Votes: 4 9.1%
  • ISLAM

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • HINDUISM

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • SIKKHISM

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
lol @ thinking buddhism is more peaceful than any other religions...

OT: Would take bahai just for shits and giggles.

lol @ thinking buddhism is more peaceful than any other religions...

OT: Would take bahai just for shits and giggles.

As I said, I don;t know that much about it, except a large % of east asians are buddhist and their "God" is called Buddha.

Why not expand on the allegation that Buddhism traditions also promote violence and that the faith was spread violently so you educate those of us who don't know much about it. Personally I have yet to hear of genocide in the name of Buddha or the Holy Buddha War or that leaving Buddhism is punishable by death and so on.

As I said, I don;t know that much about it, except a large % of east asians are buddhist and their "God" is called Buddha.

Why not expand on the allegation that Buddhism traditions also promote violence and that the faith was spread violently so you educate those of us who don't know much about it. Personally I have yet to hear of genocide in the name of Buddha or the Holy Buddha War or that leaving Buddhism is punishable by death and so on.

There are violent traditions written in all religious books, wether it is christian, muslim, jewish, buddhist, etc, the problem that most people do not understand is that violence and extremism in religions mostly happens in poor countries, where religion that's a very large place in the people's lives. You can see this in middle african countries like kenya, where christians kill non-christians daily, in oriental countries like afghanistan where muslims act like stone age monkeys, or in burma where buddhists don't mind killing muslims over ideological differences.

Of course, people coming from shit hole countries will bring their garbage with them, aka the shafia family.

The point i'm trying to make is that no religion is more peaceful than another, as all of them claim to be peaceful and culturally open, it will really come down to the geopolitical, economical and social factors of the society housing one or many religions.

There are violent traditions written in all religious books, wether it is christian, muslim, jewish, buddhist, etc, the problem that most people do not understand is that violence and extremism in religions mostly happens in poor countries, where religion that's a very large place in the people's lives. You can see this in middle african countries like kenya, where christians kill non-christians daily, in oriental countries like afghanistan where muslims act like stone age monkeys, or in burma where buddhists don't mind killing muslims over ideological differences.

Of course, people coming from shit hole countries will bring their garbage with them, aka the shafia family.

The point i'm trying to make is that no religion is more peaceful than another, as all of them claim to be peaceful and culturally open, it will really come down to the geopolitical, economical and social factors of the society housing one or many religions.

the boudhism in burma is not the same as the bouddhism in China. They are totally different and yes buddhism is known to be the most peaceful and oldest religion. I feel sometimes like you say shit out of your ass just to contradict people. Find me one written violent traidition from bouddhism.

edit: FOUND THIS BUT YOU HAVE TO AGREE THERE'S ONLY A TINY FEW CASES COMPARED TO OTHER RELIGIONS.

Buddhism and war

Non-violence is at the heart of Buddhist thinking and behaviour. The first of the five precepts that all Buddhists should follow is "Avoid killing, or harming any living thing."

Buddhism is essentially a peaceful tradition. Nothing in Buddhist scripture gives any support to the use of violence as a way to resolve conflict.

In times of war
Give rise in yourself to the mind of compassion,
Helping living beings
Abandon the will to fight.
One of Buddha's sermons puts this very clearly with a powerful example that stresses the need to love your enemy no matter how cruelly he treats you:

Even if thieves carve you limb from limb with a double-handed saw, if you make your mind hostile you are not following my teaching.
Kamcupamasutta, Majjhima-Nikkaya I ~ 28-29
Figures like the Dalai Lama (who won the Nobel Peace Prize) demonstrate in word and deed Buddhism's commitment to peace.

"Hatred will not cease by hatred, but by love alone.
This is the ancient law."
Many Buddhists have refused to take up arms under any circumstances, even knowing that they would be killed as a result. The Buddhist code that governs the life of monks permits them to defend themselves, but it forbids them to kill, even in self-defence.

For Buddhist countries this poses the difficult dilemma of how to protect the rights and lives of their citizens without breaking the principle of nonviolence.

The pure Buddhist attitude is shown in this story:

A Vietnam veteran was overheard rebuking the Vietnamese Buddhist monk, Thich Nhat Hanh, about his unswerving dedication to non-violence.
"You're a fool," said the veteran - "what if someone had wiped out all the Buddhists in the world and you were the last one left. Would you not try to kill the person who was trying to kill you, and in doing so save Buddhism?!"
Thich Nhat Hanh answered patiently "It would be better to let him kill me. If there is any truth to Buddhism and the Dharma it will not disappear from the face of the earth, but will reappear when seekers of truth are ready to rediscover it.
"In killing I would be betraying and abandoning the very teachings I would be seeking to preserve. So it would be better to let him kill me and remain true to the spirit of the Dharma."

Buddhism and martial arts

Buddhist monks have been leaders in developing various forms of martial arts. The Shaolin Order is perhaps the best known of these, famed for their fighting prowess.

Martial arts would seem to be about as far from non-violence as you can get, but Buddhist forms of martial arts have very strict rules about how violence can be used.

