Mustang GT 4.6?

Deysh

Looking at an 06 mustang gt with a 4.6 v8 on it. an elder man from work wants to sell it to me if the price is right. just wanted to know, what are you guys' opinions on this model?
car has 88,000km.
thanks

Looking at an 06 mustang gt with a 4.6 v8 on it. an elder man from work wants to sell it to me if the price is right. just wanted to know, what are you guys' opinions on this model?
car has 88,000km.
thanks
Great car. I've had mine since 2005. 13.65 in the 1/4 mile stock off the showroom floor. Intake and tune will get you in the high 12's.

A couple of issues.
Takata airbag recall which is being covered by Ford.
Some cars had a water leak on the cowl which would allow water to get to the smart junction box in the passenger kick panel.
This is an easy fix you can do yourself in 30 minutes with a tube of silicone.

2 issues that MAY come up. I have had neither issue.
05-07 mid year used the HT sparkplug. Getting them out sometimes had them breaking the shield in the head. This is the same issue with the F series pickup 5.4L and 6.8L.
I have never broken one because I remove them every year. I have the special tool and there are many YouTube videos. This would not prevent me from purchasing the car.

Issue with VCT (variable cam timing).
Some people have had cam phasers or the VCT solenoids fail causing knocking like a diesel. This is not a very common issue especially if the car has low miles and had had good maintenance. The solenoids can be replaced without even removing the valve covers.
Cam phasers require removing the timing cover and replacing the phaser.
If you have to go that far you can buy a complete timing kit from Ford Racing for around $500 and change all the timing components at the same time.
If you buy all the components separately from the dealer they are over $1,000. If I were to go in there and do that job I would replace the oil pump at the same time with the ford racing unit.

If you need this type of stuff done I would call Sylvain at Billet Pro Shop. It will get done right and at a fair price.

Mine has been supercharged since 2006 and is now running 543RWHP on the stock motor with no issues so I know they are reliable.

I wouldn't worry too much about the above issues on a low mileage car except for the spark plugs. I would do them as soon as the weather would allow.

If you need to borrow the tool for the spark plugs or have any other questions you can PM me. Also checkout S197 forum for all your hard core 05+ Mustang questions.

I bought an 05 GT back in September of 2013. I don't drive it in the winter, but drove the hell out of it last summer. Its really a fun car to drive!

Another issue that was not listed above is the stepper motors in the instrument cluster.. they tend to fail. If you have any experience with a soldering gun, its very simple & easy. It took me about 45 minutes to do the 4 motors including removing, re-installing, and recalibrating. No special tools required. The motors could be purchased off ebay for 5 bucks for 5 motors.

Other than that and the problems listed above, its a great car. The rear end is very happy when on the throttle. I purchased mine stock, since then I've added cat-back exhaust (Magnaflow), Intake & Tune (Johny's Motorsport in Laval), gears (4.10 from FR), rear sway bar (Hochkis), lower control arms (BMR), and a few other goodies. More to come this year! The mods are not too expensive either.

There's several forums, both locally and across North America, which are more than helpful! Quite a bit of local help as well from various shops: Johnny's Motorsport, MustangDirect, there's also a guy in Napierville, etc.

As for the comment above, I changed my spark plugs for Champion 1-piece last summer. Its a scary process, make sure to use a lot of Seafoam Deep Creep!!! But I managed to take out all 8 without any breaking (stupid Ford for using 2-piece!!).

If you do go ahead with it...the best thing I was told: don't fear the gear!! lol

Cheers bud.

Andrew

Wow thanks a lot for your help guys, very useful information here. I think I learned more about this car with all this input compared to all the internet searches i did combined. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Remember the Mustang is ford's flagship, they put particular care that they do the best with them, i would go as far as to say that it is the most reliable of ford's car. Also, i just put a deposite on a 2005 with 76k km ;)

Remember the Mustang is ford's flagship, they put particular care that they do the best with them, i would go as far as to say that it is the most reliable of ford's car. Also, i just put a deposite on a 2005 with 76k km ;)

let me know how you find it! im looking on sealing the deal with mine this march with my co-worker

honestly, i dont think you'll regret it. I love the sound and feel of mine. No regrets on my end.

honestly, i dont think you'll regret it. I love the sound and feel of mine. No regrets on my end.
in terms of heaviness, coming from a guy who daily drove a civic si lol, how is it? also, what are some cheap quick mods i could do once i get the car?

in terms of heaviness, coming from a guy who daily drove a civic si lol, how is it? also, what are some cheap quick mods i could do once i get the car?

