Israel's attack underlines helplessness, hopelessness of Gaza Palestinians

aj4j

Reason I'm highlighting this article is because it made it to the Globe and Mail! A shocker considering how pro-Israeli that newspaper is.

"It is with horror that I watch the latest events in Gaza unfold. As a Canadian based in the West Bank who once lived in Gaza, I know the fear that is currently running through the veins of each man, woman and especially child as they face Israel’s unrelenting aerial and naval bombardment. My time in Gaza was marked by long periods of aerial bombings and sonic booms. I still– 6 years later – live with those horrible memories and the sheer sense of helplessness and hopelessness that ensued.

Today, the Gaza Strip is a much different place. The people have not changed – they are just as vibrant, funny and full of life as they were when I lived there – but their living conditions, and prospects for a bright future, have grown dim.

Today, the people of Gaza suffer from a brutal blockade that has lasted for more than 6 years and isolation that has lasted for more than 20 years. Israel strictly controls imports into Gaza and exports are virtually non-existent. Palestinian life is so controlled by Israel that the Israeli government even sets policies on the minimum number of calories needed to prevent malnutrition. Access to the sea – one of their main sources of livelihood – is strictly curtailed and the water of the Gaza Strip is barely drinkable, with less than 5 per cent of their water supply fit for human consumption. Today, Gaza is an open-air prison and it comes as little surprise that UN agencies recently concluded that, in a few years, Gaza will become unlivable.

But these facts have to be put in their proper light by looking at the population of Gaza. Today, 90 per cent of Gaza’s population is descended from the over 750,000 Palestinians ethnically cleansed in 1947-1949 from their homes in what is today Israel. More than 50 per cent of the population of Gaza is under the age of 18 and 20 per cent are under the age of 5.

They live in one of the most densely populated places on Earth, without reasonable prospects for survival. All of these measures – the blockade, isolation, siege, and damaged water supply – will have a tremendously detrimental impact on the lives of these young individuals. These are not natural disasters, but man-made ones.

Now, heaped on top, is Israel’s latest bombing campaign, one that does not distinguish civilian from combatant, adult from child – notwithstanding false Israeli claims otherwise.

Israeli Army officials have taken to Twitter and other social media to belittle death. In the aftermath of one assassination, the Israeli army participated in the hashtag #HamasBumperStickers with one Israeli army official tweeting, “My car is a stairway to heaven with a little help from Israel.”

The effects are sadly on display: In the past few days alone, Israel has dropped more than 250 bombs on this densely populated land. These attacks are supplemented by naval and tank shelling. Among the 22 Palestinian victims are two school children playing soccer, an 11-month-old infant, a pregnant mother and three other children.

Israel has repeatedly asserted that any “democratic country” such as Canada would do the same and that it was left with “no choice.” These are patently false assertions. What Israel fails to explain is that other democracies have not maintained a brutal 45-year military occupation over another people; that other countries have not denied freedom to another people for decades; that other countries do not routinely expropriate land for Jewish-only housing and roads and that democratic countries do not control virtually every aspect of the lives of another people (including caloric consumption).

Yes, there are other options: Israel can easily end its military rule over Palestinians – in both the West Bank and the Gaza Strip – and allow Palestinians to live in the freedom and dignity that is their right, and that of others around the world. Continuing to maintain control over the lives of others is only a recipe for disaster.

History has demonstrated that no subjugated people will willingly live under oppressive rule. The Palestinians are no different. The time has come for Israel to end its oppressive rule and allow the Palestinians to live in freedom.

Bombing a civilian, stateless, refugee population is not the answer."

Diana Buttu is a Canadian lawyer based in the West Bank. In 2000-2006 she served as an adviser and negotiator for the Palestinian Liberation Organization and to Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/comm...-gaza-palestinians/article5363472/?cmpid=rss1

il a deja un thread Sur Cette guerre.

ton article rajoute rien de nouveau.

