Espresso conaisseurs in here please!

fredericroumi

Legacy Member
So I received a Tassimo machine for Christmas and got hooked on Espresso ever since. I also realized that if I drink a good quality coffee in the morning I'm set for the day and don't need to drink another 3 throughout the day!!

That being said, and since my stupid Tassimo broke down on me four times in 3 months I decided to look for a real Espresso machine but wow is it ever so complicated! Machines vary from $200 to $5000 and all have different features, specs, bells & whistles (some that are probably more important than others).

The primary reason for my thread is to get some input as to what I should be looking out for and what I should avoid. Throughout my quick research I found a Breville BES830XL machine on sale from $449 to $299, does anyone have experience with this machine or can give me feedback on it?

Thanks for your help MR !

Last edited:
So I received a Tassimo machine for Christmas and got hooked on Expresso ever since. I also realized that if I drink a good quality coffee in the morning I'm set for the day and don't need to drink another 3 throughout the day!!

That being said, and since my stupid Tassimo broke down on me four times in 3 months I decided to look for a real Expresso machine but wow is it ever so complicated! Machines vary from $200 to $5000 and all have different features, specs, bells & whistles (some that are probably more important than others).

The primary reason for my thread is to get some input as to what I should be looking out for and what I should avoid. Throughout my quick research I found a Breville BES830XL machine on sale from $449 to $299, does anyone have experience with this machine or can give me feedback on it?

Thanks for your help MR !

NESPRESSO....

You will thank me later.

je peux te donner mon expérience personnelle
je possède une Breville 860xl et je ne retournerais jamais en arrière
excellente machine avec moulin intégré, elle fait une super belle mousse, elle a un filtre pour l'eau du robinet, le café est toujours excellent, super fiable et facile d'entretient
en plus, elle est programmable, définitivement un plus

en fait, ca fait 1 an que je l'ai et j'ai jamais entretenu la machine, je bois 3 4 cafés par jour, et le café est aussi bon que le jour 1
j'ai juste faite les nettoyages

je pense que son défaut c'est qu'elle a des tuyaux de plastiques qui peuvent fondre si tu fais pas attention et que tu fais un café sans avoir d'eau

reste loin de Delonghi... des ostis de cochonneries

The manual breville machine makes great coffee (surprisingly)... I've tried lots of different pre-grinded coffee with this machine and the best coffee for this machineis the Kimbo gold. It'll give you a very thick foam and great tasting coffee.

Personally I wouldn't spend too much money on those newer Breville's with the integrated grinders, but to each his own. I spent 230$ on the Breville and it makes incredible espresso (again, with the Kimbo).

If you decide to go with a higher end manual machine, put more money on the grinder than the espresso machine itself. The grind is most probably the most important aspect on getting a good espresso. Each type of coffee needs the grind to be adjusted for full flavor to come out of the machine. Added to that, the time the grains were roasted will also have an effect on the grind. Once you find the perfect match, you'll be happy.

I have the cheap 159$ breville and I'm happy with it. So I guess the better one is even better. I'm planning to upgrade soon but in 6 months with the cheap one i have nothing but good things to say about it.

Ive had a delonghi for 5 years and i get amazing creamy espresso from it, part of it is the machine the other part is the coffee you use, my fav is Lavazza crema e Gusto.

It's called espresso FYI.

Haha, thanks...Edited.

je peux te donner mon expérience personnelle
je possède une Breville 860xl et je ne retournerais jamais en arrière
excellente machine avec moulin intégré, elle fait une super belle mousse, elle a un filtre pour l'eau du robinet, le café est toujours excellent, super fiable et facile d'entretient
en plus, elle est programmable, définitivement un plus

en fait, ca fait 1 an que je l'ai et j'ai jamais entretenu la machine, je bois 3 4 cafés par jour, et le café est aussi bon que le jour 1
j'ai juste faite les nettoyages

je pense que son défaut c'est qu'elle a des tuyaux de plastiques qui peuvent fondre si tu fais pas attention et que tu fais un café sans avoir d'eau

Merci de partager ton expérience personelle! Je considérais la 860xl mais je voulais absolument la partie pour l'eau bouillante. J'ai donc acheté la 830xl et je vais me procurer un moulin a grains séparé. Je l'ai essayé cet après-midi et wow...

En passant, quel café utilise-tu? De ou est-ce que tu l'achète? Et quel filtre utilise-tu?

The manual breville machine makes great coffee (surprisingly)... I've tried lots of different pre-grinded coffee with this machine and the best coffee for this machineis the Kimbo gold. It'll give you a very thick foam and great tasting coffee.

Personally I wouldn't spend too much money on those newer Breville's with the integrated grinders, but to each his own. I spent 230$ on the Breville and it makes incredible espresso (again, with the Kimbo).

