OFFICIAL- getting into the sport- but too lazy to read all the threads

As someone who has taken the AISA Academy twice; it is one of the best ways to get into the sport.

As someone who works for the Club, you'll never find a better deal elsewhere -- we make sure of it!!!

A lot of people think that you just take a school and instantly your driving at 110%. That isn't the case. With the AISA Academy, it is two days of learning everything from basic driving and 'looking where you are going' exercises. After that you learn how to take corners, how to brake... eventually you start to pick up the pace -- while driving at your own pace. Nobody will force you into anything you don't want to do. When we make a suggestion; its not a risky one.. and when we say go faster.. it doesn't mean 40kph faster... maybe 3 or 4kph. You try, and you learn.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers

+ 1 pour l'AISA pour le rapport Qualité/Prix/Temps de piste. pour l'été.

Meccaglisse reste pour moi le meilleur centre pour la conduite hivernale Formation conduite préventive, sportive et rallye.
il y'a des 1/2 Journée d'initiation sur Subaru WRX 2011 (265hp.)

Et il y'a encore plein d'autre possibilité... Le Club BMW Québec qui organise des HPDE sur différent circuit a peu de frais. (toute marques de voiture accepté.

Nous sommes vraiment chanceux d'avoir toutes ces possibilité autour de montréal.
Y'a donc aucune raison de faire le clown sur la voie publique.

There are a variety of car clubs that run excellent high-performance driver education (HPDE) events in Quebec. I'm partial to the BMW Club, but the Audi Club and Porsche Club also run great events locally.

One nice thing about these large, well-established, international clubs is that they allow you to experience all the premier circuits in the region: Tremblant, Calabogie, Mosport, and Watkins Glen. Nothing wrong with ICAR, but you really can't compare it to Tremblant.

With groups like the BMW CCA, PCA, and NASA, I've done events as far south as Sebring. I haven't done it yet, but CCA members can even get in on events at the classic circuits of Europe, including the Nurburgring, Spa-Francorchamps, Hockenheim, Silverstone, etc. It's nice to be plugged into that community.

Getting into lapping...

So...

I want to start lapping this summer (finally...duh). I will of course start off with the car I have now, an Audi A4, but that is really just to get on the track and get a feel for things (The car is in great shape so I don't want to ruin it, nor do I want to put up with the maintenance costs of a tracked A4...) and then I want to buy an ECO box specifically for track use. Now I want to hear some suggestions as to what should I look for...

I am particularly interested in availability of parts, I want the car to be very cheap to run and to insure. I don't care if it is slow/not very powerful because I want to learn to drive, not win races and blast past M3s along the straights. I also want to make sure it won't piss oil all over the place, that is of course with regular oil changes on my end.

So far things that have crossed my mind are:

1. Honda Civic HB/Sedan: parts are all over the place, cheap to run, brakes are cheap etc etc. Possibility of head gasket issues? I don't know much about civics, just know they have VTAK and that's pretty much it. Never been interested and I do not like them that much, but in this case it could work well as a go-kart. High insurance?

2. Mazda protege... Should have cheaper insurance that the civic and possibly same prices for parts and maintenance but I know they are prone to burning oil. My MX3 used to burn oil, my friend's Protege burns oil, my other friends older 323 burned oil... etc etc.

3. Nissan sentra? I hear the recent ones are unreliable but I really don't know anything about them. Maintenance costs? etc?

4. Dodge Neon? Just looking at what Gregster has been tracking and revving the shit out of. I don't know how reliable it was though or how strong the engine is...

Any other inpout is greatly appreciated. Basically I am looking for something as cheap as possible to buy, I don't care if its slow, I want the parts to be inexpensive, cheap insurance, stripping most of the interior and just having fun without covering the track in oil or putting the surrounding drivers in danger.

one way insurance is your friend.

As for the rest, search other discussions, this topic has been addressed many times and somehow the civic keeps standing out.

Welcome to the sport and see you this season.

The best choice is civic other than that it will cost you more for the maintenance and if you want to upgrade it easy and you can have access to a lot of parts

There is a reason why at every track days, most of the cars are Honda/Acura.
Some of the fastest cars too are Honda...

Any other input is greatly appreciated. Basically I am looking for something as cheap as possible to buy, I don't care if its slow, I want the parts to be inexpensive, cheap insurance, stripping most of the interior and just having fun without covering the track in oil or putting the surrounding drivers in danger.

Good start !

The key here is regular inspection, and from an off event, from an expert on your model AND one who understands Lapping/Racing.They will know where to look.

That's pretty good insurance. *tu*

Of course the easy way is to go with Honda. But If you want more torque and to be different you can look for a Jetta or Golf. Availability of the parts are very good and the insurance cost very low for the Jetta.

^Don't get me wrong, I would opt for an e36 WAY before any civic but here in Quebec it is extremely difficult to find one that is even remotely clean and they are all overpriced to hell. Then come the mods which are considerably more expensive than the ones for the civic. I would love to track an e36 but we are moving far away from the initially intended spendings :p

Thanks for the input guys!

Focus is good but they are more expensive to built and you have less part available I'm sticking with my focus cause I have put a lot of work and money on it but if I was starting a new project the civic would be my choice

One thing I would recommend to anyone thinking about building a Civic is to get an Integra instead, saves the hassle of engine swaps and rear discs. From my experiance it ends up deing cheaper in the long run.

Civic/Teggy all the way!! Cheap, parts everywhere and endless engine swaps. It's the best bang for your buck. But you can sometimes find an already built E36 for a good price in the Boston Area.

Neon well if this was 2000 or 2001 then yes because back then you actually had parts from a ton of vendors and from Mopar. Now you have really nothing and what you do have costs a ton. I only built one because I had spare parts around and I knew the car like the back of my hand. Also unless you are willing to spend serious cash on an SRT-4 engine swap for power you'll be getting run over. The 2.0L DOHC doesn't have that much after market support these days and will still need a ton of bolt on's to be even remotely quick.. I say quick and not fast.. Looking at power levels of cars on the track these days 200hp is the bare min. Those straight's get boring quick when everyone is blowing by you.... There is a Neon guy who actually got fed up of the OEM power plant but didn't want to go turbo. His solution is swapping in a K Series from a Type S.... It's sad that Mopar gave up and all the good vendors that made parts , Howell, TTi, Vitor, Blackdog etc either went under or stopped making parts because the demand wasn't there.

I was turning about 7800-8000rpm according to my S-AFC read out and 5peed can confirm. My pcm theoretical cutoff was 8200rpm. I never had any engine issues but my car did start to smoke blue on lift off after 15 mins on the track. Regardless turning this much RPM my car was still slowww compared to what's out there now. I could keep up with most swapped Civic's but lightly modded GSR swapped Civic's was pushing it at tracks with long straights.

If I were compelled to build another car I would do the Kswap in the Neon just to troll.

Last edited:
Back