News: So why do we always blur license plates when posting pictures on the net?

IllusionX

0315-plates.jpg

http://www.montrealracing.com/wp/wp/2015/03/why-do-we-blur-license-plates-online/

When I started posted photos online of other people’s rides fifteen years ago, I always took care to blur the license plates. Why? People sometimes freaked out and threatened to sue me if they saw their plate online.

After it became impractical to find and blur license plates in hundreds of photos each week, I began to question why I was doing this at all. It’s not like anyone except an employee at the SAAQ could use this information to obtain someone’s address so while it’s “technically” possible that a plate could lead a thief to your home, the chances are so slim that it just makes no sense to worry about it.

There is also the other small problem: your plate is visible when you drive down the street! It was visible at the car show you just attended! It’s far more likely that a thief who somehow had access to a SAAQ computer and wanted to search for cars to steal would simply attend the car show and write the plate number down himself. If you’re that worried just take the plate off when you get to the show.

After a short while I just stopped blurring out plates. I figured there would be some backlash but surprisingly I can only recall one or two emails from people asking to take down their plates.
In short, don’t worry about seeing your license plate number online.

Another link:

http://jalopnik.com/why-do-we-always-blur-license-plates-on-the-internet-1691298199

Let's discuss?

pour des photos sur la track, beaucoup de manufacturier vont annuler ta garantie si tu mets le char sur la track

sinon , who cares.

I know it doesn't change anything, but I do it because if I don't I might get more request to take down pictures or videos as they are "sharing someones personal information without their consent"...as has happened before.

I had a year recap video on YouTube and it was taken down because there was a black FRS who's plate I didn't blur out and a complaint was filed to YouTube for violation of privacy. I don't know if it was the owner who did it or not, but this was NOT the only car who's plate was visible in the video - however, the time-stamp associated with the complaint was on that black FRS.

Je pense que c'est Mitsubishi qui filmait des drag pour annuler les garanties de Evo qui coursaient quand ça sorti, genre 2003-2004...

je viens de chercher sur google et oui, mitsubishi , gm , vw, ford(surtout avec le front brake lock sur les 2015 stang) vont te lousser l'anousse si tu mets ça sur la track.

take the plate off/tape the VIN

I do it because most of my cars have been modified, it's one thing when you see me drive by and see my plate. It's another thing when you post pics of your ride with details of what's been modded, stereo, engine etc. I feel that it just makes it easier for thieves... after all your volunteering a grocery list of goodies to them. I'm sure professional thieves can easily look up your plate and see where you live. Now they know where the pot of gold is at the end of the rainbow.

I do it because most of my cars have been modified, it's one thing when you see me drive by and see my plate. It's another thing when you post pics of your ride with details of what's been modded, stereo, engine etc. I feel that it just makes it easier for thieves... after all your volunteering a grocery list of goodies to them. I'm sure professional thieves can easily look up your plate and see where you live. Now they know where the pot of gold is at the end of the rainbow.

vas pas dans un meet avec ta voiture, quelqu'un pourrait te suivre jusque chez toi... lol

I used to blur plates one by one of car show photos I took. Then I realized how silly it was and stopped doing it in 2002. Like the article says:

EVERYONE ALREADY SEES YOUR LICENSE PLATE NUMBER EVERY TIME YOU DRIVE DOWN THE STREET!

Oui tsé, tous les voleurs ont accès au registre des plaques...

T'as pas besoin d'une plug a SAAQ pour savoir à qui appartient un char selon la plaque. N'importe quel policier peux look-up un numero de plaque.

J'ai jamais caché de plaques sur mes photos, et j'ai jamais eu de problèmes. Les forums en Europe sont vraiment anal la-dessus par-contre mais je contourne ces règles là en mettant des photos d'en avant :p Sur les pages ''Spotted'' sur Facebook, ils sont aussi super paranos... Mais c'est vraiment en Europe qu'ils capotent le plus avec ça, on m'a déjà demandé de cacher les plaques de ma propre auto...

I never cared, even with my car very modified. My ex wife and other randoms used to freak out about it but I was like whatever.

Back