If you decide to go with a higher end manual machine, put more money on the grinder than the espresso machine itself. The grind is most probably the most important aspect on getting a good espresso. Each type of coffee needs the grind to be adjusted for full flavor to come out of the machine. Added to that, the time the grains were roasted will also have an effect on the grind. Once you find the perfect match, you'll be happy.

Thanks for the advice. Where do you get your Kimbo coffee? Do you grind it yourself?

J'ai ma breville depuis 2 ans et je ne suis pas déçu. J'ai fait 2 ou 3 nettoyage jusqu'à maintenant, elle donne toujours un aussi bon café. Nettoie la bien après utilisation et tu n'auras pas de problème. Le creama est très épais et mousse le lait numéro un.

Comme dit précédemment, la mouture est pratiquement plus importante que la machine. Trop gros tu n'aurais pas une bonne infusion et trop fin et le café ne coulera pas. Surtout avec une machine d'entré de gamme qui n'a pas une pression à tout casser.

Pour un lait bien moussé, garde toujours ton pot à mousser le lait au congélateur, ça aide pas mal.

Yea, I think you'll be happy with whatever you get (especially coming from a Tassimo!).

I've had a manual Saeco machine for 4 months and love it. I prefer to grind and pack my own beans so that I can make it a little more bitter if I'm making a latte vs. an espresso shot, etc. I also find the taste is much better than the automatic machines.

I have yet to buy an expensive grinder, although I keep hearing that's the most important part. However, I like this little progression thing I'm doing... I started drinking from an automatic espresso machine (too weak for my taste), then I got the manual machine, eventually I'll get a high quality grinder, higher quality beans, and finally a BAWS espresso machine.

I prefer progressing so that I can appreciate the benefit each component brings to the espresso.

I prefer progressing so that I can appreciate the benefit each component brings to the espresso.

Boom! Exactly what I'm thinking...The day I will be ready, I will be able to justify a $5k machine!

What coffee do you guys use and where is the best place to get it? I don't have a grinder yet but am planning on getting one in the next few days and will be ready to grind!

Thanks for all your input guys...

For those of you who don't like to spend too much on a machine and still want to have a nice rich taste, take a look at the Bodum machine (french-press).

Its make excellent coffee for less than 50$. Only disadvantage is that you have to clean it after using it unlike the one-cup style machine.

Fuck it. Saeco or nothing.
The new Synthia looks AMAZING for a good price.
Get your grains at Q-Bec coffee on Lapierre in LaSalle. They have loads of imported italian grain.

I have the cheap 159$ breville and I'm happy with it. So I guess the better one is even better. I'm planning to upgrade soon but in 6 months with the cheap one i have nothing but good things to say about it.

Haha, thanks...Edited.

Merci de partager ton expérience personelle! Je considérais la 860xl mais je voulais absolument la partie pour l'eau bouillante. J'ai donc acheté la 830xl et je vais me procurer un moulin a grains séparé. Je l'ai essayé cet après-midi et wow...

En passant, quel café utilise-tu? De ou est-ce que tu l'achète? Et quel filtre utilise-tu?

Thanks for the advice. Where do you get your Kimbo coffee? Do you grind it yourself?

It's pregrinded. That's why I use it for this machine. At my house I use different coffee with my other manual machine and grinder. if you do get the Breville, try it out at least once. you'll be surprised. You can get it at most italian grocery shops. I'm pretty sure IGA carries it as well.

sincèrement j'achète jamais le même café, j'adore essayer de nouvelles sortes, à date mon préféré c'est une marque pas connue qui vendent dans un p'tit centre d'achat a Brossard... je me souviens même pas du nom du café mais maudit qu'il est bon
pour ce qui est du moulin à café, c'est vrai... mais ca me tentais pas d'avoir plein d'appareils sur le comptoire... et celui qui vient de base avec ma machine est pas mal
j'imagine que ton modèle vient avec le dual wall aussi? c'est cool quand t'as jamais faite d'espresso manuel, mais apres 4-5 cafés tu peux passer au filtre normal

pour faire de la belle mousse, mon truc c'est d'utiliser du lait écrémé le plus froid possible... dans la tasse qui vient avec la machine je mets environ 2cm de lait, je mousse le lait en faisant un mouvement de haut en bas en sortant presque la buse du lait... je m'assure également de faire tourner le laid en tourbillon, quand tu sens que le le lait commence a bouillir, tu arretes... ensuite je mets la mousse dans le congélateur une trentaine de secondes et je verse dans la tasse en tenant la mousse avec une cuillère, ensuite je mets la mousse par dessus... oui cé long, mais quelle saveur quand tu bois le café et que la mousse est bien compacte

Last edited:
tiens v'la une photo de ce que ca l'air avec ma technique... ca pas l'air sur la photo, mais est épaisse en siouplait
PgV4J.jpg

Tu fais pas de dessins dans ta mousse? :D

Moi non plus... j’essaie à chaque fois, ça fini en grosse tache pas rapport.

Back