CTV News - driving stick no longer popular

Actually because of compression with a manual, there's less braking involved than with an automatic.

Thanks for pointing this out, i hadnt yet figure it out after over a decade of driving and racing manual cars.

My point was, with an auto, since there's less compression you just keep a bigger distance than with a manual. I don't use the brake any more in an auto than a manual... More distance = less acceleration / declaration regardless of the type of transmission...

Je commence de plus en plus à pencher vers DSG/S-Tronic/SMG/etc...

Je dois être rendu trop vieux lol mais avec la route que je fais pour le travail, je commence à être tanné de la clutch dans le traffique...

Je me rends compte que le seul moment où tu veux VRAIMENT une manuelle c'est pour clutch-kick ou revmatch toi-même pour le plaisir...

Je regarde de plus en plus pour une TTS et je me dis que pour une quattro ca sert crissement à rien de pouvoir clutch kick ou quoi que ce soit...

Et le DSG donne plusieurs avantages...Rev match en permanence, tu peux shifter dans une courbe en appuie donc c'est super pour la track etc...

We'll see :)

The new 6 or 7 speed automatic gearboxes are awsome. Its ntg compared to the 3 , 4 and and 5 speeds auto we once hard.

If i would buy a new car, it would be automatic. Why waste your effort. If it was a older car, though, like an honda nsx or honda s2000 or e46 m3, of course manual is the bettr choice.

For manual, youll never have more than 6 speed but as for automatic, their up to like what, 8-9 speeds? This completely destroys the manual tranny in terms of fuel economy.

Only reason i see to have a manual car is for pure self pleasure and a bit more reliable. Not for performance.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

I can't speak for everyone, but in 16 years driving (and owning almost as many cars), I have all but exclusively owned manual vehicles (the exceptions being my minivan and a buick I had for 6 months when I was a teenager).

My benz is the first automatic I have used for my daily commute (40km each way). I can say there are moments when I ache for the 3rd pedal, but when sitting in barely moving traffic 2 hours a day, I have grown to love the automatic. I get to my destination more relaxed, and find myself a lot less edgy while driving.

Now I am not saying automatic is better or worse than manual (still prefer manual for anything other than stupid traffic), but that given the huge amounts of traffic in our city, it doesn't surprise me even a little bit that people would choose auto over manual.

Just my 2cents

Driving a manual Car is more involving. I'm driving manual since 15 years and when driving automatic corporate vehicule , I often found myself driving at a higher speed because no fuck given. Maybe not distracing, but less involving.

Ce que je trouve triste avec tout les nouvelle technologie( cruise controle adaptatif, bip angle mort, bip si tu pile sur la ligne sans mettre ton flasher), c'est que on s'enligne tranquillement vers "se faire conduire par son véhicule".

Honestly... Driving automatic with the amount of traffic in Montreal isn't a bad idea

Specially that you can just pop off your k/d cable and have a blast with it!

For weekend car, manual all the way, for a DD in the city... A/T all the way.

For manual, youll never have more than 6 speed but as for automatic, their up to like what, 8-9 speeds?

:thefinger corvette c7
corvette-stingray-11_600x0w.jpg

manual cars are a dying breed .. very sad .. i fall asleep driving gaymatic cars and always look for the clutch

manual cars are a dying breed .. very sad .. i fall asleep driving gaymatic cars and always look for the clutch

Dont do like me and slam the brake thinking it's the clutch. I'm sure I'm not the only one doing this by accident.

Enviado desde una patata con Tapatalk

Honestly... Driving automatic with the amount of traffic in Montreal isn't a bad idea

Exactly this! I love my S5 more and more in part for that reason!

And "no stick" doesn't mean ye-old torque converter... Thanks to technologies like DSG and the likes.

Le feeling mécanique d'une clutch peut pas être imité par une palette au volant. Je déteste conduire automatique dans le traffic, en laissant aller la voiture au ''idle'' ça avance toujours trop vite, toujours obligé de freiner sans arrêt. Crois moi, je connais ça le traffic, je me tappe le trajet rive-nord / rive-sud aller-retour à chaque jour et je préfère de loin le contrôle qu'une clutch m'offre. Souvent, j'ai juste à me laisser aller en 2ième vitesse en laissant un espace entre moi et la voiture qui me précède et j'ai aucuns problèmes.

La majorité du monde qui ont des autos DSG aiment ben ça les palettes les premières semaines à cause de la nouveauté que ça apporte mais c'est pas long que ça fini par mettre ça en mode ''drive'' et rouler en tout temps comme si c'était une voiture automatique.

moi jvx juste savoir ta profile pic vient de ou ?

I don't know what you guys are talking about with these dual clutch semi-automatic gearbox being so good?? I drove a Ford Focus Titanium and a VW Jetta GLI both cars, I believe had some kind of DCT.. rough jerky shifting, bad gas mileage etc.. Would not touch that shit, not with my money that's for sure. Normal slushbox, standard >> DCT

En vieillissant je dois admettre que j aime les deux. Les dernieres transmissions automatiques sont vraiment formidable et pas mal plus rapides qu'on peut le croire. And if you're falling asleep driving a ''GAYMATIC'' tranny, maybe youre driving the wrong car...

J'ai switché pour un char automatique quand j'ai commencer mon dep en mécanique vla un an et demi. Fuck le traffic

Dubweiser, fuck the technical bullshit. DSG's are probably far more efficient as more R&D are going into them over the years as you pointed out and most of the ' driving styles ' outlined here are personnal preference.

Yet...

I'll give you a proper reason.

There's nothing more enjoyable than slamming the third in WOT and listening to your engine mounts begging for mercy.

That's actually pretty gay to be honest, in my opinion part of being a racing driver should be mastering the art of driving a manual transmission, it becomes part of the game so to speak. It takes much more skill and concentration to race a fully manual car than just keeping both hands on the wheel and left-foot brake all the time. I guarantee you you can take the majority of F1 drivers today and put them in the old F1 cars from the 80's and earlier and they would struggle. Surely they wouldn't be as good as the drivers from back then.

The job of a racing driver is to run fast laps and get the most out of the car. It's definitely not his job to struggle with a shitty gearbox, slam gears, rev match and drive with 1 hand because it's ''more involving'' and ''takes more skill''. If you put the 1980's F1 drivers in today's cars they'd never run a fast lap either, today's F1 cars are completely different and have waaaaay more downforce, mechanical grip and are much more responsive than 1980's cars. To each driver their era...

As for manual vs automatic. Definitely DSG, today's transmission are just better at everything.

''GAYMATIC'' tranny, maybe youre driving the wrong car...

Anyone saying that he's falling asleep while driving whatever or thinks that driving either kind of transmission is too demanding doesn't have the proper skills to drive a car. PERIOD.
2 hours of stickshift is less demanding than a walk around the block, geez.

Driving is about paying attention to your surroundings.

Back