The Shaolin teaching forbids the monk from ever being the aggressor, and instructs him to use only the minimum necessary defensive force. By becoming skilled in physical conflict the monk has a better understanding of violence and is able to use sophisticated techniques to avoid harm, ranging from simple parrying of clumsy blows to paralysing grips and knockout blows in the face of extreme violence - but always using only the amount of force needed to refuse the violence that is being offered to them.

Most martial arts traditions have strong spiritual and philosophical elements, and insist on a responsible and minimalist attitude to violence.

Buddhism and violence

But Buddhism, like the other great faiths, has not always lived up to its principles - there are numerous examples of Buddhists engaging in violence and even war.

in the 14th century Buddhist fighters led the uprising that evicted the Mongols from China
in Japan, Buddhist monks trained Samurai warriors in meditation that made them better fighters
In the twentieth century Japanese Zen masters wrote in support of Japan's wars of aggression. For example, Sawaki Kodo (1880–1965) wrote this in 1942:

It is just to punish those who disturb the public order. Whether one kills or does not kill, the precept forbidding killing [is preserved]. It is the precept forbidding killing that wields the sword. It is the precept that throws the bomb.
Sawaki Kodo
In Sri Lanka the 20th century civil war between the mostly Buddhist Sinhalese majority and the Hindu Tamil minority has cost 50,000 lives.

Like i said, religion alone does not create war, it's the general quality of life that creates extremism. But it can also be the opposite, for exemple, North korea is poor and most of it's population are atheists. That leads to another thought, political ideologies tend to favor a religious ideology more than another. One thing is sure, if there are many external influences in a religion, it will be corrupted, leading to high levels of extremism and violence.

Like i said, religion alone does not create war, it's the general quality of life that creates extremism. But it can also be the opposite, for exemple, North korea is poor and most of it's population are atheists. That leads to another thought, political ideologies tend to favor a religious ideology more than another. One thing is sure, if there are many external influences in a religion, it will be corrupted, leading to high levels of extremism and violence.

there's actually a part of the coran that calls other religion infedele and that its a muslim's job to convert the others to their religion or eliminate the threath

there's actually a part of the coran that calls other religion infedele and that its a muslim's job to convert the others to their religion or eliminate the threath

I know, but i'm not excluding the fact there's also wrong lines in most, if not all religious books. The bible has many contradictory verses as well, such as sexist lines, lines encouraging slavery and other verses claiming it's good kill witches. Same thing goes for judaism.

That is why i am atheist, do not believe any religion is good, since all of them claim good things, but have darker sides as well.

I know, but i'm not excluding the fact there's also wrong lines in most, if not all religious books. The bible has many contradictory verses as well, such as sexist lines, lines encouraging slavery and other verses claiming it's good kill witches. Same thing goes for judaism.

That is why i am atheist, do not believe any religion is good, since all of them claim good things, but have darker sides as well.

I'm atheist also, but I find it hard to criticize boudhism...I can seem to find any wrong lines in it.

As far as I'm concerned religion is mainly a system of control for the masses. You can make the most peaceful people pick up weapons and kill for their god. And what is even more fucked up is if a bible, tora, Q'uran is the word of god, why is it written by humans? Couldn't the message of god be tampered with to direct the behaviors of the people who read it?

Anyway no mind control for me, no thank you. And if there is a god and he gets pissed at me, it's his fault for letting me exist.

All these religions have stories no more realistic than children literature. But if I were to pick a religion based solely on the values it conveys, I would probably be considering Bahai or Buddhism.

Your logic is flawed. Team policies don't include a book telling the team fans how their supposed to behave. Also team policies don't transcend into politics and the laws that govern the state.

Oh great, now we can really compare apples and oranges... I was only giving an example of violent human behavior. The point I made was religion doesn't cause violence, human stupidity does. Soccer match violence, soccer didn't cause it. get it now?

Please highlight this part for me, as a Muslim I am not aware... Please enlighten me so I can call you an infedel and convert you, if not, eliminate you.

Oh great, now we can really compare apples and oranges... I was only giving an example of violent human behavior. The point I made was religion doesn't cause violence, human stupidity does. Soccer match violence, soccer didn't cause it. get it now?

Agreed that it's human stupidity that causes the violance, ultimately, but are you saying that the Qu'ran, Hadith and Sharia law are not part of the religion?

Please highlight this part for me, as a Muslim I am not aware... Please enlighten me so I can call you an infedel and convert you, if not, eliminate you.

here mr muslim:
2:191 And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. And fight not with them at the Inviolable Place of Worship until they first attack you there, but if they attack you (there) then slay them. Such is the reward of disbelievers.

2:193 And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah.

2:216 Warfare is ordained for you, though it is hateful unto you; but it may happen that ye hate a thing which is good for you, and it may happen that ye love a thing which is bad for you. Allah knoweth, ye know not.

2:244 Fight in the way of Allah, and know that Allah is Hearer, Knower.

5:33 The only reward of those who make war upon Allah and His messenger and strive after corruption in the land will be that they will be killed or crucified, or have their hands and feet on alternate sides cut off, or will be expelled out of the land. Such will be their degradation in the world, and in the Hereafter theirs will be an awful doom.
Source(s):
Quran

Back