Article: Could Fisker Save Lincoln?

AriGold

Reading Jalopnik and I came across this article about potentially merging Lincoln with Fisker. What do you guys think ?

Nobody seem to know what to do with Lincoln, which is just getting over its amazingly dull Superbowl ad failure. What if they merged with another totally-screwed carmaker, Fisker?

In the car industry, it's not rare for two struggling automakers to have a merger in the hopes of finally meeting success. Packard merging with Studebaker. Nash and Hudson. The entirety of the British car industry.

Maybe that's where reader IFTNFS got his idea for Lincoln to merge with Fisker when we brought up how Ford has just about everything right these days except for Lincoln.

Ford should take their record profits, purchase Fisker, and use the Karma as a base for a distinctive, svelte, technologically advanced LINCOLN.

The article a few days ago about the '65 Continental really got me thinking. The '61 Continental led a whole new styling direction for the industry, and it represented a different way of doing things. It stood out. It was sexy. It was classy. And it would have given me a crisis as a 2-door.

The Karma has everything that Lincoln needs - technology, exclusivity, distinctive styling, sex appeal. And Ford has everything that it would take to make the current Karma a viable, successful product - VAST technical resources, ample financial resources, a great dealer network, a global audience, and a real need for a high-tech luxury halo car.

Lincoln Motor Company needs to be a cutting-edge, sexy, top-tier brand that showcases Ford's technology. People will aspire to own a Lincoln again, and since the technology WILL make it to the rest of Ford's lineup before too long, what's on the new Lincoln will still remain relevant to the people that can't afford one.

I only wish I had the artistic skills to take the Karma and restyle it as a Lincoln. Something that calls upon Lincolns of the past, without being retro. Restrained, sexy, smooth. I think there's a lot of potential there.

You wouldn't even need to keep the Fisker's extended range hybrid system in there. You could wedge a Coyota or a Boss V8 in there and call it a day. For that matter, if you were a Lincoln exec and you were feeling crazy, would you not love to open the hood of your Lincoln-rebodied Fisker and find a 6.7 liter Power Stroke turbodiesel? Reviewers wouldn't moan about the loss of the electric motors when they had 800 lb-ft of diesel torque to play with.

And for that matter, a merger could work! I mean, look at all of the new Packards and AMCs and Rovers we're driving around in today. Fisker/Lincoln is gonna be the next big thing.

k-bigpic.jpg

Source:http://jalopnik.com/could-fisker-save-lincoln-478619697

Interesting, but unfortunately just speculation.

Lincoln is a very old company and like most such company (especially those that do not do so well), it is likely mired in its own bureaucracy and bad mix of ancient culture and ideas. Not sure how it would mesh with upstart dreamers (I mean that in the best possible way!) like Fisker.

Beside, the Karma would look bad with that shit ass key pad Lincoln puts on all its cars since 1985...

keyless_entry.jpg

I wouldn't say Lincoln is bound to die... it's getting a little bit better; the MKZ looks great, & I'm noticing a lot of MKX, almost as many as Edges... But it is true that they would have to make a huge comeback to become viable, kinda like Cadillac did... If Fisker tech can be used in conjunction with Lincoln heritage it would be great, but it is doubtful at best...

Exactly. Fisker could be bought by Ford to inject something new in Lincoln, which has been vegetating for quite some time now.

That is the point of OP's article...

Love the idea. Mainly because Lincoln is so dull but has money and Fisker is so cool but is bankrupt. Match made in heaven.

Two brands that are hemorrhaging cash and who have no brand equity can't save each other. This article is purely academic.

Interesting, but unfortunately just speculation.

Lincoln is a very old company and like most such company (especially those that do not do so well), it is likely mired in its own bureaucracy and bad mix of ancient culture and ideas. Not sure how it would mesh with upstart dreamers (I mean that in the best possible way!) like Fisker.

Beside, the Karma would look bad with that shit ass key pad Lincoln puts on all its cars since 1985...

keyless_entry.jpg

Since 1985 my 1980 continental had that

Back