R35 GTR Nissan | 2days complete + Raceglaze's Waxxon wax | Detailed

cobrAAA

Shop Representative
Bonjour,

Par manque de temps terrible, je ferais une première version de ce detail en anglais. Aussi, par respect pour le propriétaire qui est anglophone, je vais utiliser la langue anglaise, n’hésitez pas par contre à poser des questions.

Sur ce,
Bon visionnement :)

So here it is, my first GTR detailed. We all love a Ferrari, a TT Gallardo or wish to detail a veyron right? But when it comes to sub 100k car, I think the GTR was clearly my #1 most wanted car to detail! I already had to chance to touch and have a close look at other GTRs in the past but nothing like having one in your workplace for 2 days doing your thing haha. I’m already taking appointment for 2 others GTRs so thing are doing well and just hope to see more and more popping.

The owner picked up this car used. It’s red so scratches show up easily. He looked at other REDG GTR getting detailed and told me he was looking for showroom result. We spoke in august. Time past ( he go to meet and get offered by tons of others detailers to have a spin on his car, I really appreciated his solidarity to me) and we can’t fix an appointment (either me or him can’t work the car for 2 days). So he come up and tell me since winter is approaching that he would prefer a normal 2-step detail job. I told him, I rather leave him my car for 2 days than having to ‘’rush’’ one of my most anticipating detail of the year. And as you will know later on, I should’ve of kept the car for 3 days! Hint: the clear coat is VERY HARD.

What more to say? I think its time to present you the car and my work!

Process:

Please refer to my intro thread under my signature to understand what the ‘’showroom’’ package include but basicly you leave me the car for 20-30 hours and I do whatever is needed with whatever products I feel is best for the job. In this package, nothing is more important than the end-result. I ask for your trust in return I give you showroom result.

At arrival:

dsc4069y.jpg

dsc4070x.jpg

dsc4071m.jpg

Dusty, scuff this and there, little stain, nothing too major!
dsc4073r.jpg

dsc4074e.jpg

dsc4076p.jpg

dsc4077f.jpg

dsc4078o.jpg

dsc4080d.jpg

Car is dirty but not in bad shape either. Just need a very good cleaning. So I start up with an air compressor. This will remove as much debris as I could where it would be impossible to vacuum and have access. Also, by removing these debris, you also reduce the chance of scratching the leather and other fragile fabric inside while scrubbing with brush.
dsc4082z.jpg

dsc4083o.jpg

Time to take out the set of RACEGLAZE brushes. These brush are made of boar hair and are very soft and when agited, they can foam up pretty well which help a lot to get debris stuck under crevice.
dsc4084e.jpg

I then realised the sticky residu in the back-windows. A good glue remover will take care of this in a breeze:
dsc4089v.jpg

Just need a good windows cleaning now.
dsc4090y.jpg

Here come RACEGLAZE Alcantara cleaner; I chosed this cleaner because it’s a very soft cleaner that I know won’t warm the fabric. Also, since it’s the first gtr I’m detailing, I wanted to play safe with the material of the seat. This cleaner also contains bacterie-killer which sanitize the fabric and at the same time can kill bad odors.
dsc4094.jpg

I also used Raceglaze Leather cleaner to clean the leather insert. Still using a horse hair brush in order to not warm the soft material. This brush do little miracles :)
dsc4092z.jpg

After this is done, I pass the extractor everywhere I can in order to give the cleanest feeling possible. This machine is a must for professional interior cleaning. It’s not just about shopvacuuing but these machines are made to have as much water-lift as possible so the interior can be as dry as possible. Having a dry interior is not just a cool-thing but I’ve seen lots of seat getting destroyed because the foam got too humid and the clue can delaminated also. It also spray a hot water solution using a high pressure pump that does a way better job at cleaning than a simple spray-bottle water jet.
dsc4095c.jpg

Once this is done, it’s time to clean the carpet and let them dry. I then use RACEGLAZE Color enhance on all trims and seal because this stuff will last for months not just weeks. I’m highly impress with this stuff. IMO, this is one of the best 3 products raceglaze do!

After, I live to use a water-based dressing with uv protector to protect dash and card board to try out and discolour. When all this is done, its time to wipe down windows and finally spray a bacteria-killer spray that will eliminate odors and not just mask them with cheap fresh odor spray. Sure, it doesn’t smell as pretty as the fresh odor deodorant spray but at least it really works!

