2015 Formula One Season Thread

Scooter

Premium
Reste pas grand chose jusqu'a Albert Park... un peu plus que 2 mois.
Mais jusqu'a la...ca commence deja.

mclaren_zps029f893f.jpg

" So once the new crop of V6 turbo hybrid powertrains were developed, that was it. But now three of the of the sport's leading teams are calling on the FIA to unfreeze engine development. Their reason? Unfair advantage.

There's little question that Mercedes did the best job of developing its "power unit" to meet the new regulations that took effect at the beginning of this past season. That's how the Mercedes team won all but three of the grands prix this season and finished with at least one car on the podium at every single race. It's also a big part of how the teams that bought their engines from Mercedes this season managed to consistently outperform the other non-works-supported teams. "

McLaren-Honda joins call for engine unfreeze .
Honda has finally declared its position on the controversial 'engine freeze' in F1.

"As Mercedes utterly dominated the first season of the radical new turbo V6 era this year, rivals Ferrari and Renault-powered Red Bull made clear their desire to ease the tight limits on in-season engine development.

Joining the three engine makers in F1 next year is Honda, who will provide works power to the famous British team McLaren.

Until now, McLaren's position on the freeze has been less clear, but team boss Eric Boullier has now declared that he believes engine development should be freer.

And Honda's F1 chief Yasuhisa Arai is quoted by Speed Week: "Engineers and fans have one thing in common, which is their desire for competition.

"This is only possible if parts can be developed," he added. "

what exactly is engine development freeze? they do not allow improvements/revisions to the power plant during the season?

what exactly is engine development freeze? they do not allow improvements/revisions to the power plant during the season?

It's a loop in the system because of "no date mentioned in the rules"... being new you are paying for it. By new meaning your first year in the F1 with the hybrid technology.
Basically for 2015, McLaren will use an engine that is almost certainly less powerful and less reliable and to top it off, the other three engine manufacturers will be allowed to improve their units as the season progresses, while McLaren are stuck with whatever Honda delivers by the end of February.

Thx for the explanation Scooter, thats fuken gay.
Although I am sure Honda will strive to deliver a great powerplant, it's unfair.
Long gone are the glory days of F1
needs a reset

Teams are allowed to update a limited group of parts on the engines throughout the season btw, just not enough to really make a difference vs the mercs.

They have a points system which dictates how much they can modify from 2014 to 2015. Each year they have less points to spend in the areas that they want so that in 2-3 years the engine development is completely frozen.

Honda is not being fucked in the ass like many say because since day one they were building an engine for 2015.

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117259/fia-allows-2015-f1-engine-upgrades

Now where this comes along is that the '14 engines are eligible for the new season. The teams have a choice to race a less powerful engine and keep developing until they reach their goal ( let's say renault does this and brings the final upgrade for spa/monza), or just use a fully developed engine from Melbourne.

You also have to consider that Honda has had a year more to fine tune their baseline and could see what the other teams were doing ( I.e. W05' split turbo) and what problems the teams had and test all of that.

I am not worried at all for mclaren-honda

^^^ Hope you understand that at this point and level a simple screw can make a huge difference.
So that extra time to develop that screw could be crucial.

It still wouldnt make much difference, because all the time you are not using the new engine is time lost at the track. They can only use 4 engines for the whole season, i would rather have 4 new spec engines than have to lose one engine because it is '14spec

Now where this comes along is that the '14 engines are eligible for the new season. The teams have a choice to race a less powerful engine and keep developing until they reach their goal ( let's say renault does this and brings the final upgrade for spa/monza), or just use a fully developed engine from Melbourne.

You also have to consider that Honda has had a year more to fine tune their baseline and could see what the other teams were doing ( I.e. W05' split turbo) and what problems the teams had and test all of that.

I am not worried at all for mclaren-honda

Yeah pretty much, the manufacturers from last year will homologate their engines late in the season.

Although I think Mercedes, with 4 teams to supply, will homologate more quickly I think because doing a last minute homologation would put too much strain on their manufacturing ressources. What they supply to the teams has to be the same thing no ''works'' and ''customer'' specification engines here, granted some things change because the cars all have different aero packages, etc.

Renault on the other side, with only 2 teams to supply and Ferrari with 1 team, could homologate their engines really late in the season because they will have less to manufacture. We could well be assisting to a dominant McLaren-Honda for 5-6 races, then a dominant Red-Bull or Ferrari once the new engines are homologated for the rest of the season.

Honda has a kick-ass engine from what's out there, Mercedes-style split turbo and all... ;)

Williams this year :bigup:

Another quiet season coming up. I hope they change direction for the better and deliver a better product by 2016. Until then this is it.

At least I can save a toonie on ear plugs again at the race this year.

And mercedes will be able to further develop their engine and be even further ahead than last year. Go MBGP!!!

looks great but was sorta hoping for something better with the paint scheme.. However I like the fact it reminds me of the West cars from the late 90s early 2000s..

Ferrari. Still see "Marlboro" on the sidepod
ferrari-sf15t-2015-3-886x475.jpg

Sauber
20150130_sauber_c34-ferrari_fr-54cbae8aaac55.jpg

Back