Importing a car from ontario, personal seller, not dealer

Xc0m

Legacy Member
I found the car I want, but it's from someone in Ontario. I googled information but it's hit or miss. Some people say they get the 10 day permit in Ontario, others say the SAAQ, others ay you need insurance before getting it, others not.

So here I am asking the pros :)

What do I need to do, from A to Z, to buy car in ontario from this person (not a dealer), and bring it back to quebec, get it plated and drive it? Ideally, this would all be done on the same day. I don't want to stay in toronto forever

1 - Drive there early in the morning
2 - Check the car out
3 - Go to Ontario's ServiceCenter (DMV), get insurance papers faxed to me
4 - Transfer ownership to me
5 - Do i pay the taxes in Ontario? If so, since it's a personal seller, is there only one tax? Or is it the whole HST
6 - Get 10 day permit from Ontario
7 - Drive to Quebec
8 - Go to a Canadian tire or whatever, get it inspected
9 - Go to the SAAQ with all the papers
10 - Do I pay taxes in Quebec?
11 - start driving the hell out of it!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Print out a procuration form and fill it out with seller
Have insurance
Go to service ontario with seller, and get a temp permit to drive it home. Can't remeber if taxes were paid in Ontario.

Sold my CRX to someone in Montreal a couple months ago.

transit temporaire 10 jours emis par la province de l'ontario pour te donner le temps de prendre un rendez-vous pour inspection mecanique par un garage mandater par la saaq.

une fois le rapport de conformite rempli par le garage tu amene sa a saaq et tu demande un plaque.

Merci pour l'information!

Can anyone confirm where taxes will be paid, and since it's a personal sale, if taxes are federal and provincial, or just provincial?

I have the same questions.

Personal seller in New Brunswick, do I just need a transit from their Motor Vehicle Branch? Do I need to pay any sort of taxes and recuperate them in QC at the SAAQ?

Seems very hard to get an answer from anyone, either the SAAQ or their Motor Vehicle Branch.

Did this a bunch of times. Make sure you have your insurance policy number with you.
When checking out the car, make sure everything or almost everything works perfectly. Inspection is a bitch over here and you don't want to end up paying a shitload of money on the smallest and stupidest things that the CAA inspection will make you fail.
Thus, try finding a different inspection site where they are affiliated with he SAAQ(they tend to be more lenient)
And lastly, DO NOT FORGET TO BRING YOUR PASSPORT WITH YOU.
You need at least TWO pieces of ID's(a medicare card will not help) when requesting a 10 day permit.
Good Luck

J'ai acheté ma TSX en mai dernier en ontario, voici comment sa a fonctionné:

Demande au vendeur qu'il te fournisse la trousse de vente, sinon commandé la sur le site de l'Ontario, 20$.
Amène avec toi ton numéro d'assurance.
Amène avec toi ton permis de conduire.
Tu vas au bureau des plaques de l'Ontario avec le gars, tu donnes tes papiers et 10 ou 15$ me souviens pu.
Tu as ton transit de 10jours.
Tu prends rdv pour inspection dans le délai de 10jours.
Une fois complété et réussi, tu vas a la saaq pour la plaque.
Tu paies taxe de vente provinciale à la saaq.

Elle va te demander combien tu as payé, le gars est pas là, tu dis le moins possible pour payer le moins cher. Si elle dit que le prix est dérisoire, tu dis que le marché ontarien est différent.

No SAAQ inspection at Canadian Tire, there is a list of SAAQ mandated garages on their website.

thanks guys, the information is much appreciated! So hard to find this info anywhere else

A few more questions, please don't hate me :)

1 - If the seller wants to do a "vente d'accomodation" at a dealer, and I'm from Quebec, am I responsible for the Ontario taxes? Do I pay them and get a refund?
2 - The seller still owes money on the car to a credit union. Does the dealer pay that debt off, and I just pay the dealer for the car?
3 - Will the dealer be able to transfer the title and setup the temp permit, or do I still need to go to a service center for that?
4- If I were to buy the car directly from the seller, and not the dealer, how do I make sure the debt is paid off? Never bought a used car before, so no idea on that one..
5 - Possible to do all this in one day? I'd like to go on early saturday morning and be all done with it

1 - If the seller wants to do a "vente d'accomodation" at a dealer, and I'm from Quebec, am I responsible for the Ontario taxes? Do I pay them and get a refund?
No you can get an exemption but you'll have to provide some proofs/appropriate paperwork

2 - The seller still owes money on the car to a credit union. Does the dealer pay that debt off, and I just pay the dealer for the car? YES, that's one of the pros of doing it this way for the buyer

3 - Will the dealer be able to transfer the title and setup the temp permit? YES
or do I still need to go to a service center for that? NO

4- If I were to buy the car directly from the seller, and not the dealer, how do I make sure the debt is paid off? Never bought a used car before, so no idea on that one? SAME thing you would do here with RDPRM and write down a contract between you and the seller that states specifically that the seller declares that the car is free from any financial link to protect yourself in the event that you have to go to court.
Make sure you go to his place to see where he lives and check his ID's, registration papers and car paperwork so you can find him if you need to in the future and that you don't get passed a stolen car or a car that just don't belong to him.
Bring someone experienced along with you, test drive it for long enough and on the highway with radio off, test every switch/accessory, check it , double check it and recheck...both of you. Have it inspected if you can.

5 - Possible to do all this in one day? I'd like to go on early saturday morning and be all done with it. Easily possible if you do it right

I actually got some interesting info...

If I get the car shipped here, instead of picking it up in Ontario, I'm not on the hook for their HST (and then getting it refunded). Since we're doing a vente d'accomodation, I would have been liable for their taxes

The person / dealer I'm buying it from have a trailer they use for their cars, and would be willing to put it on the trailer and "ship" it here that same day. Can I get a temp permit from the SAAQ without having the car yet? Once over the border I would be driving it and bringing it for inspection in a day or two.

What documents would I need?

Back