And there ya go; the end result: a clean interior:

dsc4165z.jpg

dsc4166a.jpg

dsc4167z.jpg

dsc4168d.jpg

dsc4169e.jpg

dsc4170a.jpg

dsc4173j.jpg

dsc4175l.jpg

dsc4176r.jpg

dsc4177.jpg

dsc4178.jpg

dsc4182l.jpg

dsc4184b.jpg

dsc4190.jpg

I always try to polish as much as I can the plastic screen to give a more finished touch:
dsc4191d.jpg

dsc4195r.jpg

And heres the leftover water after the leather cleaning and extractor:
dsc4266.jpg

dsc4267w.jpg

The exterior and engine bay portion is to be followed later on!

UPDATEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

SEE POST #14 For the pictures:

http://montrealracing.com/forums/sh...wax-Detailed&p=8790597&viewfull=1#post8790597

Video:

Pour une question de polissage réalisé à montreal.. alexandre.lemay @ hec . ca
For more info regarding this polishing job, detailing , done in the greater Montreal , please contact me at alexandre.lemay @ hec . ca

L'auto est incroyable!! Le detailing est to the top. pas le temps de niaisser avec une GTR :p

j'ai hate en barnak de voir la suite

Moar!!! Naoo!!

moi aussi :D

In for more

Loll!!! No joking, I slept on average 4 hours for the past 7 days. I simply can't take anymore sleep time. Energy drink for 1 or 2 days is fine but it wont replace a lifestyle haha!

I should be able to continue on writing tomorrow. Good car , good detail, no choice to make a good thread too :) Thanks for the support :) Hope the waiting will be well-worth it.

Wow, nicely done!!

(y) !

Vous êtes pas prêt à ça !!!! L'êtes-vous !? Screw that!! Je vous le montre pareil.

The wait is over guys :)

boom!

Here comes the engine-bay. I covered the electrical component that didn’t seem protected and then sprayed some cleaner and let it work for 2 minutes. I then rinsed, Took a wheel boar’s hair brush ( important when you deal with carbon engine part that can scratch easily). The cleaner foam quite well with this brush so let the thing work and get under tight space. After I rinse again and see if I didn’t forget any spot. If I didn’t, I go on with my long-reach brush, the same one I use for wheel barrel. When I’m done, I get a cleaned engine. I then apply by foam a rubber protector that darken a little rubber and make the whole thing a lot nicer.

dsc4096z.jpg

dsc4097l.jpg

dsc4098.jpg

Raceglaze Brush make the cleaner foam very well.
dsc4099o.jpg

dsc4100q.jpg

And you end up with a result like this:

dsc4158z.jpg

dsc4160.jpg

Some times, hood need to be polished or carbon fiber parts but this time it wasn’t the case. Okay so now, the engine bay is done, its time to move on to the outside.

As always, I start with the wheels because any brake dust splatter will be washed off right away. And these wheels were in need of a really good wash!! Look at this brake dust: wheels had hint of orange and caliper didn’t look very shiny.

dsc4101v.jpg

dsc4102v.jpg

For the wheels, I’ve been using a metal-reactive wheel cleaner that turn purple under metal particle. This cleaner is very effective but also safe on all types of wheels so instead of having 2 different products and asking myself if it’s safe or not to use this product on this type of wheels, I just buy this stuff and make my life easier.

I use Raceglaze brush (again! Damn these brushes are nice!) to work the cleaner, I also use a long-reach brush to clean the inside. Then agitate a citrus cleaner on the tires and brush the wheel well also. Then I rinse and move on to the next wheel.

At the end of the detail, I apply a wheel sealant that will give a little more shine and make cleaning wheel easier in the future because dust stick less on the wheel. When the wheel design allows me, I also coat the caliper. Some might ask; why don’t you simply remove the wheel then?!

I know some peoples do it but I don’t want to. The reason is simple; unfortunately, in the past I’ve been blamed for stuff I didn’t do and I’ve learned that the ‘’less you do/touch’’ the less you can get blamed on. I don’t always work on brand new car and on a 101-5 yr old car you can get weak frame rail/rusted and I could accidently bend the rail or let say 2 weeks later a random garage lift his car and then bend the rail and they come back at me saying I did it ? I just don’t want to deal with this crap.

Also, I would wait to be blamed for lost wheels because I haven’t torqued the nuts to the oem spec, even tho, you did it. It’s very unfortunate, but because of the few guys who blamed me for stuff I never did, I’m not taking any chances now. So now, you know, I don’t think it matters THAT MUCH anyways because I’ve been doing it like this forever and I think my wheels detail always come out nice.

