New to Montreal looking for cheap reliable car advice

You need to explain why a used Euro premium (Audi BMW MErc) car for 2500$ is not as reliable than a newer Corolla/Civic.... i find that funny

To be different

I vote Chevy Cobalt/ Pontiac pursuit

Main reason, you can get a newer one compared to a Corolla
2.2L with manual has good power, reliable, ok on gas
PArts are cheap

Ok let me rephrase, a 2500$ Audi A4 wont be maintened (Except if you're lucky) people who own them dont shed the money to do the maintenance properly vs a 2500$ Corolla which will be in shape for that price. Plus the maintenance on a Corolla or a Sentra for example wont be as expensive.

Im not hating on Euros, all im saying is that for 2500$ you WILL need to do some repairs/maintenance on a Audi A4 as opposed to a 2500$ Japanese or domestic car that will probably not require anything but gas and oil for a year.

You need to explain why a used Euro premium (Audi BMW MErc) car for 2500$ is not as reliable than a newer Corolla/Civic.... i find that funny

To be different

PArts are cheap

is this real life ? :dunno:

Ok let me rephrase, a 2500$ Audi A4 wont be maintened (Except if you're lucky) people who own them dont shed the money to do the maintenance properly vs a 2500$ Corolla which will be in shape for that price. Plus the maintenance on a Corolla or a Sentra for example wont be as expensive.

Im not hating on Euros, all im saying is that for 2500$ you WILL need to do some repairs/maintenance on a Audi A4 as opposed to a 2500$ Japanese or domestic car that will probably not require anything but gas and oil for a year.

Lol i was being sarcastic
I meant it's Funny that on a car forum where people know about cars you need to explain such a easy thing to understand

as in, of course a 2500$ 1999 Corolla will be more reliable than a 2500$ 1989 BMW 735IL, sorry my GF tells me all the time that by typing i don't express myself too good,

You could also look for an accord, drinks a tiny bit more petrol than the smaller cars but you get the added space for luggage/camping stuff

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

To be different

PArts are cheap

a fuckton more maintenance than a nissan/toyota/honda for starters, 2 more axels, a diff, turbo (more coolant/oil, vacuum lines that can break), expensive oil changes, more electronics that shit themselves after 15+ years, the multi link suspension with a thousand control arms.

Japanese cars you just change the oil and put gas in it, thats about it...so getting a shitty deal is less likely than with a euro..the slightest lack of maintenance on the previous owner's part and your fucked.

edit: realized you weren't srs after reading above posts.

Thanks for all the advice, a welcomes. :D

My first thoughts where Japanese, cant really go wrong, cheap parts, reliable to an extent.
I used to an s14, so anything I buy I will no doubt look like my Granddad driving it.

What the deal with the licence plates in Canada? Do I need to buy my own, or does it come with the car?

Last edited:
What the deal with the licence plates in Canada? Do I need to buy my own, or does it come with the car?

~255$ Per year, you get your own. Depending on when you buy it it may be less : I.e.: in my case my renewal is May 31th, so if I would buy a car in April I would pay ~30$ for a month, then I would have to pay 255$ a month later for a full year renewal.

Hope it helps and as mentionned before an Accord would be a good bet, dont forget the third pedal for a less boring car.

~255$ Per year, you get your own. Depending on when you buy it it may be less : I.e.: in my case my renewal is May 31th, so if I would buy a car in April I would pay ~30$ for a month, then I would have to pay 255$ a month later for a full year renewal.

Hope it helps and as mentionned before an Accord would be a good bet, dont forget the third pedal for a less boring car.

I would prefer a manual as that's all I have ever driven, but the GF might need to use it from time to time. :(

My winter beater is a 2002 Saturn. Plastic panels, very reliable, easy to work on, cheap to maintain and parts are easy to find. Not as pretty as an A4 but nonetheless a good car.

Really!? $30 a month just for a plate....

Yeh we pay almost £1.50 per litre! Running a larger injector/turbo s14 wasn't cheap but so worth it.

I'm still looking around and will be getting more serious in August. I just need something that doesn't look like crap, and kinda reliable.

More suggestions welcome :)

There seem to be a few Audi A4's around.
2002-audi-a4-3-0l_100029139_m.jpg

Any other suggestions for a reliable car?

OP wanted a reliable car, not a fix every week car lol.

For your 2500$ , nothing beats an honda civic / honda accord.

As for a civic , there's TONS of used parts available , much more than volkswagens / nissan / toyota.

Back