how to become a financial advisor in quebec?

Selon moi, c'est essentiel pour un conseiller financier d'avoir de très bonnes aptitudes mathématiques en analyse technique pour utiliser différents modèles et algorithmes afin d'être dans les premiers sur le marché!

Selon moi, c'est essentiel pour un conseiller financier d'avoir de très bonnes aptitudes mathématiques en analyse technique pour utiliser différents modèles et algorithmes afin d'être dans les premiers sur le marché!

Ouiin sauf que jai jamais etait un gars vrmt d'analyse technique...jai tjrs etait plus fundamental...jsuis plus long terme

that's the part where the calculator and the computer come in handy.

Financial adviser, financial planner?

Do you want to be one of those on the road individuals going to peoples homes to consult/sell and bring in clients for the bank or do you want to manage clients with high net worth (millions)? You'll have to make sure you get the proper accreditation but other than that, you have to have proven results if you want to just jump into a position.

I'm not too familiar, but I have friends going down these paths. Financial adviser (Univ degree recommended + exams), financial planner (acco/finance majors or more a plus with solid grades or proven track record and basically you can't be too young, it's a perception thing + exams), wealth advisory team (team looking after very high networth clients, you'll need to have a specialty/skill, exams too duh).

Best bet, no joke, is to get in contact with a bank or other institutional and try to get more info. I had a friend that contacted one of the banks wanting to find out more about being a broker etc, they gave him a tour and showed him everything.

University Degree is highly recommended. Doesn't have to be in finance. Accounting, business administration, economics, all work. It's the certifications (AMF, CSC, etc) that'll count and the bachelor is just there to make your profile look nice. Get into a bank first, any big 5 banks. I recommend call center positions first and do your training within your bank in investments and lending. Then you can move up to the branch if you want as a financial services manager (higher tiers), or apply for other positions within the bank such as commercial analyst, mutual funds broker etc.

I'm a "Financial Advisor" at a bank, I use the term loosely because pretty much anyone can do it. University degree wasn't really a prerequisite however it is highly recommended, the only exam you need to do is the Mutual funds course (course was called Investment Funds in Canada, registers you with AMF/CSF)to be licensed to sell funds (that's all they pay for, but if you can do the CSC, do it instead).

At an entry-level bank position, however, you are an extreme generalist, doing credit, investments, and unfortunately much, much administrative work (customer service) that comes with working at such a large entity. At branch level, unfortunately, the majority of clients just want to haggle with you for an extra few points on their GIC rates, or don't understand why they get declined for loans and visa's when they have no money. It is good in a sense that it gives you a feel for everything, but it's hard to get a real mastery for it all because it's so procedure-laden it's disgusting. And on the investing side, don't think you can be using your knowledge of fundamentals because there are a limited number of funds, and an even smaller number that the "software" they make you run recommends.

The job is a must however for moving up to being a financial planner (for that you need the Pl. Fin. designation in Quebec), mostly due to the sales experience. It is a way to gain experience and figure out what you like to do, because when you say financial advisor, well there are many, many types.

Obviously being a broker is another type of financial advisor, I'm not 100% sure what you need I believe you need the Pl. Fin. designation as well. But most advisor jobs will recommend the lower-level sales experience. I have a friend at a brokerage firm as an investment associate (Finance bachelor's), and they want him to return to the branch, get the sales experience and his Pl. Fin. so that he can move up to brokerage.... so getting in directly at the investment side was of no advantage in his career path.

I'm not too sure where half the people in this thread source their information from. Once again the "financial gurus' of MR at their best...

first thing is you need to figure out what you want to do. Financial Planner or Investment advisor (Financial Advisor is a term that is kind of trown arround)

jettaballer summed it up pretty well.

to become financial planner = https://www.csi.ca/student/en_ca/designations/pfp.xhtml#tabview=tab1

To become investment advisor is much harder. It will require some university degree and many places will require a CFA but it is not required. All depends on how much money you can bring it. Generally, if you want to start in this business, you can expect to have to bring in ~20Million in 4 years.

There is also a branch level position that certain banks will have that is also called investment advisor. This is not what I am refering to. I'm talking about an IA at a full-service brokerage firm.

People ITT are confused with Financial Planner, Investment Advisor, Portfolio Manager, Investment Representative, Account Manager, etc... These are all different position are all require different levels of education.

Back