It's still a big car with massive front over hangs so it feels like you are driving a battleship. I had a very good suspension setup on mine and I found pretty twitchy if you hit a bump mid corner even with BBK rear lower control arms, BMR adjustable diff mount and panhard bar. It's just a characteristic of a solid axle. What's nice though is it's very neutral and won't try to kill you, very easy to handle. The only issue I had was the bolts that hold the MAF in place backed out, I solved that with locktite. At the time I didn't bother with local shops and dealt with American Muscle as the dollar was at par. I wasn't going for power but wanted a good driving/handling car.
1380711_455754584528972_246195757_n_zps76b7a483.jpg

photo315_zps390f48df.jpg

Was good times....

Dans l'ensemble c'est un bon char avec assé de power pour t'amuser,
le feelling de conduite est agréable du a la propulsion.

C'est plutot le prix qu'il va demander qui va dicter si ca vaut la peine de l'acheter ou non.

I came from a modded 03 GTi as a pleasure car, to my DD '10 328xi. To compare, my mustang is bigger than my BMW. Its a big car, no doubt about it. Is it heavy, yes but remember, it has a V8 powerplant.

As for mods it depends what you classify as "cheap".
- Intake & Tuner: ~500
- Axle-backs: ~300 used locally
- Sway bars: ~500 for the set
- Panhard Bar & brace: ~300
- Springs & shocks: ~700

All depends what you want to do at the end of the day. As MrShelby said, its the price that will make or break the deal. I paid $11000 for my '05 GT in 2013. There was maintenance to be done to the car, but the body was impeccable.

Cheers,
Andrew

I came from a modded 03 GTi as a pleasure car, to my DD '10 328xi. To compare, my mustang is bigger than my BMW. Its a big car, no doubt about it. Is it heavy, yes but remember, it has a V8 powerplant.

As for mods it depends what you classify as "cheap".
- Intake & Tuner: ~500
- Axle-backs: ~300 used locally
- Sway bars: ~500 for the set
- Panhard Bar & brace: ~300
- Springs & shocks: ~700

All depends what you want to do at the end of the day. As MrShelby said, its the price that will make or break the deal. I paid $11000 for my '05 GT in 2013. There was maintenance to be done to the car, but the body was impeccable.

Cheers,
Andrew
Axle back exhaust is not a performance mod on an 05+.
There is 0 HP gain.
You will need to go with a set of long tube headers if you want any performance upgrades from the exhaust.
A set of under drive pulleys on the other hand will give you close to 10hp.
Go with Steeda if you go that route.

let me know how you find it! im looking on sealing the deal with mine this march with my co-worker

I'm picking it up this Tuesday, here is the only pic i have of it for now.

I just sold both my 2001 z06 corvette and 2001 Cadillac DeVille since i'm moving in with my GF soon and will only have 1 parking spot.
I figured a Grand Turing is the perfect middle of the Deville Luxury and Corvette "supercar".
Will let you know how i like it!

2uOuwb4.jpg

Axle back exhaust is not a performance mod on an 05+.
There is 0 HP gain.
You will need to go with a set of long tube headers if you want any performance upgrades from the exhaust.
A set of under drive pulleys on the other hand will give you close to 10hp.
Go with Steeda if you go that route.

Wasn't necessarily going with "performance" as a list, but more of a guide. The axleback's dont add power, but the do add one hell of a sound.

C'est le meme prix et y'a pas gros de différence sur le Fuel,
moi j'irais avec 4,10,
si ta Mustang est presque stock et que t'as pas l'intention de la monter a 500hp +++,

4,10 vaut la peine.

4.10 gears are really fun but can be tiring for a dd since first gear is non existent. Traffic gets annoying but the powa is always there

Back