Quebec Sikh community ready to fight turban ban

Rat^3

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/vide...ty-ready-to-fight-turban-ban/article12369392/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2013/06/05/mb-sikh-soccer-turban-ban-winnipeg-reax.html

At least one Winnipeg soccer coach and player says he's upset the Quebec Soccer Federation (QSF) has upheld its ban on players wearing turbans on the field.

Sikh soccer players in Manitoba can wear turbans, but that's not the case in Quebec, where the federation's executive director has said those who don't obey the rules can "play in their backyards."

Amer Parwana, who plays and coaches soccer in Winnipeg, says he doesn't like the fact that turban-wearing Sikhs in Quebec must choose between soccer and their religious beliefs.

"The initial reaction is you're angry," he told CBC News on Wednesday.

"Then when you start to delve into it and look into it, it seems like there's a little bit of ignorance."

Turbans, including the patka and keski typically worn by young Sikhs, haven't been allowed on Quebec soccer fields since the QSF banned them last year.

Federation executive director Brigitte Frot has said it takes safety too seriously to allow turban-wearing players.

However, Frot admitted that she doesn't know what the safety issues are and knows of no injuries involving turbans.

Parwana said the Quebec federation's decision puts a black mark on the game.

The QSF says it will only change its stance if ordered to by FIFA, soccer's international governing body.

The Canadian Soccer Association says players should be allowed to wear religious head coverings, as long as they don't pose any danger.

Is this Quebec taking another step backwards in life?

Is this Quebec taking another step backwards in life?

No, those are the Sikhs uttering plaintive comments about the right to wear their curtains on the field. Quebec has a stance against turbans and they want proper uniform to be worn.
I really hope they choke themselves with it.

They don't have to pick between playing soccer and their religious beliefs, it's their patents' religious beliefs. These are fucking kids for Christ sake, let them take the towel off!

They don't have to pick between playing soccer and their religious beliefs, it's their patents' religious beliefs. These are fucking kids for Christ sake, let them take the towel off!

walk around without your pants and underwear for a day and let me know how it feels like.

walk around without your pants and underwear for a day and let me know how it feels like.

Difference is society would have a problem with me being butt naked. His problem with taking his hat off would be entirely in his head.

If only we could show the same level of xenophobia to the rest of the Arabs festering and invading this province. Ultimately, I appreciate this as an example of enforcing Canadian norms, and not bending ass backwards for every single minority group here.

Oh yes, totally the same thing. People have to decide weather they want to stir shit up or just get along with the ways of living around here.

Wanna play soccer? Take off the towel. I really dont understand whats so hard to understand. The only thing I see in this is stubbornness..Immigrants have to understand that they are in Canada and that they have to respect how things are. There is no way around this. Not happy, fuck off.

FIFA does not allow headgear be worn when playing soccer. (Although it doesnt mention turbanbanbans specifically, the rule is to prevent players from gaining an unfair advantage when competing by jumping for a head ball with another hatless player)

Where's the problem? Turbanbans want to cheat?

At that point why not start a religion/cult that calls for heated skate blades (speed skating) or motorized assisted bicycles (bicycle racing) etc?

I support QSF's decision. It's about time we stop bending ass backwards for immigrants, their values and their religion, and start upholding our own in our country. They are already free to wear what they want at home and in public places, were not about to change the rules of organized events to accommodate them, especially over religious values.

Can't wait to see turbans in little league hockey. I say replace the hockey helmets with turbans and crush them up against the boards and teach the parents a lesson.

Children are not the problem, the problem is the parents living in the dark ages...

It is time for western society to stand up...

^ Vraiment une bonne idée ca....Faudrait pas qu'un gars mette un turban a blainville genre dans l'élite genre Battam 3A lol...

Why is this even an issue, honestly?

All Sikhs that I know wear these turbans, they're small and I don't see how they bother anybody. No Sikh person that I've met has ever forced any of their beliefs or customs on me, so I don't see how Western society is being threatened here.

If Jews are allowed to weir their kippas, why can't Sikhs wear their turbans?

Quote I got from a Spic FB friend.

"Reasons to ban turbans in soccer? Plenty being strewn about...unfair advantage because you can use a head twice normal size to go after the ball? Unfair to players because they're going to suck at heading the ball with the odd shaped turban and be made fun of by their peers to the detriment of their mental health? Outright dangerous because you can wrap metal plates into that turban?(facetious) I played soccer for 20 years...collisions head to head....how's the kid gonna feel when his turban gets knocked clean off his head in a collision? Wanna play a sport where a turban can't be worn, then don't wear it 90min a week while you play it. Football or hockey with a turban? Good luck finding a helmet. Think it's discrimination? Take it easy bud. These sports were around long before you and I."

Why is this even an issue, honestly?

All Sikhs that I know wear these turbans, they're small and I don't see how they bother anybody. No Sikh person that I've met has ever forced any of their beliefs or customs on me, so I don't see how Western society is being threatened here.

If Jews are allowed to weir their kippas, why can't Sikhs wear their turbans?

Cause the rules says no stuff on your head when you play soccer. Assez simple non? Comme tu le dis, WHY is it an ISSUE? Not happy? Dont play?

Back