12 hours in Tokyo ?

Sn0wblade

I have a lay over in Tokyo, and i have to go from Narita to Haneda and i have 12 hours... in mid-december.

What should i absolutely see in Tokyo in 12 hours during the day ? (6 am to 6 pm ! )

Thanks!

Come on. Tu peux pas quitter Tokyo à 6pm! C'est à ce moment-là que la ville se réveille pour aller fêter.

Ce que tu peux faire, c'est d'aller à Akihabara (district de l'électronique), Asakusa (Kannon Temple et marchés publiques), Ginza (la rue Ste-Cath de Tokyo), Ueno (parc, zoo et musées), Harajuku (district fashion ados et le plus grand magasin de jouets s'y trouve, permanence du Cirque du Soleil), Shibuya (district fashion 18-25ans, resto, bars et love hotels, la statue de Hachiko), Shinjuku (district des sièges sociaux, visiter la tour du gouvernement municipal de Tokyo), Akasaka-Mitsuke metro (Ninja Restaurant, un incontournable).

i did this in Feb....
if you MUST go to Tokyo for bragging rights, then there is an express train that takes you there from the airport. 40mins ride i think. spending only a few hours in the capital would be a waste of money because it will feel like any other big city and not really absorbing it.
we went to ASAKUSA instead because i wanted to show the temple to my gf, and get a feel of a small town. the train fair is pricey... everything is pricey in japan.lol

if you want, i can show you how to read their train maps and stuff so you don't get lost and take the slow train.

with which company are you flying with? with JAL, i had the option of having a 5 days "lay-over" so i can enjoy the city without paying extra air faire.

only thing i'll tell you, is to time your travels to the minute. because they are never late, and never wait 2 seconds for any departures (bus, trains, JR, tram).

with which company are you flying with? with JAL, i had the option of having a 5 days "lay-over" so i can enjoy the city without paying extra air faire.

THIS!!

Check with your travel agent or the airline to have your lay-over extended. I did it maybe 1 week after buying my ticket and only paid 50$ fee or something... soooo worth it.

Mount Fuji seems like an obvious choice. In 12h, you can probably only go to the touristy bits...

If not, check on Speedhunters for some gnarly speedshops and go there!

Mount Fuji seems like an obvious choice. In 12h, you can probably only go to the touristy bits...

Meh... Mount Fuji is a good 2-3h travel distance from Tokyo center.

Hakone and Nikko are better places to visit if you want to see mountains areas around Tokyo. Mt Fuji is only good at the end of summer: the best period of time to climb it.

Hakone is closer than Mt Fuji from Tokyo and Nikko is around 2hrs to get there from Tokyo.

Hakone and Nikko are better places to visit if you want to see mountains areas around Tokyo. Mt Fuji is only good at the end of summer: the best period of time to climb it.

Hakone is closer than Mt Fuji from Tokyo and Nikko is around 2hrs to get there from Tokyo.

You also see Mount Fiji very well from Hakone but I would not go there on a layover, even less so Nikko (been to both).

I would say Nikko. If you get a rental car, ripping up and down Iroha-zaka should be a blast.

1 - tatsumi parking area on wangan

2 - daikoku futo

3- maharaja night club

4 - hide away and purposely miss your flight...

5 - marry a Japanese woman and stay there forever!

enjoy.

4 - hide away and purposely miss your flight...
5 - marry a Japanese woman and stay there forever!

enjoy.

Ces 2derniers points ont passé à quelques chx à se concrétiser dans mon cas... mais j'ai manqué de couilles (repartir à zéro, aucune connaissance de la langue japonaise et un anglais limité... c'était assez que je choke).

I'll check all your suggestions out...

I'm on a schedule i will be coming back from a 1 month trip in Laos and Vietnam, so i have to go back to work someday! I'll do a Japan only trip later in my life that is for sure !

Back