Vwvortex member buys 2013 Jeep Wrangler and notices this

Dubweiser

The car has 297 miles, he noticed the rust a few days after he bought the car while washing it. Some people are saying it's normal, what do you think?

We bought our first Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and during the first weekend of ownership, I took some time to get to know it. When I went to check out the suspension and clearance I noticed something odd, there was a large amount of surface rust on the metal surfaces and oxidation on the aluminum, front to back.

I contacted my dealer and their response was "this is normal". We verified this JKU was not a DX from another part of the country; it was built in January 2013, and was shipped directly from Toledo, OH to Virginia - so trying to link this to Hurricane Sandy flooding did not seem plausible.

My dealer and I contacted Chrysler separately and Chrysler's official response today was "this is normal and surface rust does not affect the operation of the vehicle." True, at the beginning - but is that what Chrysler told 2004 Pacifica owners and later when their subframes rusted through?

After 297 miles of ownership, and new car smell, we are at a crossroads. Do I attempt to refinish the rusted areas, but how can I be certain the various areas are properly protected for years of use.

Spending $30k+ for a new vehicle, and for the manufacturer to claim it is "normal" is unfortunate from a quality control perspective and disheartening as a consumer.

8504414158_cd15e72dab_c.jpg

8504413732_dfc8b7ef04_c.jpg

8504609233_16c2a40ca8_c.jpg

8505717788_490d370171_c.jpg

8515042800_e7ec9768e5_c.jpg

8515048604_3257801af4_c.jpg

8513929939_c23abf6a21_c.jpg

8504413272_26e3ab5450_c.jpg

je ne sais pas quoi en penser à vrai dire... :S Je trouve qu'il y en n'a bcp mais pas dramatique. Le véhicule à probablement été inutilisé à l'extérieur pendant quelque jours. Sois au dealer ou à la gare de train

C sur je le retournais personnelement mon auto est un 2006 et je nai meme pas une place sur le vehicule ou il y a de la rouille. Sauf a quelque exeption pres 1 ou 2 petit piece en acier ou des bolt.

Je le laisserai comme ca mais jeep mecrirai une lettre comme quoi si ya des problemes dans le futur tout serait couvert sous la garantie sinon le tribunal.

Ouch ce thread là m'a fait peur!!! Je viens d'avoir mon CRV y'a 1 mois. Déjà 3000 km au compteur (trip en Gaspésie oblige). Je viens d'aller voir dehors et pris quelques photo...aucune trace importante de rouille!!!! Un peu au niveau des brakes mais rien de majeur :)

definitely not normal, Ive seen Jeeps go through our winters and they never had rust like that

Even if it doesn't affect the parts, I find this amount of surface rust unacceptable. I would stand for it.

ce qui est pas peinturer = normal ( drive shaft )

le reste qui !!? pas de bon sens

Even if it's surface rust, it is a whole lot of it... I'd request a good cleanup & rustproofing on the dealerships coin...

My JK is not rusted like that.

The axle housings we probably rusted before being painted and the paint didn't stick properly or they were the last set being painted on a Friday afternoon.

Sérieux, si le véhicule avait rester 2-3 semaines sans bouger sur le bord de la mer à grand vents salés, p-e mais sinon un véhicule neuf qui à fait le voyage de train-dealer rapidement, je ne vois pas la raison

J'ai acheté un lower control arm neuf chez Mazda et il avait déjà un peu de rouille de surface lol...

Fabriqué avec des pièces de Mazda pis de Subaru.

And for the record, mon char actuel est un STI et mon ancien, un Mazda3.

Back