Powerline to Boost WIFI System

You would need a pair to make it work, so a powerline kit.

Given that you would stay wired on your top floor, it should work well(it's hit or miss with powerlines depending on the house wireing but usually it works okay). If you're going to have a powerline kit from bottom to top floor, then get an access point for wifi on your second floor, I would advise against it, I would rather get a newer router and adapters that use Wireless N.

so something like this ( if you're gonna connect your router to your powerline on the bottom floor, then second powerline to computer using wires) :
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=274278cf5b7625a02446b8300ceb7147en02

WRT54g maybe ? like this ?
Linksys_WRT54G_V1.jpg

you could flash dd wrt for free on that router and in the new menus you will find an option to boost the power level to 251mW instead of the stock 90 mW
and if you have the one with removable antenna just spend $20 more to buy 2 better antennas

Same router here, running dd-wrt for about 6 years now, no problems. You probably want to check what is actually causing it to cut out, if it's a loss of signal or high amount of noise or something the router is not agreeing with. There are phone apps you can download that will show you what other networks are around and you find yourself a quiet channel. Just going to dd-wrt could solve the issue if it's something specific to streaming, but you do get more options (PS don't turn the power up to 251 mW, not every router can take that.. start with 100).

Side story, I figured out that my monitor's power supply would kill my the wifi connection of any device it was placed next to. Moved 3 feet over = no problem. Stuff like that makes a difference.

I flashed it already and it seems that it's only with my wdtv that it's having trouble with, while streaming 1080p youtube. At this point might be my connection I guess which is not fast enough (5 MPBS might be too small I guess) ?

I flashed it already and it seems that it's only with my wdtv that it's having trouble with, while streaming 1080p youtube. At this point might be my connection I guess which is not fast enough (5 MPBS might be too small I guess) ?

5mbps isnt enough for 1080p streaming if you have any other devices connected to the network.

If you wanna stream 1080p and your multiple people on the same connection I'd recommend at least a 15mbps connexion...

Back