Canada's largest Protestant church approves boycott of Israeli settlement products

Sandro_Bit

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diploma...ycott-of-israeli-settlement-products-1.459281

Canada's largest Protestant church has approved a boycott of products made in Israeli settlements.

Meeting in Ottawa, the governing General Council of the United Church of Canada's General Council on Friday supported a resolution calling for a boycott of goods produced in the West Bank and eastern Jerusalem.

Details of how the boycott will be applied will be determined in the coming weeks and months, officials told the National Post.

The resolution calls on church members "to avoid any and all products produced in the settlements"; requests that the Canadian government ensure that "all products produced in the settlements be labeled clearly and differently from products of Israel"; and requests that products produced in the settlements not be given preferential treatment under the Canada-Israel Free Trade Agreement.

The boycott does not extend to products produced inside Israel's pre-1967 borders.

Prior to the final vote, the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs said it was "outraged" at the bid to boycott settlement products, saying the "decision represents a radical shift in the United Church's policies, betrays the views of the vast majority of its members and flies in the face of decades of constructive interfaith dialogue."
The Friends of Simon Wiesenthal Center for Holocaust Studies also criticized the bid at the time, with president and CEO, Avi Benlolo saying in a statement that "I don't know if church members truly understand how utterly offensive and imbalanced this proposal is, or whether a latent anti-Semitism within the church is slowly coming back to life."

Last edited:
Avi Benlolo saying in a statement that "I don't know if church members truly understand how utterly offensive and imbalanced this proposal is, or whether a latent anti-Semitism within the church is slowly coming back to life."

I wonder if he knows how utterly offensive and unbalanced the occupation of Palestine is?

more power to this church.

israel needs to be exposed and these settlements need to be rid off.. being built on illegally occupied lands

Anyone who's been to the west bank knows that the area is a cesspool of religious fanatics and violent people. Any woman near the outskirts of eastern jerusalem to the edge of the west bank is at risk of being stoned simply for not adhering to religious dress codes of the local fanatics. The orthodox jewish settlers, sunni and shiite muslims all fighting each other over their religions that they cant make any sense out of. I think this boycott isnt a bad idea.

Although i dont understand how this boycott was passed by the church as 80% of the members of the church wished to stay neutral and not get involved...

The place Palestinians have been living in for thousands of years that israel is trying to take from them.

Oh yes, the place where the Israelite kingdoms and states also ruled intermittently for hundreds of years. Israelites have no history in Israel, only Palestinians do. Only Palestinians lived in this region. There is no other historical evidence to prove that other peoples also lived in that area. Makes sense.

I'm saying that neither people has the right to kick another group out.

And yes, that's hypocritical coming from north Americans.

Many people have been living in the area for thousands of years, many christians, many muslims, and many jews. I dont think you really understand the situation, the history of the region or the nature of the propaganda that you bought. Maybe visit israel and speak to the locals, see how they live.

For those who are interested:

Pre World War 2

And as for palestinian land, there was never such a thing as palestine, the closest thing to it was the british mandate for palestine (the sinai, gaza strip, modern day israel, the west bank) in an area as large as syria with a population of 100,000 jews and 900,000 arabs. In the 1917 belfour declaration the british made public their intent to eventually divide the land among the jews and the palestinians in proportion to the population and location, meaning that ~10% of the land would be given to the jews and the rest to the arabs. The british promoted immigration of jews to the region for the next 20 years as well as freedom of speech and many other rights the locals were denied during the ottoman empire, in fact the local population of arabs were not recognized as possessing any sort of land or freedom of speech until 1917. In an effort to stop the immigration of the jews the arabs launched a jihad against the jews of jerusalem in the 1920s. Arab newspapers were published declaring that the only way to rid the area of jews was through violence, thus encouraging violence. And there was violence, well documented by the british empire as their own police forces became occasional victims of the violence.

In an effort to ease the tension the british empire made the area east of the jordan river (a huge piece of land with the majority of the arab population) an area where the jews could not immigrate to. Thus creating Trans-Jordan. After belfour proved to increase tension among the two populations to the point of open violence, the jewish population increased their pressure on the british for a 2-state solution. In 1937 the peel commission proposed a division which gave the jewish population 20% of the remaining mandate of palestine in an area of the region where the majority of the population was jewish. This partition was accepted by the jews and rejected by the arabs, even though the area which the jews were given, was mostly jewish.

Now lets not forget the arab leader of the area at the time (al husseini) was in the process of planning a holocaust of his own before he was exiled by the british government.

Post World War 2

The british relinquished control of the mandate of palestine to the newly formed UN who then drafted a partition plan that would divide the land almost equally among the jewish and arab population, which again, was rejected by the arabs and accepted by the jews. At that period in time the arab population made it public to the UN that any partition of the land would mean war, and the death of all the jews in the region.

When the UN accepted this 2 state resolution, and Israel became a country, egypt, jordan, syria, lebanon and iraq invaded israel, using palestinian land as staging ground. At the time the arab league secretary general let everyone know that the jews will be massacred with no survivors. So the goal was not to take the land, but to kill all the jews. But this is no secret, the words used were "this will be a war of extermination". Israel won the war, and expanded by 40%. Note that the land they took in many cases was used as staging ground for arab attacks. I do not have a doubt in my mind that if the arab league had won, there would still be no palestine today, just larger regions for each of the victorious countries. As is evident because of the actions of egypt and jordan post-war.

Jordan occupied the palestinian west bank, made it part of Jordan, denied the palestinians citizenship or basic rights, but hey, they gave them tents to live in right?

