Nitto NT-05 - Dunlop StarSpec Z1 - Bridgestone RE-11

SleeperSpeed3

I have been using the Bridgestone RE-11 for the last two years as a dual duty tire, street and track. I used to run 215/45/18.
This year, I will run 235/40/18. And since I don't feel like spending over $1400 on a set of tire (want to save to buy other parts), I wonder which alternative will give me similar performance.

I have read many reviews for the Dunlop StarSpec Z1, and the Nitto NT-05. All seem to point towards the NT-05 as being better on the track.
I have also heard about the RS-3, but I saw many reviews showing that grip is significantly decreasing as the tire wears. Something I would rather avoid. My RE-11's grip remained even once totally worned out.

So, anyone here with track experience with the NT-05 Dry and Wet? How this compares to the StarSpec Z1? I heard that the Z1 gets greasy when hot?

All input welcome.

From what I have heard the Starspec is hard to beat in the wet. IMO for pure dry driving the kumho Xs they were the cheapest price to performance.

I loved my RE11. Switch to Kumho Ecsta to go cheaper. And guess what, pay less get less LOL.

The kumho were good tires, but the re11 were so much better. Consistant grip with heat, tire
would last longer and a much better feeling because of the better sidewall. The grip was better too.

Tried the nitto nt01 for more grip but the feeling and sidewall on the re11 was still
so much better.

Will probably go back to the re11...

I'm considering going to the Nitto NT-05 when my tires are finised.

My buddy has these on his M3, and he tracks. He says they just need to warm up a bit but are great, they suck for drag. Wet was also said to be very good

I'm debating between NT-05 and the RS-3, price being a factor and wear, i might lean towards the Nitto

I've been running the RE-11s last season, still a fair amount of tread left and I have to say I've been very pleased. Granted, they are on the expen$ive side, but as dede333 stated, you get what you pay for.

Ask FifthGear: he has RE-11s on his A5 as well and ran the NT-05 on his M3 last summer, so he can maybe give you a good comparison.

Cheers!

I've tried all of those. The Hankook R-S3 will give you the most grip out of any street tire on the track. Turn-in is squishier than a true r-compound, but grip levels are in the same ballpark as a lower end r-comp (e.g., RA-1 or NT-01).

If you can find them in your size, buy them and don't think twice.

I've been running the RE-11s last season, still a fair amount of tread left and I have to say I've been very pleased. Granted, they are on the expen$ive side, but as dede333 stated, you get what you pay for.
Not in this case :p R-S3's grip better in the wet and dry, plus they cost less. Can't go wrong.

In my opinion NT05 < RE11. Everyone's talking about the R-S3s though, and even Carl had highly recommended them.

Looks like NT05 < RE11 < R-S3. Seems like you can't go wrong with the RS-3 like LanEvo said.

Tire choice is a very personal thing though, and opinions seem to vary from driver-to-driver. One thing's for sure is that the RE11s have been the favourite tire I've had so far.

I haven't tried the RS3, but I have used the NT05, RE11 and SSZ1s. On my BMW 335 coupe, the Dunlop's had the best grip by far. RE11 remained the most consistent throughout the life of the tire with the NT05 close behind. The downside on the Dunlops is as they get overheated they become less trustworthy and wear (chunk in fact). I wanted to try AD08, but migrated to NT01 and R888. Have settled on NT01 for now.

I would definitively get the NT01 if I had a set dedicated for track.
I will give the RS-3 a try for this year. If not happy, I will go back to my RE-11 next season.

It's not only about grip...
Steering response, feedback, how long they last, how consistant they are after they
get really hot...
My NT01 were faster but the "ride" was better with the RE11.

Time attack is only about speed, lapping is not and when a tire loose grip after 10-15min it sucks bad.
+ your $$$ are melting away.

If I had more $$ I wouldn't ask and run Hoosier slick LOL

I'm dailying NT05 (235/40R18 on an 18x8.5 Wheel) and I love them, simply love them! They are actually pretty decent in the wet but just like in the dry, they hold amazingly well until you turn the wheel to a certain point where they just let go. They also have to be pretty hot to be effective. Thread wear is pretty good.

Overall, simple LOVE those tires, will def. stay with nitto for a long time!

I'll post a review late summer to share my experience R-S3 vs. RE-11.

Time attack is only about speed, lapping is not and when a tire loose grip after 10-15min it sucks bad.
+ your $$$ are melting away.

If I had more $$ I wouldn't ask and run Hoosier slick LOL

I'm dailying NT05 (235/40R18 on an 18x8.5 Wheel) and I love them, simply love them! They are actually pretty decent in the wet but just like in the dry, they hold amazingly well until you turn the wheel to a certain point where they just let go. They also have to be pretty hot to be effective. Thread wear is pretty good.

Overall, simple LOVE those tires, will def. stay with nitto for a long time!

Yep, the NT01 work best at small slip angles. Give too much steering input and they lose grip quickly. But the feel/feedback was very good so it was easy to correct and regain grip by undwinding a bit. Complete opposite of an R1R which works at absurd slip angles. (with the CRX) I literally was using almost 1/4 turn less steering input everywhere with the NT01 compared to the R1R. The RS3 was somewhere between the two in that respect and speed as well.

Back