News: Sinkhole opens up in Trudeau Airport Parking lot, swallows cars

I'm srry but I actually loled, can't help it.

Also the A6 got saved, thumbs up for that.

P.S. Jmac is full of win, so full of win in fact that he's got win coming out of his ears.

This probably happened because during construction of the special circle, they busted a few pipes and the water washed away the ground.

en tk chez pas si vous avez remarqué mais toutes les pire nidz de poule et rue plein de marde se trouve a mtl, partout autour c'est pas AUSSI pire, cest pas parfait mais pas aussi pire que montreal !! jcomprend les gars de mtl de vouloir attendre pour sortir leur chars ps posé leur tires parce qu'ont sait jamais si ont va tombé dans un trou, trop dur a prévoir le monde roule trop proche et rendu a derniere minutes, BANG... shht

That pot hole will dent your rims for sure!!!!

When i drove down to NYC this winter, I wished the whole way that Quebec would make their roads like them. Such nice roads

That parking lot is built on fill that was left over from the terminal expansion project... So I don't get why people are talking about limestone and quality of concrete when that entire area has been raised pretty much by 10ft.

Montreal is like a combat zone full of mines you need to avoid while driving to you're destination.

I won't even start about the construction signs and cones all over the place because we all know about it and it pisses me off just to think about it.

Forget about using a Gps if you ever get lost in montreal. Half of the streets you're gps will tell you to go will probably be blocked because of "construction" that has been going on for god knows how long.

To save everybody a headache, I'll tell you why this happened before it blows up.

You see, Montreal's roads are generally quite shit for a number of reasons.

The underlying factor, being that we're cheap.

Since we're cheap, we don't make the roads very well (4x as thin american roads, 2x as thin as most roads in the rest of Canada)

Additionally because we're cheap, we don't buy the best of materials to create the roads.

This is the main issue why our roads are shit.

I totaly agree with you on the materials quality but the problem is way more complicated than that.

It's not because we are cheap, in fact we spend way more money for constructions. The problem is that the construction industry is so corrupted that we get ripped off every time!

We get a nice project sold to us with high grade materials and that's not what we are getting. The governement decided way back to give away engineering projects to the private industries insted of looking over things themselves thinking they were going to save money. Now look at the huge problems we have now...

Now corruption is everywhere and it is becoming a briding industry. Crooks even finance the politic parties.

I'm I the only one watching the Charbonneau commission?

Québec, wake up! We're beeing scammed!

To save everybody a headache, I'll tell you why this happened before it blows up.

You see, Montreal's roads are generally quite shit for a number of reasons.

The underlying factor, being that we're cheap.

Since we're cheap, we don't make the roads very well (4x as thin american roads, 2x as thin as most roads in the rest of Canada)

Additionally because we're cheap, we don't buy the best of materials to create the roads.

This is the main issue why our roads are shit.

The reason being, is because we import a lot of limestone from Northern manitoba (despite the fact that we have it in major abundance here) since it is cheaper. This "cheap" limestone is used to process cement. However because it is generally impure, containing many metals and limestone aggregates, it is HIGHLY susceptible to chemical weathering. Side note: this is why our bridges are falling.

Lime and limestone aggregates are used for the creation of roads, don't get me wrong, however because the concentration of limestone within the slurry is low due to the many impurities, they just use more of it. This in turn raises it's concentration and frequency of impurities, making it a lot more susceptible to chemical weathering.

Now that you're aware of that, I'll explain something else.

Montreal's geologic history is quite unique. You see about 20 000 years ago, towards the end of the last ice age, Montreal sat under 2-3km of ice. Once the glacier had melted, due to the weight of the glacier, the earth around montreal was significantly lower than it was today and this meant that salt water from the atlantic came in and flooded everything creating the Champlain Sea. Salt water means sea life, and a lot of it. This sea life ends up dying, sinking to the bottom and forming limestone over the next 10 000 years. This is why the geology of Montreal and it's surrounding area are of limestone.

Fast forward to today and the underlying geology of today and we still have a lot of limestone underneath us.

Considering that it is spring, water is melting and all the salts and chemicals we use on our roads and are getting into the water table.

The water table is rising, however it is contaminated with chemicals such as the salts and other crap.

This is where the three things come together: the rising water table (that is contaminated) mixes with the underlying limestone, slowly weathering it away (since it is susceptible to chemical weathering) then the road above it starts to weaken because it too is being chemical weathered due to it's impurities and poor construction and the next thing you know, it collapses.

In nature this is normal and is actually how caves form but it also demonstrates as to why some caves can be dangerous.

When this naturally occurs, not from anthropogenic processes, it is called a karst landscape and they are quite beautiful.

TL;DR: Rising contaminated water table chemically weathers underlying rock and shitty roads to form a sinkhole because Quebec is too cheap to afford geologists or to create proper roads.

It's a shame all that sweet knowledge was posted on Montrealracing ! It has now become unreliable information :(

That parking lot is built on fill that was left over from the terminal expansion project... So I don't get why people are talking about limestone and quality of concrete when that entire area has been raised pretty much by 10ft.

Of anybody, you would know haha

Thats generally how sinkholes occur either way.

However I'm skeptical as to the underlying geology of that parking lot area because I see no feasible way for that to occur naturally provided it has been filled. Perhaps it falls just outside that region you speak of. Actually even still, depending on whats beneath the fill (if it does fall under the region you speak of) then yes it is still possible for it to occur.

I totaly agree with you on the materials quality but the problem is way more complicated than that.

It's not because we are cheap, in fact we spend way more money for constructions. The problem is that the construction industry is so corrupted that we get ripped off every time!

We get a nice project sold to us with high grade materials and that's not what we are getting. The governement decided way back to give away engineering projects to the private industries insted of looking over things themselves thinking they were going to save money. Now look at the huge problems we have now...

Now corruption is everywhere and it is becoming a briding industry. Crooks even finance the politic parties.

I'm I the only one watching the Charbonneau commission?

Québec, wake up! We're beeing scammed!

No doubt the construction industry is crooked man, in fact I have some messed up stories from my ex who's father used to manage construction jobs.

As silvertsi said, the problem has roots deep in our history and it's just gotten exponentially worse over time.

I'm not exactly aware, I'm just Jmac the science guy.

It's a shame all that sweet knowledge was posted on Montrealracing ! It has now become unreliable information :(

I see you're new here, please tell me more about how MR works...

Just because it's on MR does not discredit it's validity, either way nobody is showcasing what I've said to major news stations and what not, it's just so all my homies on MR know as to why our roads are crummy since it's relative to us.

Jmac, here sir have my like

Thanks homie

Back