Journey to pull-ups

El Maestro

So I've been doing trying to achieve pull ups lately... The fact that my max one rep at the benchpress was 275lbs gave me a little boost in confidence and I set myself as a side goal to be able to do a few pull ups.

For the past week, I've been coming home from the gym everyday and I've been trying to do at least 1 cliffhanger pull-up. Today, I've been able to do 1 + a half assed one.

Here's the thing... My left arm kinda hurts now.. Doing this everyday after the gym (would try this at the gym but I don't want to look like the fat ass who can barely do one).. Was it too much? I reeeally wanna be able to do pull ups before losing more weight but now that my arm is in legit discomfort got me a liiiiiittle worried.

Should I not be doing trying to do a pull-up or even more every day?

P. S any tips from you gurus to help me on the journey to pull ups? I'm mostly looking at Domo and Protégé Tuner right now but all tips are welcome.

Ok so your pressing 275 flat bench but you can' barely do a single cliffhangers..

sounds like you will have to change priorities my friend

Work your back like a motherfucker

Wow ta posture doit être dégeulase you have a huge imbalance .. sais pas juste chest chest bras chest bras chest dans vie

Gotta work your back/traps/legs/etc

Work your back

Sent from my Xperia using a random useless app with the worst interface ever.

sounds like my back is an issue here then lol.

P.s I don't just do chest and arms haha. The imbalance does make sense however. But that might be a life-long problem I carried over to the gym...

In the gym, I'm doing a lot of different stuff.

Just in case you might be wondering, this is what I'm doing in the gym right now:

Supersetting the following.

- Inclined Benchpress (wide grip)
- Seated row (reverse grip)
- Squat and press

- Flat bechpress (wide grip)
- Bent over rows (45 degrees grip)
- Squat and upright row

- situps
- lying leg raises
- plank on hands bringing knees to chest

I guess I'll have to look into including more back stuff.

sounds like my back is an issue here then lol.

P.s I don't just do chest and arms haha. The imbalance does make sense however. But that might be a life-long problem I carried over to the gym...

In the gym, I'm doing a lot of different stuff.

Just in case you might be wondering, this is what I'm doing in the gym right now:

I guess I'll have to look into including more back stuff.

doing alot of pushing but no pulling is wrong like I said.. you should do 50% back-traps-delts 50% chest-curls-presses to have a more balance body

If you're really into building a stronger you, I suggest you subscribe to Elliot Hulse on youtube, he explains all of the imbalances we have in our muscles, nervous system, etc

cheers

Can't do more than 10 reversed grip pill-ups crew. Dat heavy weight is weighing me down.

1371055857752.jpg

Can't do more than 10 reversed grip pill-ups crew. Dat heavy weight is weighing me down.

Which makes me think. I am 295lbs right now... Is there a possibility that my back isn't such a problem? lol. I mean, I would think my back is still weak but I maybe my heavy weight is part of the reason why I can bench 275 but not pull my own 295 up more than once?

Deadlifts
deadlift2.jpg

No point in attempting pullups at 300 lbs. Only very strong men will be able to achieve that at that weight.

Lol, nah. I just use it as an excuse to not push myself to do more than ten pull ups. Normal grip (close grip) and reversed grip pull ups are fairly easy to master especially if you use the assisted pull-up machine to help you achieve your max pulls goal. For me, the hardest of them all is the wide grip pull-ups. I can only do about 6 or 7 of those if I'm lucky. srs. Strengthening your back helps a lot.

I often use this machine to help develop my back:

Strength-Equipment-Fitness-Equipment-Gym-Equipment-Chest-Back-HS-1002-.jpg

^This + the lat pull-down machine = Ultimate synergistic work out for your back (upper) and can help improve your pull-up performance! It helped for me at least!

Lol, nah. I just use it as an excuse to not push myself to do more than ten pull ups. Normal grip (close grip) and reversed grip pull ups are fairly easy to master especially if you use the assisted pull-up machine to help you achieve your max pulls goal. For me, the hardest of them all is the wide grip pull-ups. I can only do about 6 or 7 of those if I'm lucky. srs. Strengthening your back helps a lot.

I often use this machine to help develop my back:

Strength-Equipment-Fitness-Equipment-Gym-Equipment-Chest-Back-HS-1002-.jpg

^This + the lat pull-down machine = Ultimate synergistic work out for your back (upper) and can help improve your pull-up performance! It helped for me at least!

For fuck sake i see this machine om every fitness program but theres none at my gym

So i go seated row, pull down.. Seated lat machine

Sucks

And bro if ur 300 pounds forget the pull ups for now

I dont understand your reverse grip? Close grip?

Pull ups are only reverse wide grip or else its a chin up

For fuck sake i see this machine om every fitness program but theres none at my gym

So i go seated row, pull down.. Seated lat machine

Sucks

And bro if ur 300 pounds forget the pull ups for now

I dont understand your reverse grip? Close grip?

Pull ups are only reverse wide grip or else its a chin up

Yeah sorry, I meant chin-ups. Lol I forgot the proper name for the exercises.
That machine (Don't even know what to call it) is the truth. Does wonders to my back.

Just like the deadlift, squats or even the bench press, it takes practice, proper form, and an escalating progress to lift your weight's equivalent.

The assisted pullup machine is great as at least you are doing the exact movement, i mean who gives a shit if you only do a couple or if you do 10 with 150lbs assistance, you go to the gym for yourself, to get stronger, healthier, or to impress the gym bro's who really dont give a rats ass bout you and wont remember your poor attempt after 5 mins of checking the,selves in the mirror.

Man just set it as a goal, and baby step it till you can do them....oh and yeah the less weight you have to pull the better obviously, you would be amazed what just 20lbs difference can feel like.

Just like the deadlift, squats or even the bench press, it takes practice, proper form, and an escalating progress to lift your weight's equivalent.

The assisted pullup machine is great as at least you are doing the exact movement, i mean who gives a shit if you only do a couple or if you do 10 with 150lbs assistance, you go to the gym for yourself, to get stronger, healthier, or to impress the gym bro's who really dont give a rats ass bout you and wont remember your poor attempt after 5 mins of checking the,selves in the mirror.

Man just set it as a goal, and baby step it till you can do them....oh and yeah the less weight you have to pull the better obviously, you would be amazed what just 20lbs difference can feel like.

I guess you're right. It certainly doesn't help that I'm so self-conscious and can't shake the feeling of being watched in the gym.

Oh and btw... Core strenght > back strenght
Oh definitely, I work a lot of core strength. I do include core work every day. Tuesday and thursday is also a "light" only day during which I only do core work after my cardio.

Question is: 300 pounds fit or 300 pounds with 35%bf

If I was at 300 pounds fit. I would probably not need to make this thread lol.

I'm at 300 pounds with probably around 25%bf. My gym buddy is also 300 and he looks a lot bigger/jelloier than I do.

In any case, not 300 pounds fit lol.

And about protege Tuner's machine..I don't think we have that machine at my gym lol. I'll check it out.. looks beast though.

300lbs and 5'11 = severely overweight, unless you look like:

3qsRb.jpg

I'd concentrate on cutting down/cardio. Like 80% cutting down 20% weight lifting until you drop at least 50lbs. Then you'll surprise yourself with the amount of chinups you can do.

Back