Official Cigar Thread

y8a7evu7.jpg

BBQ time at the shop. Another one of my go to non cuban. Light smooth and forgiving for those who don't smoke much.

y8a7evu7.jpg

BBQ time at the shop. Another one of my go to non cuban. Light smooth and forgiving for those who don't smoke much.

What kind r they. Just recently starting smoking cigars and I'd like to try them.

Sent from my Nexus 5

can't remember the cigar from the top of my head but it was good!!

plus my small humidor!!

Got these not too long ago.....now im out!!

Lets bring this thread back!
I am starting to smoke cigar i got myself some partagas and was also thinking of getting some jose L. piedra .
I currently don't have a humidor but will be using a big vacuum sealed container with beads and a hydrometers you guys think it will do the job until i build my own cigar humidor?
What would be the best website for accessories , looking for xikar cutter etc

Lets bring this thread back!
I am starting to smoke cigar i got myself some partagas and was also thinking of getting some jose L. piedra .
I currently don't have a humidor but will be using a big vacuum sealed container with beads and a hydrometers you guys think it will do the job until i build my own cigar humidor?
What would be the best website for accessories , looking for xikar cutter etc

If you have a cooler, you are set. It isn't the prettiest setup, but one with the least maintenance. Ensure you have enough beads (or kitty litter, its cheaper!). As for accessories, check ebay. I got some good Xikar hydrometers from a guy in Montreal. If not order from the states it will be cheaper then around here. As for you starting to smoke, try singles, dont commit to full boxes as your palate will change as time goes on.

How long is a cigar good for without a humidor?
It can last a week or two in a sealed ziploc in stable temperatures and away from sunlight.

@Vitulla

I have a problem, with my humidor, it always kept humidity well but since a few months they fuckin dry out. I have the system with the crystals and just bought a new one. I put propylene glycol 70% as I always did... does an humidor have a limited life?

fb4d22491a4ba5f122db80633b0a2d1a.jpg

e874c3eb333128d493a5f4bc8a6c13f0.jpg

If you have a cooler, you are set. It isn't the prettiest setup, but one with the least maintenance. Ensure you have enough beads (or kitty litter, its cheaper!). As for accessories, check ebay. I got some good Xikar hydrometers from a guy in Montreal. If not order from the states it will be cheaper then around here. As for you starting to smoke, try singles, dont commit to full boxes as your palate will change as time goes on.

It can last a week or two in a sealed ziploc in stable temperatures and away from sunlight.

@Vitulla

I have a problem, with my humidor, it always kept humidity well but since a few months they fuckin dry out. I have the system with the crystals and just bought a new one. I put propylene glycol 70% as I always did... does an humidor have a limited life?

fb4d22491a4ba5f122db80633b0a2d1a.jpg

e874c3eb333128d493a5f4bc8a6c13f0.jpg

I see water stains in your humidor? Not sure why?
Also that small puck of beads is not enough. Here is what I suggest
http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=14
I like the tubes as they fit in nicely. I would go with 65% as 70% is too high. My cabinet is set at 63% to give you an idea. I don't use that solution either. I go with distiller water and a sprayer from dollarama.
So in your case here is what I would do:
Do a paper seal test. Basically take a strip of paper, close my humidor on it and pull paper. You should not be able to pull the strip of paper out. If you do, you are losing humidity.
Buy bead tubes. Calculate cubic inches of humidor and order enough for 1.5 times. You don't need to but I like the fact there's extra insurance for the low humidity winters.
Get some distiller water and sprayer. Remember that they don't need to be soaked. A spritz or two should be enough
Recalibrate hygrometers. Boveda sells a pouch that's fool proof.

Let me know if you have any other questions

I don't think your humidor is air tight. It is harder in the winter to keep constant humidity but 50% is a bit low. Propylene should give you 70%.

I see water stains in your humidor? Not sure why?
Also that small puck of beads is not enough. Here is what I suggest
http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=14
I like the tubes as they fit in nicely. I would go with 65% as 70% is too high. My cabinet is set at 63% to give you an idea. I don't use that solution either. I go with distiller water and a sprayer from dollarama.
So in your case here is what I would do:
Do a paper seal test. Basically take a strip of paper, close my humidor on it and pull paper. You should not be able to pull the strip of paper out. If you do, you are losing humidity.
Buy bead tubes. Calculate cubic inches of humidor and order enough for 1.5 times. You don't need to but I like the fact there's extra insurance for the low humidity winters.
Get some distiller water and sprayer. Remember that they don't need to be soaked. A spritz or two should be enough
Recalibrate hygrometers. Boveda sells a pouch that's fool proof.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Thank you for the answer!! I just ran the test and it seems to be tight, I can't take the sheet out without tearing it. I'll buy the tubes but it find it weird because that puck size is what I always used.

I don't understand what I'm supposed to do with the sprayer? I already have distilled water for the whiskey, do I spray the interior?

Thanks man!

Thank you for the answer!! I just ran the test and it seems to be tight, I can't take the sheet out without tearing it. I'll buy the tubes but it find it weird because that puck size is what I always used.

I don't understand what I'm supposed to do with the sprayer? I already have distilled water for the whiskey, do I spray the interior?

Thanks man!
The sprayer is to spray the beads. When the beads are white they are dry. When they are transparent they are perfect but they can't be dripping wet. That's why a sprayer works well.
Also never spray or wet the wood ever as it will warp. We're you using your humidor then "abandoned" it and started using it again? If that's the case it needs to be seasoned. This can be done by putting a small bowl of distilled water in your humidor. no cigars in there.
If your ordering send me a pm I need a tube or 2. We can split shipping.

Back