Article: Stopped by a Hyundai Voloster with a plate scanner? What happened here?

DannyITR

Administrator
Staff member
173851_Private_Sector_Use_Of_Automated_License_Plate_Scanners_-_What_s_Legal_In_Quebec.jpg

English: http://www.montrealracing.com/wp/wp...-entreprises-privees-legal-au-quebec/?lang=en

Francais: http://www.montrealracing.com/wp/wp...-par-des-entreprises-privees-legal-au-quebec/

By: Benjamin Hunting

The technology used to invade the privacy of motorists is advancing at a rapid rate, and automated license plate scanners are at the bleeding edge of what’s legal under Canadian and provincial law. These devices track the license plate numbers of every vehicle on the road ahead – parked or moving – and compare them to a database in order to identify stolen vehicles, vehicles with unpaid registration fees, or vehicles associated with a crime.

In Quebec, automated license plate scanners have been used by law enforcement for a number of years, with Montreal police initiating a pilot program in 2011. The controversy surrounding these scanners is a nuanced one – since the plates being scanned are parked or driving in a public place, supporters of the program say that it’s the equivalent of an officer seeing the plate with his or her own eyes. Critics claim, however, that the automated gathering and comparison of plate information in a database constitutes an illegal search, given that there is no probable cause associated with linking a given plate with an infraction. There’s also concern that the data that is warehoused by the scanning system could be used to track the movements of specific vehicles, an activity which is illegal without a warrant.

I’ve been following the plate scanner saga for a number of years, which is why the scene I came across today on Monkland avenue in Montreal’s NDG neighbourhood caught me by surprise. An Infiniti JX was parked and booted on the side of the road, with two cars boxing it in – each of which had plate scanners attached to the roof or hood, linked to laptops mounted on the dashboard. I later confirmed with a security sector professional that these were indeed plate scanners. A woman was in the Infiniti speaking to two men, who were the drivers of the scanner-equipped vehicles.

An unusual scene to say the least, and one that got weirder when I was asked to stop taking photos by a man who would not identify himself, but who was clearly not linked to the city or law enforcement. When I asked questions about the scanners, and asked him who he worked for, he told me he was not able to discuss it. A second man, also in casual dress, asked me again to step away from the vehicles, at which point I reminded him that we were in a public place, that I was a journalist, and that taking photos was well within the bounds of the law.

Here’s my question: are these plate scanners being operated by a private company, and if so, is this legal, and what laws regulate the data that is being collected? Specifically, I am curious as to how that data is being used, and how long it is stored. Also, how does it relate to the vehicle with a traffic boot on it? I saw some paperwork in the hand of one of the men who spoke with me that had the AVIS rental car logo prominently displayed. Is AVIS using plate scanning technology to repossess vehicles that have been kept past their contract period? If so, how common is this technology in the private sector in Quebec?

I’ve had a lot of trouble finding any legislation linked to private use of automated plate scanning technology in Quebec. Please contact me here at The Car Guide if you have any information regarding this subject that could help us get a clear picture of what was happening on the street this afternoon.

Original article: http://www.guideautoweb.com/en/arti...icense_plate_scanners-what's_legal_in_quebec/

An unusual scene to say the least as these two unidentified men spoke with a woman parked in a booted car on Monkland. The SUV was boxed in by the two scanning vehicles, was booted, and the driver would not leave her automobile.

The man in the grey sweatshirt repeatedly asked myself and the man in the red jacket to leave the scene, and refused to identify himself at any time.

Automated license plate scanning equipment mounted on an unmarked vehicle in Montreal, Quebec.

Each scanner can cover parked cars as well as moving vehicles.

A closer look at the automated license plate scanner.

The man on the far right asked me to stop taking photos of all three vehicles.

The license plate of one of the vehicles featuring automated scanner technology.

The license plate of one of the vehicles featuring automated scanner technology.

C'est clair que c'est des policiers selon moi
SRCS ou ASFC

C'est SCRS, pas SRCS. ASFC =/ police btw.

Et quoique c'est possible, j'pense pas que ce soit le cas. Trop "flashy".

N'importe qui avec un peu de cash peut acheter des lecteurs de plaques et ainsi trouver des correspondances avec des bases de données privées.

Y'a rien de privé par rapport à une plaque (un numéro) en tant que tel. Ce sont les renseignements qui y sont attachés qui peuvent l'être. Par exemple, la base de données de la SAAQ ou les différentes bases de données rattachées sont confidentielles et réservées à un usage par des agents de la paix.

Mais si, par exemple, Joe Blow décide de se créer une base de données avec des informations X en lien avec des numéros de plaques, et par la suite utilise un lecteur de plaque pour les repérer et accéder à nouveau à ces informations, il peut bien le faire... Tant que tout respecte la loi.

Wow if someone put a boot on my car I'd be maaaaaad...

Although, i wouldn't anything and just call the police lol.

Un Veloster (possiblement le meme) a passé sur ma rue ya deux semaines je crois avec ces cameras. Je trouve franchement que ca va beaucoup trop loin.

they can put a boot on parked cars? What if the car is parked there for days and was not driven after the license expired?

Here’s my question: are these plate scanners being operated by a private company, and if so, is this legal, and what laws regulate the data that is being collected? Specifically, I am curious as to how that data is being used, and how long it is stored. Also, how does it relate to the vehicle with a traffic boot on it? I saw some paperwork in the hand of one of the men who spoke with me that had the AVIS rental car logo prominently displayed. Is AVIS using plate scanning technology to repossess vehicles that have been kept past their contract period? If so, how common is this technology in the private sector in Quebec?

I’ve had a lot of trouble finding any legislation linked to private use of automated plate scanning technology in Quebec. Please contact me here at The Car Guide if you have any information regarding this subject that could help us get a clear picture of what was happening on the street this afternoon.

J'ai pas vu ça souvent un journaliste aussi paresseux. Il est pas supposé poser les questions, il est supposer y répondre.

Crazy stuff... I wonder why she was getting her car booted.
I also wonder if the guy in the red jacket is this guy:
173852_Private_Sector_Use_Of_Automated_License_Plate_Scanners_-_What_s_Legal_In_Quebec-640x400.jpg

ugYf3nrQ_400x400.png

Back