Kossak , he is on the misc as well, everyone of his post is anti jew / anti israel, or anti america. not one bodybuilding post. He also posts about ramadan.. lol

Go enjoy the show! some of his shit is hilarious.. User: STLMTL

Kossak , he is on the misc as well, everyone of his post is anti jew / anti israel, or anti america. not one bodybuilding post. He also posts about ramadan.. lol

the_anti_semitism_card.jpg

Most Palestinians Hate Hamas, you dont. Granted your pakistani not palestinian. Here's some food for thought.

mac%20halal%20schma1%20eng.jpg

Tell me more about your fondness for people who use human shields.

Most Palestinians Hate Hamas, you dont. Granted your pakistani not palestinian. Here's some food for thought.

Most Palestinians support Hamas you idiot. You don't know 100s of Palestinians. Stop pretending.

Hamas is as legit as the conservative party of Canada. What will you do about it? I support it 100%.

Most Palestinians support Hamas you idiot. You don't know 100s of Palestinians. Stop pretending.

Hamas is as legit as the conservative party of Canada. What will you do about it? I support it 100%.

Of course you do, they use human shields, and share similar humans rights ethics to pakistan and iran, where they used children to clear mine fields.

wow si un dessin influence opinion.

Ta un problème de jugement mon ami.

LoL coming from a guy who knows nothing about Islam yet calls himself informed. Go learn some English please, your in Canada, not France.

Of course you do, they use human shields, and share similar humans rights ethics to pakistan and iran, where they used children to clear mine fields.

Blah blah blah. Human shields human shields human shields. Israel can't be wrong. Good luck with your propaganda goals of 2013.

This guy is a zealot
brainwashed Zealot

Because of that Kind of guy Islam is a dangerous Politic group and have a bad name.

Blah blah blah. Human shields human shields human shields. Israel can't be wrong. Good luck with your propaganda goals of 2013.

When do we said Isreal cant be wrong.

noting is complete white or black.

it is a War with gun Tank and rocket.

It will be blood and death of innocent.

most of soldier dont want Kill children and Woman.

But in the two side we have dangerous zealot how Just want kill Most jews as possible Or kill most Muslim as possible.
welcome to earth have a nice stay.

When do we said Isreal cant be wrong.

noting is complete white or black.

it is a War with gun Tank and rocket.

It will be blood and death of innocent.

most of soldier dont want Kill children and Woman.

But in the two side we have dangerous zealot how Just want kill Most jews as possible Or kill most Muslim as possible.
welcome to earth have a nice stay.

First time I agree with one of your posts. I doubt your intentions though.

lol Islam political group.

I play mostly Zerg btw.

Zealot_SC1_Art1.jpg

Me I love play protoss. Lest 1 one 1. ahah

Zealot you know what it mean a follower blind by his faith.
kanai in Hebrew if you prefer :)
Shalom

First time I agree with one of your posts. I doubt your intentions though.

I know you are not a bad guy. I dont hate you.
I Always Try to respect you.

I understand You will defend Islam muslim community Before everything else.

my only goal I want you to questioning it.
questioning islam.
questioning why they want you to believe it is the "truth"

as The same Way We know the Zionist lie to us.
I dont like the zionist the same way I dont like the Islamic.

Last edited:
Me I love play protoss. Lest 1 one 1. ahah

Zealot you know what it mean a follower blind by his faith.
kanai in Hebrew if you prefer :)
Shalom

I know you are not a bad guy. I dont hate you.
I Always Try to respect you.

I understand You will defend Islam muslim community Before everything else.

my only gold I want you to questioning it.
questioning islam.
questioning why they want you to believe it is the "truth"

as The same Way We know the Zionist lie to us.
I dont like the zionist the same way I dont like the Islamic.

The difference is zionism isn't a religion whereas Islam and Judaism are. Your hate for Islam is blind hatred. If you were true to yourself, you wouldn't have that website in your signature. It's crap nothing else.

