News: Maybe take the bus? Air Pollution Blankets Montreal

DannyITR

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.montrealracing.com/wp/wp/2015/01/air-pollution-blankets-montreal/

Time to start taking the bus?

If you think visible air pollution is limited to cities like Beijing, think again. A smog warning is in effect for the Montreal as air quality continues to deteriorate.

There is a thick blanket of pollution hovering over the city as you can see from this photo taken from Ville St-Laurent yesterday.

Environment Canada issued a special air quality statement for Montreal – Laval early this morning which reads:

Atmospheric conditions could result in a deterioration in air quality.

We can all help improve air quality by doing simple things, such as limiting the use of fireplaces and wood-burning stoves, opting to use public transit, and reducing our driving speed and not letting our car engines idle unnecessarily when using our cars.

Smog especially affects asthmatic children and people with respiratory ailments or heart disease. It is therefore recommended that these individuals avoid intense physical activity outdoors until the smog warning is lifted.
Additional information

Residential wood heating is responsible for almost 61% of particles that contribute to smog during winter. This activity generates the largest number of these particles – more than industrial activities (22%), the use of
motorized vehicles (14%) and other sources (3%)

Link: https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?qc67

0115-pollution.jpg

It has been a dry and cold winter, with all the salt/sand and other abrasive material laid everywhere it causes particles to suspend in the air. This is another reason why the air quality is deteriorating. We need massive snow storms...

It has been a dry and cold winter, with all the salt/sand and other abrasive material laid everywhere it causes particles to suspend in the air. This is another reason why the air quality is deteriorating. We need massive snow storms...

I don't think the heavy particles of dirt and salt rise that high. It's more the very light and much smaller particles from wood heating/transportation.

This activity generates the largest number of these particles – more than industrial activities (22%), the use of
motorized vehicles (14%) and other sources (3%)

They come with precise numbers and...

... not you !

Is this your opinion of the situation or do you have serious sources ?

Does anyone have stats on how many people actually use wood for heating? It must be a minority who is contributing to the majority of the smog. Theres so many cars on the road, yet they only contribute 14% of smog, goes to show just how clean cars have become.

The witch hunt against wood stoves continues...

Wood stoves produce almost twice as many smog producing particles as industrial activities and vehicles combined? Suuuuure...

The witch hunt against wood stoves continues...

Wood stoves produce almost twice as many smog producing particles as industrial activities and vehicles combined? Suuuuure...

Well, if it is the source of the problem... We all ear how residential coal use in Chinese city is making them swin in smog but we would brush aside a similar issue here?

It takes only 1 twit to burn garbages in his shitty fireplace to ruin the effort of thousands. That's a fact. We are surrounded by twits, that's also a fact.

Does anyone have stats on how many people actually use wood for heating? It must be a minority who is contributing to the majority of the smog. Theres so many cars on the road, yet they only contribute 14% of smog, goes to show just how less dirty cars have become.

Fixed

Does anyone have stats on how many people actually use wood for heating? It must be a minority who is contributing to the majority of the smog. Theres so many cars on the road, yet they only contribute 14% of smog, goes to show just how clean cars have become.

And I'm certain that all the cars that are gridlocked everywhere on the cone-infested Island have nothing to do with the smog either.

Also, do not compare China which uses coal to heat uninsulated appartments with people that enjoy to look at a wood fire once in a while. How many people on the Island use wood heat alone? Not very many, that's for sure...

I don't believe that 61% figure. If that were so, Smog would not have become so prevalent as it has for the last 10 years just because of that. There were nowhere near that amount of smog in the 80's and 90's. I doubt that many people have installed/reactivated fireplaces in the meantime. But traffic has gone throught the roof.

And I'm certain that all the cars that are gridlocked everywhere on the cone-infested Island have nothing to do with the smog either.

Also, do not compare China which uses coal to heat uninsulated appartments with people that enjoy to look at a wood fire once in a while. How many people on the Island use wood heat alone? Not very many, that's for sure...

I don't believe that 61% figure. If that were so, Smog would not have become so prevalent as it has for the last 10 years just because of that. There were nowhere near that amount of smog in the 80's and 90's. I doubt that many people have installed/reactivated fireplaces in the meantime. But traffic has gone throught the roof.

You clearly have no idea how much smog there was in Montreal or others Western cities even before the car bloom. All due to coal & wood burning. Just a hint, it was probably as bad as China now. My father was telling me how sooth used to cover everything, how drying your clothing outside would be impossible, that's 50 years ago, here.

One of the reason, and we've discussed that before, for the problems are the tons of new Condo development built with fireplaces a few years ago. The number of active fireplace in the city jumped a ton in the last 10-20years. Contractor install the cheapest certified crap to lure buyers who then burn stupid shit.

I don't think the heavy particles of dirt and salt rise that high. It's more the very light and much smaller particles from wood heating/transportation.

Voila.

''Residential wood heating is responsible for almost 61% of particles that contribute to smog during winter''

Voila.

''Residential wood heating is responsible for almost 61% of particles that contribute to smog during winter''

Une chose qui peut mélanger les cartes est la réalité des particules de sel en suspension dans l'air au dessus des océans et des côtes. C'est les matières en suspensions les plus communes dans l'atmosphère, en général.

Par contre, je pense que le processus qui envoie dans l'air marin des sel dissous en mer est très différent du sel pulvérisé sur nos routes.

We can all help improve air quality by doing simple things, such as 1) limiting the use of fireplaces and wood-burning stoves, 2) opting to use public transit, and 3) reducing our driving speed and not 4) letting our car engines idle unnecessarily when using our cars.

1) Women love lumberjacks and fireplaces. You would be a fool to not keep a chopped up tree in your house and burn said tree when female friend(s) are over.
2) lol, opting involves making a choice, my choice is to take my car.
3) Time is money so no.
4) You can drive a frozen car if you like, I'll take mine warm thank you very much.

1) Women love lumberjacks and fireplaces. You would be a fool to not keep a chopped up tree in your house and burn said tree when female friend(s) are over.
2) lol, opting involves making a choice, my choice is to take my car.
3) Time is money so no.
4) You can drive a frozen car if you like, I'll take mine warm thank you very much.

Les foyers sont supposés disparaitre dans pas si longtemps a Montreal.
Un moment donné tu vas devoir utiliser le transport en commun pour certains de tes deplacements. Wait and see.
Time is money, yes, and eventually you will save money AND time by using public transports.
Branches ta voiture la nuit avant de partir, 3 coins de rues plus loin you will be blowing hot air.

Les foyers sont supposés disparaitre dans pas si longtemps a Montreal.
Un moment donné tu vas devoir utiliser le transport en commun pour certains de tes deplacements. Wait and see.
Time is money, yes, and eventually you will save money AND time by using public transports.
Branches ta voiture la nuit avant de partir, 3 coins de rues plus loin you will be blowing hot air.

Relax Mr Vert, I was kidding. I will have to disagree with you that you will never save time using public transport. Money no doubt, but time, no chance.

Also for anyone curious about pollution in China, here at two comparative pictures

Exhibit A) Pollution over Shainghai Pudong Airport
IMG_9472_zpsacvteeek.jpg

Exhibit B) Middle of nowhere China on the way to Shenzen
IMG_9473_zpsncbvmi8f.jpg

Bonus pics:
Smoggy Shanghai skyline
IMG_9496_zpsmxrasjix.jpg

Clear Shanghai skyline
IMG_9474_zps41adayo2.jpg

Back