Continental ExtremeContact DW's

Dubweiser

Quick impressions on my new DW's, even though it's not the best time of the year to review summer tires.

Pros:

- Bang for the buck is the biggest pro here: these tires are comparable to the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric, Michelin Pilot PS2, and Pirelly P-Zero, but cheaper.

- Handling is very linear, they are very predictable right up to their limit.

- Comfort, these are the quietest and most comfortable tires I've ridden on, including all-seasons and winter tires.

- At first I thought the thinner sidewalls were going to be a con. However the thin sidewall seem to offer much more steering input from the road. Alot of tires with thick sidewalls offer a more solid feel, but they ride very ''square'' and feel numb. The Conti's feel light and crisp, responding to the small inputs, and the sidewalls don't seem to flex under heavy load. My old Yokohama S-drives in comparison felt very numb due to the thick sidewalls. I'd say the ease of driving and feedback you get from the DW's is like driving with your fingers, whereas with the S-drive require more effort so you find yourself driving with your palms, which in turn gives you even less steering input...

- High speed stability is phenomenal.

- The Conti's handle better in the wet at 7 degrees Celcius than my Yoko S-Drives on dry summer pavement.

Cons:

- Big void to tread ratio trap and fling some pretty big rocks.

- I would have liked a sidewall with more grooves, the smooth sidewalls look cheap and get dirty and smudged with dust from sidewalks very quickly.

- I need more time behind the wheel to think of more cons...

There are definetaly gripper tires, higher performance tires that are better in specific categories, but for a daily driver, these are great for combining comfort, quietness, performance (especially in the wet) and price.

ContinentalExtremeContactDW_1.jpg

Last edited:
Yup they are aaaaawesome!!

I have a set for a E46 M3 for sale that must have over 80% left for dirt cheap!!

I'm a big fan of Continental tires. Got the Extremewinter contact for winter and the Cross contact LX this summer (had some encounter with snow and did a nice job). Both are doing a fine job.

Quick impressions on my new DW's, even though it's not the best time of the year to review summer tires.

Pros:

- Bang for the buck is the biggest pro here: these tires are comparable to the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric, Michelin Pilot PS2, and Pirelly P-Zero. All those tires are nearly double the price.

- Handling is very linear, they are very predictable right up to their limit.

- Comfort, these are the quietest and most comfortable tires I've ridden on, including all-seasons and winter tires.

- At first I thought the thinner sidewalls were going to be a con. However the thin sidewall seem to offer much more steering input from the road. Alot of tires with thick sidewalls offer a more solid feel, but they ride very ''square'' and feel numb. The Conti's feel light and crisp, responding to the small inputs, and the sidewalls don't seem to flex under heavy load. My old Yokohama S-drives in comparison felt very numb due to the thick sidewalls. I'd say the ease of driving and feedback you get from the DW's is like driving with your fingers, whereas with the S-drive require more effort so you find yourself driving with your palms, which in turn gives you even less steering input...

- High speed stability is phenomenal.

- The Conti's handle better in the wet at 7 degrees Celcius than my Yoko S-Drives on dry summer pavement.

Cons:

- Big void to tread ratio trap and fling some pretty big rocks.

- I would have liked a sidewall with more grooves, the smooth sidewalls look cheap and get dirty and smudged with dust from sidewalks very quickly.

- I need more time behind the wheel to think of more cons...

There are definetaly gripper tires, higher performance tires that are better in specific categories, but for a daily driver, these are great for combining comfort, quietness, performance (especially in the wet) and price.

Est-ce que la gomme est molle ? Question d'économie d'essence biensûr....

J'hésite entre le DWS et de me racheter les Hankook Solus d'origine.

Est-ce que la gomme est molle ? Question d'économie d'essence biensûr....

J'hésite entre le DWS et de me racheter les Hankook Solus d'origine.

Aucune idée de l'économie d'essence. Conti disent que le DW est low rolling resistance, mais il ne l'est pas assez pour avoir le label officiel LRR. Pour le DWS, le treadwear est 540AA si je me trompe pas, vs 480AA pour le Hankook, mais j'ai pas d'expérience avec ce modèle.

Weren't you getting factory studded Conti for winter also? How did they perform? Next winter it's either the general altimax or the studded conti for me at about 160$ more for the set.

Weren't you getting factory studded Conti for winter also? How did they perform? Next winter it's either the general altimax or the studded conti for me at about 160$ more for the set.