I dont' want to wake up in the morn to pictures of dead kids. If this discussion keeps going the way it's going I'll close the thread. Debate all you want but do not insult each other, do not post graphic images.

I dont' want to wake up in the morn to pictures of dead kids. If this discussion keeps going the way it's going I'll close the thread. Debate all you want but do not insult each other, do not post graphic images.

Done, i am reposting the text however.

This is what happens when you shoot rockets from peoples homes!

november 18, 2012

updated: In gaza, macabre manipulations of a child victim

update, 1 pm est: Following communication from camera, reuters commendably clarifies

not for the first time, the death of a palestinian child killed in hotly disputed circumstances is being categorically blamed on israel. Elder of ziyon blogger was the first to catch the latest case, involving the death of 4-year-old mahmoud sadallah of jabaliya, whose body was photographed with egyptian prime minister hesham qandil as he visited the gaza strip friday.

Photos of the boy's body on display were distributed by the associated press, agence france-presse and reuters, all of whose captions categorically stated that the boy was killed in an israeli air strike, despite the fact that news articles by the new york times and even ap itself made clear that the circumstances behind his death were "hotly disputed," (as ap put it), and that he may have been killed by an errant palestinian rocket. Cnn's sara sidner also reported as fact that mahmoud sadallah is "another victim of an [israeli] air strike," ignoring evidence to the contrary.

About the boy's death, the new york times reported:

It is unclear who was responsible for the strike on annazla: The damage was nowhere near severe enough to have come from an israeli f-16, raising the possibility that an errant missile fired by palestinian militants was responsible for the deaths. (emphasis added.)

moreover, ap reports about sadallah's death:

Israel vehemently denied involvement, saying it had not carried out any attacks in the area at the time.

Mahmoud's family said the boy was in an alley close to his home when he was killed, along with a man of about 20, but no one appeared to have witnessed the strike. The area showed signs that a projectile might have exploded there, with shrapnel marks in the walls of surrounding homes and a shattered kitchen window. But neighbors said local security officials quickly took what remained of the projectile, making it impossible to verify who fired it. (emphasis added.)

a sampling of photo captions stating categorically that israel is responsible for the boy's death despite information to the contrary follows:

Senior hamas leader ismail haniyeh (2nd r) and egypt's prime minister hisham kandil (2nd l) touch the body of a palestinian boy, who was killed in an israeli air strike, during a visit to a hospital in gaza city november 16, 2012. Israel's military denied on friday that it had carried out attacks in the gaza strip during a visit to the enclave by kandil. Reuters/mahmud hams/pool (gaza - tags: Politics civil unrest tpx images of the day)

a palestinian doctor carries the body of a baby boy who was killed in an israeli air strike in gaza city on november 16, 2012 during the visit to the al-shifa hospital by the hamas leader in the gaza strip ismail haniya and egyptian prime minister hisham qandil (unseen). Afp photo/mahmud hams/poolmahmud hams/afp/getty images

palestinian boy fares sadallah, 11, cries as he sits outside his home which was damaged following an israeli air strike in beit lahia, northern gaza strip, on november 16, 2012. Egypt's premier vowed to intensify cairo's efforts to secure a truce and urged world leaders to end israel's "aggression" in gaza, as he visited the hamas-run enclave. Afp photo/mohammed abedmohammed abed/afp/getty images

a palestinian doctor carries the body of a baby boy who was killed in an israeli air strike, during the visit by the palestinian prime minister in the gaza strip ismail haniya and egyptian prime minister hisham qandil (both unseen), to the al-shifa hospital in gaza city, 16 november 2012. Israeli forces launched a heavy barrage of bombs at the break of dawn but also announce a three hours ceasefire during the visit of the egyptian prime minister hesham qandil in the gaza strip. Photo by ashraf amra palestinian casualties of israeli airstrikes at al-shifa hospital, gaza city - 15 nov 2012 (rex features via ap images)

ismail haniya and hisham qandil visit to a hospital in gaza city palestinian prime minister, ismail haniyeh and egypt's prime ministe,r hisham kandil in the gaza strip - 16 nov 2012 egyptian premier hisham qandil vowed to intensify cairo's efforts to secure a truce and end israel's "aggression" in gaza, after a strike killed two as he visited the strip (rex features via ap images)
photographic propaganda by ashraf amra

the photographs distributed by ap were not taken by an ap photographer, but by the rex features photo agency. The first of the above images was taken by ashraf amra, whose work last week included this specimen:

