2014 Formula One Season Thread

The winner will be a Mercedes powered car. Hopefully merc or Williams. Bottas or Hamilton for the win.

McLaren has a one off special Mobil1 livery just for this race.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112873

eqe6y2yn.jpg
ajagu4yg.jpg

Red bull won't make it out of Q1 and no Renault powered car will finish the race. You heard it here first.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm worried it won't be the same without the screaming sounds of the N/A V10/12. How high can they rev this year? From what I've heard with the video clips I've seen (and posted here) on YouTube, they don't even sound as good as WRC cars...

I'm worried it won't be the same without the screaming sounds of the N/A V10/12. How high can they rev this year? From what I've heard with the video clips I've seen (and posted here) on YouTube, they don't even sound as good as WRC cars...

They can rev up to 15 000rpm. I dont think that they will hit 15k very often since they dont make any extra power from 10k because of the restricted fuel flow rate. They also have the gearbox ratios fixed for the whole season so 8th might be only for spa/Monza.

The cars are definitively faster in a straight line than the v8s. Alonso hit 336kph during testing at Bahrain.

They can rev up to 15 000rpm. I dont think that they will hit 15k very often since they dont make any extra power from 10k because of the restricted fuel flow rate. They also have the gearbox ratios fixed for the whole season so 8th might be only for spa/Monza.

The cars are definitively faster in a straight line than the v8s. Alonso hit 336kph during testing at Bahrain.

Power at the flywheel still goes up after 10500 rpm because of the "MGU-H -> MGU-K -> Flywheel" path that the power can take.

One way to see it is : At 10500 rpm, peak boost. Past 10500 rpm, boost has to go down because of the constant fuel flow limit but instead of opening a wastegate to do that you generate electricity from the turbine and send that electrical power to the flywheel. I've seen estimates of an extra 100 hp from that path with peak power around 12000 rpm.

Higher top speeds in Bahrain are mostly due to less drag and maybe more average power. Last year's top speed was 314kph but with the last 2-3 seconds of the straight spent bouncing on the rev limiter. The 20 kph gap everyone talked about is overrated.

Watching Melbourne P1 practice live on NBC Sports, the cars sound really subdued and will take some getting used to. The high pitch screech will be missed.

Back