Do you prefill your oil filter before installing it?

mathieums

Do you prefill your oil filter before installing it?

Had an argument on that topic with a coworker and was wondering what mr think?

whats the point? lol

I'd like to hear why you would need some inside before the oil pump throws some in lmao

whats the point? lol

I'd like to hear why you would need some inside before the oil pump throws some in lmao

Honestly, I just spent about an hour reading on that topic on many other forums and couldn't come to a conclusion. Some people say you need to prefill to prevent the engine from running dry while the oil fill the filter before reaching the important parts (more importantly if you have a turbo).

Others says you can't because you could possibly send unfiltered oil into the engine. I have read somewhere about a ducati motor bike owners saying that ducati say if you prefill your filter it could possibly hydrolock your lubrication system in some ways.......................

Honestly, I just spent about an hour reading on that topic on many other forums and couldn't come to a conclusion. Some people say you need to prefill to prevent the engine from running dry while the oil fill the filter before reaching the important parts (more importantly if you have a turbo).

Others says you can't because you could possibly send unfiltered oil into the engines. I have read somewhere about a ducati motor bike owners saying that ducati say if you prefill your filter it could possibly hydrolock your lubrication system in some ways.......................

your car is never really empty you know this?

your car is never really empty you know this?

Yeah I know.

I personally never prefill my filters.

But a lot of my coworkers does and I wanted to know what is best.

Couldn't find an answer.

Apparently (from what I've read on the internet) Caterpilar say never do this, but for dodge ram owners who have a cummins diesel engine, in the cummins owner's manual its written to alwasy prefill the filter.

Yeah I know.

I personally never prefill my filters.

But a lot of my coworkers does and I wanted to know what is best.

Couldn't find an answer.

Apparently (from what I've read on the internet) Caterpilar say never do this, but for dodge ram owners who have a cummins diesel engine, in the cummins owner's manual its written to alwasy prefill the filter.

personally i would never do this! NEVER don't want to overfill my engine! always putting filter then running car around 5 sec turn off check oil level and fill if needed

I do it on my caprice 'cause there's about 1.5 liters in the filter alone, and it installs from the bottom up.
The Acura has the filter mounted horizontaly, I don't fill it up.

I dont do it to save my engine from damage or whatever... it's just a habit, what's it going to hurt anyways :p

Si l'angle du filtre sur le véhile le permet, je remplie toujours.

Et quand c'est un rebuild du moteur complet. je prime la pression d'huile en crankant le moteur sans spark plug et fuel jusqua sque la pression monte.

I do it on my caprice 'cause there's about 1.5 liters in the filter alone, and it installs from the bottom up.
The Acura has the filter mounted horizontaly, I don't fill it up.

I dont do it to save my engine from damage or whatever... it's just a habit, what's it going to hurt anyways :p

1.5l!! wow that's a big filter

The oil pump, pumps it so fast threw the oil filter, A second or 3 of no oil pressure is harmless. But if you demand perfection like myself, then fill up the filter.

Back