Nov. 12, 2012 - gaza city, gaza strip, palestinian territory - palestinians inspect damage in their land damaged in an israeli air strike in gaza city november 13, 2012. The spike in violence, which comes as israel is in the middle of an election campaign, raised the spectre of a broader israeli military campaign to stamp out rocket fire, although commentators said it was unlikely it would be one on the scale of operation cast lead. Ashraf amra/zuma press/newscom
we have noted before that palestinians have strategically placed their children among piles of rubble to stage emotive photographs, but amra took this phenomenon to new heights by photographing an infant crawling in a giant pit to "inspect damage." here is more from amra's children-inspecting-damage-in-their-land series last week:

Nov. 12, 2012 - gaza city, gaza strip, palestinian territory - palestinians inspect damage in their land damaged in an israeli air strike in gaza city november 13, 2012. The spike in violence, which comes as israel is in the middle of an election campaign, raised the spectre of a broader israeli military campaign to stamp out rocket fire, although commentators said it was unlikely it would be one on the scale of operation cast lead

nov. 12, 2012 - gaza city, gaza strip, palestinian territory - palestinians inspect damage in their land damaged in an israeli air strike in gaza city november 13, 2012. The spike in violence, which comes as israel is in the middle of an election campaign, raised the spectre of a broader israeli military campaign to stamp out rocket fire, although commentators said it was unlikely it would be one on the scale of operation cast lead

but photographing children placed in rubble for propaganda purposes is restrained child's play for ashraf amra, whose work this week includes exploitive, gratuitiously exhibitionist photos of the naked body of 4-year-old mahmoud sadallah:

Gaza city, gaza strip, palestinian territory - a palestinian doctor carries the body of a baby boy who was killed in an israeli air strike, during the visit by the palestinian prime minister in the gaza strip ismail haniya and egyptian prime minister hisham qandil (ashraf amra/zuma press/newscom)

reputable news agencies should not distribute exploitive, manipulative photographs by blatant propagandists like ashraf amra. Media outlets that take themselves for credible sources should not publish captions that categorically indict israel for the killing of a palestinian boy while ignoring information pointing to palestinian rockets as a culprit. Camera has contacted editors at cnn, ap, afp and reuters requesting clarifications. Stay tuned for updates.
Update, 1 pm est: Following communication from camera, reuters commendably clarifies

within hours of receiving communication from camera concerning the photo caption which unequivocally blamed israeli for the death of mahmoud sadallah, despite information to the contrary, reuters has commendably refiled the image with the following clarification:

Refile - removing reference which states that the boy was killed in an israel air strike and adding new information senior hamas leader ismail haniyeh (c) and egypt's prime minister hisham kandil (2nd l) touch the body of a palestinian boy during a visit to a hospital in gaza city november 16, 2012. Hamas says the boy was killed by an israeli air strike but israel's military denies any raids at the time. The palestinian center for human rights, the leading human rights group in gaza strip that documents every single israeli attack that takes place, does not include this child's name on its list of victims. Picture taken november 16, 2012. Reuters/mahmud hams/pool (gaza - tags: Politics civil unrest)

camera commends reuters for its straightforward, thorough clarification. Will afp, cnn and ap follow suit?

As you can see, they are parading this boy around so the media can get a good story of how the Israeli"" killed him.. When Hamas did.

(pictures removed at the request of DannyITR)

Back