Yeah I had studded IceContacts this winter, and they were unstoppable on snow-ice. Average on dry-wet but not any worse than any quality studded tire. I've had studded Nokians in the past, and since I've switched to Continental (had a set of WinterViking 2's and IceContacts), I won't be buying a set of Nokians again anytime soon.

They seem to have a very treadwear also, I put about 10 000KM on them, and they don't really show any wear, I'd say I lost about a third of a millimeter of tread this winter.

When you mention double the price, how much did you pay for the Conti's and what is the size?

Just ordered these during lunch time. Should be at Freeport next week.

And I am also coming from S.Drive ! what a coincidence !

When you mention double the price, how much did you pay for the Conti's and what is the size?

It's a good thing you mention that, you made me doubt my statement so I double checked tirerack (the reference I used) and realized the Pirellis and Goodyear I used were the runflat versions. Corrected OP for erronious info:)

The regular versions of the Pirelli and Goodyear are about 40% more expensive in the same size, the Michelin PS2 is still almost double the price though.

Continental DW: 119$
Goodyear Eagle F1 assymetric: 148$
Pirelli P-Zero: 148$
Michelin PS2: 206$

I personally paid 482$ tx incl for a set of 205-55-16.

^^gotta love cars!!

dans le monde des pickups/jeep ton prix pour les 4 ressemble au prix d'un tire, lol.

bon review, j'ai hâte de remagasiner des tires de char!!!

It's a good thing you mention that, you made me doubt my statement so I double checked tirerack (the reference I used) and realized the Pirellis and Goodyear I used were the runflat versions. Corrected OP for erronious info:)

The regular versions of the Pirelli and Goodyear are about 40% more expensive in the same size, the Michelin PS2 is still almost double the price though.

Continental DW: 119$
Goodyear Eagle F1 assymetric: 148$
Pirelli P-Zero: 148$
Michelin PS2: 206$

I personally paid 482$ tx incl for a set of 205-55-16.

Thanks. I asked because I'm currently in the market for 18" tires and even though the price difference is 40% I will try the Michelin Super Sport. In the past I had Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 and I loved them. I was leaning towards the Eagle F1 Asymetric but after reading reviews and talking to people I will give the Michelin Super Sport a try.

I used these tires all last summer and I really liked them. I can confirm that they do fling up some pretty big rocks, when you drive down a dirty road that's all you hear.

Thanks. I asked because I'm currently in the market for 18" tires and even though the price difference is 40% I will try the Michelin Super Sport. In the past I had Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 and I loved them. I was leaning towards the Eagle F1 Asymetric but after reading reviews and talking to people I will give the Michelin Super Sport a try.

Aren't the super sports cheaper than the SP2?

I have DW all around but I've run them in 285/35-18 only in the back all last summer and I have pretty much the same conclusions as you do, although they're 2/3 worn in around 10k miles... But I guess my right foot could explain that.

I just bought two more for the fronts last week and am enjoying the comfort and reduced noise levels over my RE050As. The ride is so much better and the steering didn't lose any of its precision or feel.

This goes along with your review; they are amazing in the rain, I really feel a lot more confident. My rears used to be 275/40 S-03s before and slid everywhere in the wet if I so much as touched the gas while turning, which is obviously tons of fun, unless you aren't expecting it. It's not like that with the Conti's, only if I really give it.

I truly love Continental and will keep buying them, not going back to Potenza, ride was harsh, noisy when they wore, lost a lot of grip as they wore also, and expensive to boot.

I also love buying tires in the states, even after paying duty, I managed to save around 240$ just for the two front tires when compared to here. And I know the rears I had saved more.

Aren't the super sports cheaper than the SP2?

Yes, anywhere from $14 to $74 per tire vs the PS2. There are 4 PS2's listed on tirerack, depending on the load and speed rating.

I usually buy my tires from tirerack. This time around I will buy them locally given the price difference is sub $100 for the set and I prefer giving the business and helping out a local shop.

Yes, anywhere from $14 to $74 per tire vs the PS2. There are 4 PS2's listed on tirerack, depending on the load and speed rating.

I usually buy my tires from tirerack. This time around I will buy them locally given the price difference is sub $100 for the set and I prefer giving the business and helping out a local shop.

Agreed about buying local. It's not worth it for me to go pick them up at Freeport to save 10%, and if you get tires shipped to your door from tirerack, it costs more than buying local. I got a smoking deal on my DW's locally:bigup:

Back