List of "safe" travel european countries for a school trip.

lord_galathon

So here's what's going on: My daughter's high-school is planning a European trip for next year and my kid qualifies to go. Trouble is they want to go to Greece (fine with me) and Turkey which is predominantly Muslim (99.8% as per census data) and clearly I don't want my daughter anywhere near there.

I don't want to prevent her from traveling abroad, but going to an Islamic country right now is not acceptable in my opinion.

I've drawn up a list of "acceptable" European travel countries as follows:

England
Ireland
Scotland
Austria
Switzerland
Finland
Norway
Germany
Belgium
France
Italy
Greece
Portugal
Spain
Luxembourg
Vatican
Poland
Denmark
Sweden
Malta

The idea is that at the parent's meeting we are having to plan this out, I want to make a statement to the effect that although I'll allow my kid to travel, I will not allow her to go to a country that is risky enough that the UK travel advisory "Strongly" advises not to travel to due to risks of terrorism.

My wife agrees strongly with me on this as neither of us want her to travel there. We're just fine with the countries in the list above.

Travel Canada of course is too soft and has no such warning because God forbid we anger the Turkish immigrants...we'd have to immediately apologize...

It's also a matter of principle for me, they'll be going as tourists and the last thing I want to do, is give money to a country whose first religion is a "religion of peace" but also a religion that has poor women's rights.

Anyone have any more arguments against (or for) traveling to Turkey?

Would you allow YOUR kid to go to Turkey.

I understand that one day, when she's an adult, if she wants to go, I won't be able to stop her and I'm fine with that, she'll be an adult.

My daughter doesn't really care about going to Turkey in itself, she just wants to go to Europe. She'll be 16 by when they go next year.

Thoughts? Ideas? Discuss.

The Ukraine

Edit:

Srsly tho, the countries you have listed are fine. Also, what kind of school does your daughter attend? Sending kids on a school trip to Turkey? Don't they watch the news? Brb getting kidnapped by ISIS.

I'd add Czech Republic and Hungary to your list.

2 years ago I went on a European trip with a friend, my favourite cities were Prague, Krakow and Budapest.

LG, bullshitting crap on MR since April 2007. Your daughter will be very proud of you after you flash your ignorance in front of everyone.

The only reason I wouldn't go to turkey right now, is because I wouldn't travel to a country bordering ISIS. There's also violent Kurdish protests in Istanbul right now in isolated neighborhoods but generally is a very nice place to travel...

The only issue here is how little OP actually knows about Turkey. People there are so nice, you just sound like a massive ignorant asshat with your Muslim bashing.

LG, bullshitting crap on MR since April 2007. Your daughter will be very proud of you after you flash your ignorance in front of everyone.

The only reason I wouldn't go to turkey right now, is because I wouldn't travel to a country bordering ISIS. There's also violent Kurdish protests in Istanbul right now in isolated neighborhoods but generally is a very nice place to travel...

The only issue here is how little OP actually knows about Turkey. People there are so nice, you just sound like a massive ignorant asshat with your Muslim bashing.

Tu es raciste. Tout les pays d'Europe sont safe sauf l'Albanie, l'Ukraine et la Moldavie

So all three of you would send your kids on a school trip to Turkey without batting an eyelash?

1da7f8012f0ac016f13018a146eb949f.jpg

http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/turkey

Advisories

Turkey - Exercise a high degree of caution

There is no nationwide advisory in effect for Turkey. However, you should exercise a high degree of caution due to crime, the threat of terrorist attacks, and ongoing demonstrations throughout the country.

I don't think LG is being racist, just a cautious parent.

inb4 "Taken 4" Starring LG, the new Liam Neeson.

So all three of you would send your kids on a school trip to Turkey without batting an eyelash?

1da7f8012f0ac016f13018a146eb949f.jpg

We both wouldn't send our kids because.

The reasons are different.

I wouldn't send them because of the rioting going on in Istanbul due to the Turkish oppression on Kurds (meanwhile Kurdish refugies are flooding the city further intensifying the riots)

Your reason is vastly different
lord_galation said:
going to an Islamic country right now is not acceptable in my opinion

One reason is an actual credible reason, the other is ignorant and racist. Guess which is which?

My office advises the following:
Travel only when essential and with rigorous precautions.
Turkey (border areas with Iran, Iraq and Syria)

Therefore, I would still visit a place like Kusadasi and would applaud my captain when he docks the ship at the port.

Would not send my kid anywhere east of Czech Republic, except Finland.

Eastern europeans are crazy as fuck

I was in the Czech Republic for 2 months and came back last month. Prague is an amazing and safe city. So much history there that you'll need a month just to see it all. It's also one of the few major european cities to not have been bombed during the wars, so a lot of stuff is intact.

UNESCO is also pumping billions into Prague and other surrounding cities. It's worth going there. Cheap too. Food is freaking amazing.

Those are my 2 cents on where to send your kid. Western Europe is very americanized by comparison to some of the central/eastern european cities. They're cool to see, different culture, but central/eastern europe is a great experience.

So much ignorance in this thread. Montreal has parts that are more dangerous than most eastern european countries.

Also Lg knows exactly what he is doing, he is seeking for attention as usual.

So much ignorance in this thread. Montreal has parts that are more dangerous than most eastern european countries.

Also Lg knows exactly what he is doing, he is seeking for attention as usual.

Wouldn't send my kid in the montreal either

I second what Dubweiser said.

I'd go to Turkey in a heartbeat normally, who cares it's a muslin country, visiting Turkey (touristy places and big cities) is not like visiting extremist neighborhoods in Islamabad, there's a lot to see and do in Turkey and people are pretty friendly. I would avoid right now because of the riots and instability in the region.

Otherwise, IMO all European countries are safe (you didn't name all euro countries there lol) except maybe Albania and Ukraine (now). TBH, like somewhat said, western countries are sort of americanized, if she's looking for an experience, for a little culture shock, she should go central & east. Czech Rep., Hungary, Romania, Poland, Austria, Greece, Croatia. Northern nations have their charm but it will get expensive VERY fast with Norway, Sweden and Finland on the list.

Back