Egypt then took the Gaza strip, which belonged to palestine under the UN charter, so why did they take it right? Not only did they take the gaza strip but they denied the palestinians any rights and defended the border of egypt and gaza with a "shoot first, ask later" policy towards the palestinian population attempting to enter egypt. Wasnt the goal of this war to exterminate the jews and create the land of palestine? Well, mainly to exterminate the jews i guess, a land for the arabs named palestine was just a convenient excuse.

The egyptians and jordanians had no intention of giving the palestinians any size of land, and the new palestinian leader, arafat, didnt protest the occupation. Now why wouldnt he? Why wouldnt such an abid Palestinian independance advocate, advocate for the egyptions and jordanians to cease their arab on arab occupation?

The answer is simple, the egyptian and jordanian governments are far less tolerant than the israeli government with issues such as these. This may be surprising to hear for those who think they know anything about this conflict but do not know the history of the surrounding countries.

As an example: black september in jordan, 1970, a conflict that last 1 year, but in the initial weeks, more palestinians were killd by jordanian tanks and weapons than in 64 years in israel. 20 000+ palestinians were killed because king hussein declared that the palestinians were a threat to his legitimacy as a ruler, so they had to be put in their place. This is one of many large scale palestinian massacres perpetrated by an arab country.

If the countries of egypt, iraq, jordan, syria and lebanon were so concerned about the palestinians and eliminating the jews in 1948, than why didnt the powerful iraqi army that was still stationed in jordan after the 1967 war attempt to intervene in this massacre or offer asylum to palestinian victims?

No one is innocent in this conflict, but to say that israel stole palestinian land is a straight up lie. All these conspiracy theory websites, anti israel websites, international community to save palestine organization and similar entities are teaching history that was re-written by them in the last 20 years, if anyone took the time to look for the original documentation on these conflicts, the british write ups on the situation during the 20s 30s and 40s, local newspapers from the time. The UN accounting of how the countries came to be in the late 40s and 50s. They would realise that this land was not stolen.

I doubt anyone here would actually visit israel or the west bank. But if you do, you would realise that much of the anti israel propaganda is unfounded, and exagerated. There are some areas that you can cut the tension with a knife, but thats only in some areas of jerusalem and the west bank and yes a portion of the arab and jewish populations dont like eachother but in the same way that white americans and mexican americans dont like each other if anything.

Last edited:

Last I heard there are over 1,000,000 Arabs living in Israel with full rights and benefits. What happened to them? How come didn't they get kicked out? You suddenly switched from "Israel is occupying" to "neither people has the right to kick another group out".

Last I heard there are over 1,000,000 Arabs living in Israel with full rights and benefits. What happened to them? How come didn't they get kicked out? You suddenly switched from "Israel is occupying" to "neither people has the right to kick another group out".

Deysh has a point.

The 1,000,000 arabs that live inside the borders of israel make 4-5 times the salary of the next best arab country, and have more rights and freedoms, religiously and otherwise than any middle eastern country. Israel is the only country in the middle east where one can safely practice islam, christianity, judaism or any other religion. The ramadan feasts in northern israel are open to all, jews christians, whoever. Show me another country in the middle east that does that.

You wont find this information on pallywood media, or other anti israel websites though, it doesnt support their image.

I didn't switch at all, my first statement is that israelis are pushing palestianians out, my second statement was that I think they should both live there.

And last I heard, palestinians didn't have tanks and fighter jets and smart bombs. They have rocks and a vengeful god.

Deysh has a point.

The 1,000,000 arabs that live inside the borders of israel make 4-5 times the salary of the next best arab country, and have more rights and freedoms, religiously and otherwise than any middle eastern country. Israel is the only country in the middle east where one can safely practice islam, christianity, judaism or any other religion. The ramadan feasts in northern israel are open to all, jews christians, whoever. Show me another country in the middle east that does that.

You wont find this information on pallywood media, or other anti israel websites though, it doesnt support their image.

and here i thought u knew ur stuff , syria was like that b4 all this non sence

also it was fair for syria to lose most of its coast line because israel needed water right ? thats kosher to

and here i thought u knew ur stuff , syria was like that b4 all this non sence

also it was fair for syria to lose most of its coast line because israel needed water right ? thats kosher to

Fair enough skylox, show me where i said Syria was or was not like israel as i described it BEFORE all this nonsense, and ill admit i dont know my stuff lol!

I would like to point out that you should read about the Hama massacre where 40,000 syrians of Hama were killed 15,000 missing and 100,000 expelled with explosives and tank shells from a blockade of the city over 27 days because they did not approve of the government.

In terms of Syria losing most of its coastline, if you're referring to the lake in the Golan Heights (which isnt really a coast line, syria only shares a coastline with Lebanon), that land was won by israel during the 6 day war. Which I now know, you know nothing about.

90% of the land israel won through war since 1967 was returned to the respective countries, with the exception of the golan heights among others. Israel offered the land back to syria just a few days after the end of the war, in exchange for a peace agreement between the two nations. However, Syria REJECTED this offer in light of the Khartoum Resolution procured during the 1967 Arab League Summit, through which the syrians declared the famous 3 NOs. NO peace with israel, NO recognition of israel and NO negotiations with israel.

Syria Rejected Israel offer to return the land in exchange for a peace agreement. Now im willing to bet the Syrians in the Golan heights did not find that decision by the Syrian government very Hallal, now did they?

This is no war of land, it is a war of religion and fairy tales, and you my friend, have been taught many fairytales.

Your not the only one with a syrian girlfriend buddy, fyi.

Last edited:
Back