Suspended license, didn't know???

joe_vella

This morning I was stopped for "verification" because I was young and was driving a mkv GTI. She comes up to my window and says, Hi, I see the car is under a 50 year old (dad) and your a teenager driving just wanted to make sure its ur dad etc.... Well the plates are good she tells me and everythings fine I'll just need to check your license and ill be on my way. She comes back saying your license is suspended we will seize the car for 30 days etc.... I got a 444$ ticket and got my car seized because dumb ass saaq didn't send me a fucking notice. My friends told me when its important, they send u something in the mail that says u must go pick up an important document at pharmacie's etc... And I never got this(my proof is that I never signed for anything) . My question is would I be able to win in court if I contest this ticket? Is this enough proof? Would like to know if anyone went through this before. Thanks in advance everyone.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

No, the SAAQ doesn't have to send you something, although they do. It's your responsibility to make sure your SAAQ file is fine before driving a car.

Is your address the correct one?

How am I sapposed to know!?!? And yes my address is the correct one my license. What's the point of them sending u a notice if its your problem finding out?

If your licence is suspended, it's because you've lost points in infractions, speeding, red light, etc.. I don't want to sound like a jerk but you should of keep track of all the points lost.

I have all my points!?!?! I just renewed my license in january and payed extra fees for it. I even asked if I have other fees since I didn't have the probationary license anymore and my birthday was this month(every birthday u have to renew so I asked how it works) she said I don't have to pay anything and I have all my points(8)

they have to advise you if they suspend your licence ...since you have a contract with them(in some form)
the part that they don't have to advise you is when it's time to pay again to renew that contract..it's your jobs to renew to contract

for a permit to be suspended for ticket you have to get one, not pay it, get a defaut judgement, still not pay it after the reception of the information, they send the info to the saaq
saaq advice you they will suspend your licence if you don't pay

for now call the saaq to know what is happening

No, the SAAQ doesn't have to send you something, although they do. It's your responsibility to make sure your SAAQ file is fine before driving a car.

Is your address the correct one?

Can we see our saaq file on their website? Because I searched a little bit, and the only thing I have found is to check the "right to register a vehicle" based on driver licence number, but it cost 1,55$ each time. If it's supposed to be our responsability, then they need to make that free. Plus, it's not going to tell you if you have unpaid parking ticket, only when it's too late and you licence is suspended.

i don't think you will have that kind of info on the saaq web site, you will have to call or go there
the have or had a line in the past to check if a permits was valid or not...
but i don't think you will get more personal info than that via the web

what was the amount you paid when you went in January...
did you reiceve a paper with the amount or went there for something else
...just making sure they make you pay like for a month...until your birthday...they do that some time...and then you learn it the hard way

I paid about 220$ for my license. I lost 3 points from a ticket I got over a year ago(speeding 100 on a 70 zone) I guess I had to pay to get those points back.

I paid about 220$ for my license. I lost 3 points from a ticket I got over a year ago(speeding 100 on a 70 zone) I guess I had to pay to get those points back.

?? you don't buy your points back
your permits is higher if you lose points, but they come back automaticly after 2 year
with that amount you paid for a whole year for sure

^As he said, when you pay more for your license, it's not because you are buying your points back. it's a penalty for misbehaving on the roads. Your points will come back after 2 years, which leads me to think that this is the reason you have a suspended license. You thought you had bought your points back and kept driving while in reality, you still haven't gotten them back and got caught a final time causing you to have the maximum allowed demerit points. Also as mentioned, ignorance of the law and your driving status/record is not a reason. You should be aware of anything and everything that concerns you at all times. Driving is a privilege, not a right, and with privileges come obligations, one of which is to make sure your license is valid at all times.

Now, for your driving record, there is a place on saaq website where you can ask to have your driving record mailed to you free of charge. It takes a few days but will give you an up to date report of your driving record, demerit points, infractions currently on your record and any past major infractions (extreme high speeds, etc.) You simply need to enter your drivers license and follow the instructions.

Bottom of the page, click begin:

http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/saaqclic/en/public/drivingrecord/index.php

I only got 1 ticket in my life and lost 3 points. If I didn't get my points back (which I did cause I did wait two years with my probationary license) I would have 1 instead of 4. The lady at the desk told me I have all my points (8) when I renewed my license.

^As he said, when you pay more for your license, it's not because you are buying your points back. it's a penalty for misbehaving on the roads. Your points will come back after 2 years, which leads me to think that this is the reason you have a suspended license. You thought you had bought your points back and kept driving while in reality, you still haven't gotten them back and got caught a final time causing you to have the maximum allowed demerit points. Also as mentioned, ignorance of the law and your driving status/record is not a reason. You should be aware of anything and everything that concerns you at all times. Driving is a privilege, not a right, and with privileges come obligations, one of which is to make sure your license is valid at all times.

Now, for your driving record, there is a place on saaq website where you can ask to have your driving record mailed to you free of charge. It takes a few days but will give you an up to date report of your driving record, demerit points, infractions currently on your record and any past major infractions (extreme high speeds, etc.) You simply need to enter your drivers license and follow the instructions.

Bottom of the page, click begin:

http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/saaqclic/en/public/drivingrecord/index.php

Thanks, I saw that page but wasn't sure if unpaid parking ticket would show up on your driving record. It's not clear if "offences committed" take that into acount. Because with unpaid parking ticket they can suspend your licence, right? And ideally you should be able to see those ticket before they suspend your licence. How long between the moment you receive your ticket and the moment your licence is supended?

Thanks, I saw that page but wasn't sure if unpaid parking ticket would show up on your driving record. It's not clear if "offences committed" take that into acount. Because with unpaid parking ticket they can suspend your licence, right? And ideally you should be able to see those ticket before they suspend your licence. How long between the moment you receive your ticket and the moment your licence is supended?
could be for ever !
anyway they have to follow the process
if you don't pay a parking ticket
they will advise the saaq, the saaq will advise you of the event and that they will cut yer driving privilege soon

Parking tickets are not driving offenses so they will not show up. However, they WILL send you a letter letting you know that your license will be suspended until you pay said tickets. I believe it is after 5 mailed notices that they then go to a license suspension for parking tickets, but I can't confirm this as it's been well over 5 years since this has happened to me.

apelle
la
saaq

I cant beleive you have been asking questions here for 4 days without calling the SAAQ... Only them will be able to tell you why your license has been suspended

So close your internet, grab the phone and call the SAAQ

Back