With that said, I don’t have any close up pic of the wheels so keep that in mind when you see the final pictures :)

Dirty gas door, must not be fun to gas :(
dsc4103p.jpg

I then start my decontamination process with a foam bath. This help lift up dirt without touching the paint (less touching = less swirls!)
dsc4105y.jpg

Wax built-up to be removed:
dsc4115x.jpg

I then use a citrus cleaner to clean molding and crack always with a raceglaze brush haha!
dsc4107l.jpg

dsc4108f.jpg

dsc4109y.jpg

Everything has been cleaned, debris has been lifted from crack and brake dusts have splatted on the paint!? Well good! Now its time to clean the paint. I always go on with the 2 bucked method wash. I also add 2 grit guards in both buckets for a total of 4. The grit guards help to keep dirt in the bucket instead of lifting up every time you dip the mitts.

One bucket use clean water to rinse the mitts first, the other one is soap/water solution. I dip my mitts every 1 or 2 panels:

dsc4110p.jpg

Look how one bucket is dirty and the other one is almost clear:
dsc4269o.jpg

Once this is done, I then proceed to a physical decontamination aka the clay bar. You know the feeling, you washed the car but it still feel rough, you don’t understand why or you simply think it’s normal to feel like this. Well no it’s not haha!! You have small particle, usually metal dust from brake, stick on your paint and the only way to remove it is with some sort of mechanic abrasive. You could remove it by polishing it but then all this dust will stick to your pad and you don’t want this because it might put marks on your paint and imagine a dust particle spinning at 1200rpm on your paint! The damage is quickly done! So you want this to be done right now before the polishing.

Next and lastly but not least, I apply a chemical decontamination, same kind for the wheel cleaner, it will turn purple if it gets into contact with particle stuck in the paint. Car is red so it’s hard to see but look at those pictures, after the clay bar, I’ve been able to remove all this extra contamination with the chemical product. This also helps the wax to last longer.
dsc4111k.jpg

dsc4112m.jpg

dsc4113m.jpg

After all this, I like to rinse and clean the car one last time and start polishing:
dsc4114y.jpg

I then proceed to polish the headlight; they were not in a bad shape to a point where a wet-sanding was needed so I knew by experience that these lights could come up brand new only with a multiple step polish using different kind of pad and level of aggressiveness polish.

dsc4120c.jpg

And after :

dsc4122.jpg

All its missing is a nano-coating to protect the plastic from scratching easily and from UV damage.

I then continue to tape all molding to not warm them during the polishing:
dsc4144v.jpg

dsc4145.jpg

I then go on with my paint gauge to measure the thickness of the clear coat and make sure there’s no variation of paint. In other words, I’m like the paint doctor, I do an examen to make sure your paint is in good shape and no chance of burning your paint. This is one very important step to take but because it’s an expensive tool some people don’t use it and skip this part. I know this tool saved me troubles in the past! However, this paint was in very good shape.

The owner asked me for 50/50 so I did two and send them via SMS so he could see them right away! (Damn these guys these days hen!! Nobody is patient anymore loL!! Kidding, I understand some can be excited to see the end-result!)
dsc4125u.jpg

dsc4126h.jpg

No light, can you see the 50/50 !? a good difference in the brilliance of the red. One is more deep than the other side!
dsc4127e.jpg

dsc4129d.jpg

Now there’s no doubt haha!
dsc4131d.jpg

Again, no light to spot the difference:
dsc4132.jpg

dsc4133i.jpg

dsc4134h.jpg

dsc4138u.jpg

dsc4139a.jpg

dsc4140el.jpg

The lights I use are the same as the 3m sun gun but they are electric-powered which I prefer. I also prefer the two bulbs so you can really see the difference on a 50/50. I don’t always have the luxury of having sunlight under me to inspect my work so it’s important to have different set of light to make sure my job is OK. So I use halogen 500watts light, LED gun and these sunlight-like bulbs.

Since the paint is quite hard (pretty much the same as the ceramic one from Mercedes or corvette), I had to go more aggressive than what I usually do on a ‘’standard’’ job. This is not really a problem but its just that the more aggressive you go, the easier is the chance to burn the paint, to mar the paint and it will obviously dust more than light polish so it’s just a little user-friendly. At the end, the job gets done but doing light detail like 1-step is almost useless on these cars.

And then comes the small details, you know the little details that you might not see, but when you do 5-10 of them, it really show off.

