Taxes on Buying a Used Car in Ontario

stevester1

Tried searching, didn't find exactly what I was looking for:

Bought a used car from Ontario (2007), from a dealer, and paid: X
Sold him my car for: Y
Sum left to pay: Z

In Ontario, I was taxed on the balance, Z. Now from what I was told at la SAAQ last Wednesday, I would have to pay Quebec tax (9.5%) on Z here as well. No problem. I went today and they charged me 9.5% on X, the total sum before my trade-in. Did I just get f'ed over? The girl at the counter actually said "I'm in training I'm not sure how this works". From what I understand, if this same deal would have occured entireley in Qc, I would have been taxed once, on the balance, not the total before trade in.

Could really use some help, thanks guys.

sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum.

In Ontario, I was taxed on the balance, Z. Now from what I was told at la SAAQ last Wednesday, I would have to pay Quebec tax (9.5%) on Z here as well. No problem. I went today and they charged me 9.5% on X, the total sum before my trade-in. Did I just get f'ed over? The girl at the counter actually said "I'm in training I'm not sure how this works". From what I understand, if this same deal would have occured entireley in Qc, I would have been taxed once, on the balance, not the total before trade in.

I would seriously take a one hour consultation with a tax lawyer, or a consultaiton with a CPA.

User "Chaosexpanding" can recommend some, he once referred me to a defense lawyer friend who turned out good.

If he cannot give you someone good, I'll ask around for someone good :).

Was hoping to avoid getting a lawyer involved, although I will if it's my last alternative. Thanks for the help.

Any other takers?

All you need is the help of a Tax Lawyer. Tax Lawyers are being trained, experienced and licensed on handling every technicalities involving settlement process and tax resolution. Additionally, contracting Tax legal counselors will allow you to settle on suitable decisions. They are the main master you can have which have the experience when it goes ahead expense settlements.

All you need is the help of a Tax Lawyer. Tax Lawyers are being trained, experienced and licensed on handling every technicalities involving settlement process and tax resolution. Additionally, contracting Tax legal counselors will allow you to settle on suitable decisions. They are the main master you can have which have the experience when it goes ahead expense settlements.

I guess he has it sorted out!! the OP hasn't logged in like since October 2014!!

Back