Insane hydro bill?

cyntheman

has anyone received an insane hydro bill.. last 2 months are just completely WACK after the new meter installation...

month of october - december we did $1,100 (we were on vacation.. WTF!)
january to march $1,500

WTF, we have never used that much electricity and on average expect ~ 400 - 500

has anyone else noticed an increase in their bills? Can hydro quebec pinpoint for us the root problem?

I have a feeling this new meter has something to do with this... thoughts?

I had an issue with an insane Hydro bill last year, before the new meters. 2 month period cost me $600. However, it was due to a faulty heating unit in my hot water tank.

The new meters are not counting any differently. They simply register on internal memory and emit a signal so they can be from outside your home.

En fait non pas tout a fait:

En fait, c'est que la méthode de calcul a changé avec les nouveaux compteurs.

Sur un compteur manuel, Hydro prend ta facture du mois (ou de deux mois) et divise par le nombre de jours depuis la dernière lecture pour calculer ta consommation quotidienne.

Les 30 premiers KWh sont facturés moins cher que les 31 et +.

Avec l'ancien compteur:
Si une journée tu consomme 35 et l'autre 25, tu te retrouve avec une moyenne de 30 et tu payes ton électricité moins cher. Sur le nouveau compteur, tu vas payer 5 KWh en extra, ce qui fait monterl a facture.

C'est la raison de l'augmentation. C'est pas la précision du compteur.

Voila pourquoi les gens voit leurs bill augmenter, coupler aussi a l'hivers tres froid.

Before telling is something's wrong , did you some calculation????

About heating time X your heating source electricity consumption ? About how many time you use the ove? water heater? dryer? light open?

2 MAIN reasons why it cost more this season :
- average temperature is lower
- average wind speed is higher ( huge difference since it get energy (heat) around the house away, by windows, attic, cracks)

When I moved, I did yell to hydro, but I had my sheet and calcul in hand. Was easy, only ONE thing was plugged in the electric panel and I had the running times.
They never admit that they just miss read the meter. Because, it was in winter, house around 12°C, nobody was living there = 400$ bill. They probaly tought that was impossible having no consumption in winter time , so they miss read.

Then they replace the meter to the new wireless one.

I have low-e thermos windows argon , 12'' attic insulation, intelligent thermostat with delta T 4°C, 21.4°c inside temps, lower in night, lower when working, stil have an 570$ bill. Which is ok-to-high for a 11XX ft2 bungalow.

My gran-ma, has bi-energy, she fill a 3rd mazout tank this week since october, 900 $ each!!! + electricity, for a 1000 ft2 bungalow, with 1975 cheap windows and bad insulation.

En fait non pas tout a fait:

Voila pourquoi les gens voit leurs bill augmenter, coupler aussi a l'hivers tres froid.

oui, c'est en effet, la différence parait la fin de semaine. Dans bien des cas, les gens qui on des thermostats programables sont programmé plus froid la semaine puisqu'ils ne sont pas la. La fds tu fais dla bouffe, tv, température au fond pour rester en pijama, alors tu peux pas récupérer ta surconsomation sur un jour où tu n'as pas dépasser les 31kwh

First 30 kWh/day 5.41 ¢/kWh
Remaining energy consumption 7.78 ¢/kWh

Je suis passé de 115$ à 440$, pour un logement vide excepté frigo et température gardé à 19 degré.

I had an issue with an insane Hydro bill last year, before the new meters. 2 month period cost me $600. However, it was due to a faulty heating unit in my hot water tank.

It depends on how big your home is because a $650 hydro bill for Oct-Dec is standard for me :s

Before telling is something's wrong , did you some calculation????

About heating time X your heating source electricity consumption ? About how many time you use the ove? water heater? dryer? light open?

2 MAIN reasons why it cost more this season :
- average temperature is lower
- average wind speed is higher ( huge difference since it get energy (heat) around the house away, by windows, attic, cracks)

When I moved, I did yell to hydro, but I had my sheet and calcul in hand. Was easy, only ONE thing was plugged in the electric panel and I had the running times.
They never admit that they just miss read the meter. Because, it was in winter, house around 12°C, nobody was living there = 400$ bill. They probaly tought that was impossible having no consumption in winter time , so they miss read.

Then they replace the meter to the new wireless one.

I have low-e thermos windows argon , 12'' attic insulation, intelligent thermostat with delta T 4°C, 21.4°c inside temps, lower in night, lower when working, stil have an 570$ bill. Which is ok-to-high for a 11XX ft2 bungalow.

My gran-ma, has bi-energy, she fill a 3rd mazout tank this week since october, 900 $ each!!! + electricity, for a 1000 ft2 bungalow, with 1975 cheap windows and bad insulation.

I just changed my oil furnace to an electric one. All your bills in this thread doesn't even compare to oil heating. Last I checked, oil was at 1.17L, and you usualy have a 900L tank, enjoy your bill of around 1100$ and thats JUST for heating. You still have your bill of electricity on top of that.

This is a fucking joke, its heating oil, not a refined product like gasoline, why the fuck is it at 1.17 now. And they wonder why people are all trowing their oil furnace tru the windows? LOL I only have 2 friends who still heat on oil and both of them are getting rid of that this spring. There are gouv. subventions that pay 1275$ if you change your oil furnace to an eletric one so its the best time ever to do it.

my bill this is 100$ over last year, same period (not exactly but close). Yes i MAY have heater a little bit more than last year, but i'm outraged none the less...

You do know someone else started a thread on the same subject yesterday right ?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

787 my last one, 74 days but out of which we were gone on vacation like 15 (house was still heated at 18 degrees, the 2 fridges were on but nothing else)

The new meters are not counting any differently. They simply register on internal memory and emit a signal so they can be from outside your home.

How can I check this? We got a new unit installed right before leaving for vacation.. I suspected the water heater but since it was brand new didnt give it a second thought.. any way to verify or do I need to call a technician? suggestions on anyone that could look into this? its still warrantied the heater we bought.

je viens recevoir mon bill électricité pour janvier / février

je payais environ 450-500 l’année dernière et cette année 630$

Et j'ai maison bungalow 1978 1000pi2/étage.... pas super bien isolé avec 50% fenêtre aluminium (deux coul. simple) et 50% PVC, alors je ne suis pas ce qui dirait le meilleur exemple de maison bien isolée/étanche et mon bill a augmenté, mais pas temps que ça.....

appel hydro yas quelque chose qui ne marche pas...ton yas tu une rallonge qui pars de l'extérieur vers ton voisin jamaïcain???....lol

How can I check this? We got a new unit installed right before leaving for vacation.. I suspected the water heater but since it was brand new didnt give it a second thought.. any way to verify or do I need to call a technician? suggestions on anyone that could look into this? its still warrantied the heater we bought.

I called the landlord since I rent my place. He sent over an old "Mario" type guy. I would think a technician would be best if you own the house.

Fist bill nov-dec 957$.. For 67 days... 1250sq bungalow, so 2500sq feet living space. With connected 750sq foot garage(full insulated).. Bran new build heated with electric central air, garage is on 5000w of baseboard heaters. My fuck up was heating the garage to 18c and running a none programable thermostate.
Now running Nest thermostat and keeping the garage at 8c, kinda excited to see my next bill!

Back