Buying a car in Quebec from Ontario

edmorl

I'm trying to purchase a car from Quebec and bring it back home to Ontario, the seller won't let me leave with the vehicule unless we get the ownerships changed over. Now in Ontario all we need to do is sign a bill of sale and the previous owner isn't responsible anymore. He told me that a bill of sale is useless in Quebec pretty much. Do you guys go to get the ownership changed right away everytime you buy a used car ?

Yes, seller is still responsible here if you don't transfer ownership, even with a bill of sale

I'm sure you can get the seller to do a contract that gives you full responsibility of the car once you have it in your possession.
the contract needs to have infos like the date, complete driver's license number and insurance policy number to make sure the car is insured.

i know i had no problems when i bought a car in Ontario like 9 years ago, but again, this is like a reverse situation.
but the best bet would be to call the MTO to see if they have something they can help you with, and then confirm it with the SAAQ.

bill of sale, sign the back of registration.

then the seller go to the saaq and declare having sold the car out of province , that's it.

or you can go with him at the saaq and do everything there, but not 100% needed.

Back