Under the spoiler, the machine doesn’t pass so I have to do it by hand.
dsc4141l.jpg

Polishing the taillight with smaller pad:
dsc4142j.jpg

Tried to remove as much polishing dust as possible!
dsc4148r.jpg

Looks a little fade, don’t you think?
dsc4198e.jpg

Tools used:
dsc4200b.jpg

Polishing the crest, I think these crest goes for like 150$ ( lol!) so better keep them in shape:
dsc4201.jpg

And then, look a LITTLE better :p
dsc4211o.jpg

Polishing the metal exhaust:
dsc4104m.jpg

To this:
dsc4226h.jpg

It started to get dark so apologize for this last set of pictures: How do you like this shot? 2 GTR I detailed! Grandpa and little grand-son :)
dsc4149j.jpg

Just some of the pad/microfibers I used that day:
dsc4153p.jpg

Inspecting the paint before going supper:
dsc4203h.jpg

dsc4204d.jpg

dsc4207v.jpg

dsc4210p.jpg

Fast forward, I gave 2 coat of this devine wax; the raceglaze Special Reserve. This is an up rated version of the original Black Label retail version. I’m glad Mark decided to let me have one jar. The only jar being used in NA for an unique carnauba glow :) I feel this wax is closer to Zymol Royale in terms of carnauba glow but closer to Swissvax Crystal Rock in terms of durability because of his 76% carnauba ratio
dsc4196x.jpg

dsc4214a.jpg

dsc4223o.jpg

dsc4224u.jpg

dsc4225b.jpg

dsc4222z.jpg

dsc4227f.jpg

dsc4228m.jpg

dsc4229az.jpg

dsc4230s.jpg

Look at the paint, the reflection is perfectly clear; you could read what is written on the jar by looking at the paint:
dsc4221b.jpg

Fattt!
dsc4212h.jpg

Look like the wrx crest ( oh wait, I think the GTR came first haha! Anyways, it look nice on both car IMO!)
dsc4232f.jpg

dsc4235x.jpg

dsc4233.jpg

dsc4237.jpg

dsc4239fk.jpg

dsc4240c.jpg

This is what I refer to a ‘’carnauba glow’’ that special effect the paint gives that make it ‘’glow’’. The combination of the wax and cleanse give this effect.
dsc4241l.jpg

dsc4245e.jpg

dsc4246k.jpg

dsc4247e.jpg

dsc4250.jpg

dsc4253sh.jpg

dsc4259.jpg

dsc4262.jpg

dsc4263.jpg

Ouufff that was a long thread, I can’t say I will do them as long as these one for every car but hey I hope you guys appreciated and don’t hesitate to leave feedback!

Pour une question de polissage réalisé à montreal.. alexandre.lemay @ hec . ca
For more info regarding this polishing job, detailing , done in the greater Montreal , please contact me at alexandre.lemay @ hec . ca

Félicitation et bravo Alex pour ce magnifique résultat sur ce super bolide! Hier soir, à lire ce thread au complet, tu m’as gardé éveillé un peu plus tard que prévu.

Aaaawwwww yaaaaaa. My own detail thread. Thanks Alex!

My pleasure! You also satisfied one of my dream ! I guess we are both 2 happy men :)

I tried to make it real nice also, glad you enjoyed it. Next spring we will see what the damage are and I will try to push the limit.

Wow! Vraiment interesant.
Good job!

Cool! Merci bien !

Félicitation et bravo Alex pour ce magnifique résultat sur ce super bolide! Hier soir, à lire ce thread au complet, tu m’as gardé éveillé un peu plus tard que prévu.

Haha Merci à toi Alex, ON a tous les deux fait belles voitures rouges héhé! Tu sais, c'est important le sommeil ! Je suis désolé de t'empêcher de dormir :( hahahaha.

J'ai fait une autre GTR bleu en fin de semaine, mais un travail moins exhaustif.

We did the car last year. So, this year, we decided to go with a 2-step polish as a refresh instead of a bigger job like last year’s detail. Not much to say, no major damage/ding wtv. Just a good refresh.

Oh and by the way, Black Label Special Reserve ( our custom blend) lasted a full year on this car, no worries. ;)

Process:
2-step polish
Waxxon’s Black Label Special Reserve

Badge removal requires a careful technique to remove it without scrathing ( I had difficulties removing this one, it’s a lot thicker than most letters so it was hard to fit under the badge to press it) I then had to remove all the glue and polish it :

xhz3.jpg

Overall condition of the car:

xn81.jpg

wuca.jpg

wuca.jpg

pwah.jpg

ttb2.jpg

1vdo.jpg

Taking measure of the paint thickness:

w433.jpg

Trim taped:

clrq.jpg

After-pic ( meaning paint cleansed and wax applied)

7twq.jpg

efk5.jpg

qvst.jpg

kiws.jpg

c589.jpg

hsle.jpg

vk1d.jpg

u64z.jpg

g0pf.jpg

35cs.jpg

wepc.jpg

evma.jpg