Driving too fast for road conditions - contestable?

KRBissonnette

Hey, so last night at around 11:45 I was making my way back home from dropping off a friend at a bar. There was high winds and the road was wet, NO SNOW, and as I got off the Metropolitan going west I caught a group of cars in the middle lane, so I moved to the left to overtake them and came up behind a BMW who after overtaking the group of cars did not move back into the middle lane as I was behind him wanting to pass too. So I moved a little closer to push the issue, I was about a car length behind him (normally I'd go closer cuz I HATE it when people don't move over) and then just as he finally moved over an SQ car with lights flashing was signaling for me to pull over. I thought it was because I was speeding, so I got off the highway and pulled over on the service road (this was the boul Cavendish exit). The officer gets to my window and in a snarky tone says "t'as eu du fun?" and then says I was doing 125 in a 70 zone, 125 in a 100 zone, driving a meter from the car in front of me, not using my turning signals, and that they were going to suspend my license for 7 days and tow my car. Then he asks for my papers, goes back in his car, and a few minutes later his partner comes back and asks me the odometer reading and I asked what for, and he said for the towing. I was really confused as to why I was getting such a harsh penalty for something that was pretty harmless. He then asked me if there was any damage on the car, and was probably checking for illegal mods since I drive an '07 Impreza. He went back to his car again and 10 minutes later he came back to my window and told me he was giving me an $800 ticket and 14 points for what I did, and they were going to suspend my license on the spot for 7 days and have my car towed. As I gave him a confused look he then said, but I'll take away those charges and give you a $95 ticket for "Conducteur d'un vehicle routier, n'a pas reduit la vitesse du vehicle alors que la chausee n'etait pas entierrement degagee" (WHAT?! There's no snow on the road, and on that ticket there was no speed recorded so he has no proof I was doing 125), and on top of that gave me a $156 ticket for "Conducteur d'un vehicle, a suivi un autre vehicle a une distance qui n'etait pas prudente et raisonnable, compte tenu de la vitesse, de la densite de la circulation, des conditions atmospheriques et de l'etat de la chausee". Both tickets are 2 demerit points each.

Now, like I said before, they did not record the speed I was doing on the tickets, those spaces are completely empty, so like I said there was no radar or anything else to prove how fast I was going, and I certainly wasn't a meter from the car in front of me like he said, it was really a car length (yes that is TECHNICALLY too close but the fucker was hogging the left lane when no one else was around and I was looking to pass. Surely if I would've gotten fed up and passed him on the right they would've ticketed me for that). The last thing he said to me was I hope I don't see you in court for this (what the fuck is that supposed to mean?).

One of the big reasons I want to fight this is because if I lose these points I will lose my license, so I have nothing to lose to fight the tickets. Let me know what you guys think, if I have a shot and what I should do.

Contest it brotha. Tell the story exactly how it happened.

And FUCK that bmw that was camping in the left lane.

c'est deja arrivé a mon pere ca... il a essayé de lui faire peur en disant qui pouvait lui enlever son permis on the spot... mais le policier avait jamais réussi a pogner sa vitesse alors y'a rien pu lui donner

probablement qu'il t'as vu, a pas réussi a capter ta vitesse... il s'est dit tiens, ma lui faire peur, puis il t'as donné le seul ticket qui a pu te donner

c'est deja arrivé a mon pere ca... il a essayé de lui faire peur en disant qui pouvait lui enlever son permis on the spot... mais le policier avait jamais réussi a pogner sa vitesse alors y'a rien pu lui donner

probablement qu'il t'as vu, a pas réussi a capter ta vitesse... il s'est dit tiens, ma lui faire peur, puis il t'as donné le seul ticket qui a pu te donner

This.

Je te conseille pas de constester. Il a 1 an pour t'envoyer ton GEV par la poste. S'il appele la cour et se rend compte que tu as contester il risque fort de te remettre l'autre constat. Dit toi que ca aurait pu être bien pire ...

Conteste un seul des tickets, les deux sont pour la même infraction, moi j'opterais pour payer lui que tu as eu pour suivre l'autre de trop proche etc.. et je contesterais celui que la voie n'était pas dégagée car dans l'autre ticket il y a déjà la mention "des conditions atmospheriques et de l'état de la chaussée"

A moins qu'il te reste juste deux points déjà? :p

Le mieux c'est de contacter un avocat qui connait bien le csr, évite monticket.ca, j'ai du lui expliquer des lois tellement il est pas a son affaire..

Ok, mais il a ecrit absolument rien dans la section qui dit quelle vitesse que je roulais.

Dans le cas des 2 constats qu'ils t'ont remis, ils n'ont pas besoin d'inscrire ta vitesse (en tout cas du moins pour celui d'avoir suivi de trop près).

Même pour celui concernant la vitesse excessive en fonction des conditions, c'est une question de relativité entre ta vitesse et celle jugée (ouin..) excessive. Ils ont peut-être écrit une vitesse approximative dans leur partie du constat qui contient la preuve ou alors leur affaire tient sur quelque chose comme "À l'oeil, il roulait trop vite pour les conditions routières". (J'pourrais me tromper.)

Personnellement, j'trouve cette infraction là bien évasive...

the only moment this article is not contestable is when an accident did occur

in other condition it's as valid as changing the highway speed limit to ... your allowed to ride to a secure speed

the police officer is a reprentative of the law, but with a law like that he become's the law (not good) since is personnal decision become's law

and equality in justice is paramount and this law can't be

because for one cop could be no issue and for another one a big issue...a law is be be evident at is reading it is not a persons jobs to evaluate or ask police opinion after reading the law

and if you contest you opinion is as good as the one of the officier so you can't be charge whitout a doute

in normal condition cops are allowed to bypass the law (legal limits and others) to be able to get the faulty car
but if you supposedly running already to fast for road condition
then the cops will have to breach a law hard to breach the law of physics and go faster than the road condition permits and if so endangering them self and other people on the road for and subjective infraction

some time judge will get you guily if you are the only crazy one running in the left lane....but since you were...jammed by another car...you were not the only crazy one...so when alot of poeple are acting crazy it become normal behavior lol

Last edited:
Arbitraire ... voici un exemple :

Je reviens de Toronto la semaine dernière , arrivé aux alentours de Coteau du Lac ,
je vois un sq embarqué sur la 40 , direction Montréal , je roulais 105 kms ,
je ralentis pour le laisser embarquer car il roule 100 kms pile-poil sur la droite.

Une auto arrive sur la gauche dépasse très lentement 105 environ ....
le sq traverse à gauche et le colle , sans les gyrophares , le monsieur se tasse
à droite aussitôt et le sq lui colle au cul ....ca dure sur 3 kms ...je surveille la scène à distance.

Puis arrive un caravan , voie gauche , qui dépasse allègrement @ 110-115 ....je me dis que le sq
va courir après .....Pas Du Tout il colle toujours l'auto en roulant 100 kms ...

C'est tout pour les faits ....

comme quoi on se demande ce qui se passe dans la tête des sq ...?

I don't mean to be an ass but that's a ticket they don't hand out enough of .. Everytime there's bad wheater outside there's always idiots zig zagging all over the place at a 100 mph I wish they would give more of those

to be easy applicable as to be objective and not subjective
and until police as a system to measure road condition on a objective scale ...will be hard to apply

Back