No manual gearbox for the next Porsche 911 GT3

SRB-TEAM

2013-porsche-911-gt3_460x0w.jpg

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/no-manual-gearbox-for-the-next-porsche-911-gt3-ar124713.html
The new generation Porsche 911 has started to show its new lines with the unveiling of the standard Carrera models. And Porsche will continue with the unveiling, until we will finally see the top versions if the 911 line-up. The GT3 version, set to be unveiled in 2013, is the first one that comes with a sad news: the company will only offer a PDK gearbox for it.

Porsche is currently testing both both manual and PDK versions, but according to August Achleitner, the 911 project chief, only one model will be offered in the production version and the PDK is the favorite one.

This decision has inspired by the launch of the Porsche Turbo S: "When we launched the 911 Turbo S, we did not offer a manual, but we have not had a single complaint," and the GT3 is the next logical step.

Also, Achleitner confirmed that both GT2 and GT3 will be offered with the new electromechanical steering system that has been seriously criticized for offering less driver feedback than a traditional hydraulic setup. According to him all their race drivers prefer it and the company decided to offer it.

Was about time... No mather how you love driving stick... There's no way it can be as efficient as those gearbox. Pretty sure it's going to be a Getrag transmission like the one in evo x, Gtr, m3 just to name a fews.

Before driving an evoX sst on street and track abuse I was 100% for manual gearbox. Then I realise how superior And fun... i still enjoye manual gearbox and yes it's fun but for a car like that it deserve a paddle shift

Was about time... No mather how you love driving stick... There's no way it can be as efficient as those gearbox. Pretty sure it's going to be a Getrag transmission like the one in evo x, Gtr, m3 just to name a fews.

Before driving an evoX sst on street and track abuse I was 100% for manual gearbox. Then I realise how superior And fun... i still enjoye manual gearbox and yes it's fun but for a car like that it deserve a paddle shift

Ils auraient pu simplement offrir la manuelle en option à la place de la supprimer complètement du catalogue. criss même les hummer H3 étaient disponible manuelle et je suis sur que c'était pas populaire trop trop...

In a world obsessed with 'Ring times and Ferrari not offering a manual anymore, its was bound to happen.
Although, i still think they will offer special GT versions with a Manual.....

On s'en fout de la superiorité. Y'a AUCUN autre system plus fun a conduire que le bon vieux manuel, je les ai tous essayer et oui exemple la tranny dsg est vraiment superieure mais MOINS fun. Y'a rien de plus a dire c'est vraiment pas plus compliquer.

Too bad.... they're using the wrong logic...

"We haven't had any complaints with the Turbo S PDK so far... so we're putting a PDK in the new GT3" ..... FAIL

There's a HUGE difference between a Turbo and a GT series Porsche. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Thats a shame, not a fan of this trend

I appreciate the efficiencies of it, but I still feel some of the "driver experience" is taken away

Very disappointing from a company like Porsche. The GT2 and GT3 are completely different animals consumer wise. The enthusiasts buying GT3s aren't the yuppies buying Turbos, they want a real hardcore sport car. I will lose a lot of respect for the company if they don't at least offer the 7 speed manual as an option.

If they don't offer it, it's probably because there's not enough demand.
Absolutely. PDK is the way to go for these models. When you are looking for a "real" car (GT3/GT2) you are looking for performance. And when you are looking for performance you are looking for quick shifting. Is not complicated at all.
You want a fun car? Get a Turbo,get it stick. Plenty plenty of fun.

Back