Why are SNAP-ON tool sets wayyyyy more expensive than Sears/Canadian Tire ?

student13

Why are SNAP-ON automotive tools wayyyy more expensive than say MasterCraft/Sears or Moto Master/Canadian Tire?

I don't foresee any war and tear greater with hand tools used from a dept store versus snap on ?

Snap-on tools are a bit overpriced however the tools have their own advantages. To give you an example: 80 tooth ratchet is very helpful when you don't have room to work. Also, they have wrenches that are a lot less bulky than normal ones.

For the same reason a Rolls-Royce is more expensive than an Audi. You pay for a brand and quality.

For someone who doesn't know who to install a block heater, Mastercraft/Craftsman tools will be more than enough.

inb4toolbrandwar

C'est un symbole de statut socio-économique. En dehors de la job tu flash avec ton F150 king ranch, pendant la job tu flash avec tes outils snap on.

Snap on feels sexier when you use them.

Serious, use a Snap-on ratchet, then a motomaster ratchet.

The motomaster feels so coarse and flimsy, snap on feels solid and the clicks are buttery smooth.

It does them same job though. If you're a weekend mechanic, there's no point, but if I spent 12 hours a day wrenching away on cars, I could definitely justify the premium for snap on.

like others have said

NOTHING **feels** like snap on. Mind you I do have plenty of other tools of other brands, but for hand tools, snap on is the ONLY way to go (sockets, wrenches, ratchets) the precision of the sockets, the teeth of the rathcets the grip of the wrenches, nothing compares

if youre a DIY'er, then yeah any brand is fine. but if your like me and your working on cars 40+ hours a week, snap on WILL make your life easier

au moins si snap on était si cool..

L'affaire qui arrive avec snap on ou mactool c'est que ça fini tout le temps par être un autre outil copier par un autre compagnie 3-4 fois le prix plus cher qui est vendu, la raison que pourquoi snap on et mactooool sont cher? Ils se déplacent (truck) a ton garage et t'offre un des outils garantie qui disent de qualité qui te vendent 5 fois le prix que ça vaut et une personne qui t'as crosser en se te donnant un t-shirt avec ton ratchet 84 dents.

Appart de ça j'ai entendu dire qu'aux états s'était le monde de sears qui se fendait le cul pour vendre leurs outils en unité mobile..

ma laisser le thread aller avant den mettre trop..

snap on offers service a domicle if you break a tool or need to buy another one.

However snap on is not the ONLY top notch tool company. Mac tools is probably its rival, but less popular with car mecanics.

I use UltraPro sold at Napa - Love them, and they are guaranteed for life at Napa, just bring it and they'll give you a new one or fix it if its a ratchet. I find they work better than mastercraft too.

But ya, weekend mechanic, keep an eye out at Napa or Canadian tire, I know nice sets come on sale at Napa every once in a while for like 180$. Canadian tire they're always on sale..

I don't really know about snap-on, but if I want a long lasting tool I'll go for Proto...

warranty, precision built, metal quality, no flimsyness... place a 380$ Proto torque-wrench next to a 100$ mastercraft one you'll quickly notice the difference just by gripping it. Pretty much like holding an ikea steak knife in one hand and a japanese butcher knife in the other.

I'm a weekend mechanic and I like working with quality shit when I can afford it.

Tools are like wine, the average will notice a really good one from a really bad one but only few "expert" really know the difference to justify price between a good and a really good one...

snapon makes great Tools, price are not that bad considering they are "proudly union made" in america but most part and full time mecanics will do Wonder with ultra pro or canadian tire Tools. also, snapon dealers are sometime assholes when come warranty time, something i haven't seen with cheaper Tools...

There are toold brand AS GOOD as Snap On or better for cheaper/similar price out there. The problem is when I break my ratchet/socket/need a speciality tool. I give my Snap On salesman a call and usually he comes right away or within a 2 hour window.

Now break or need something else from another brand and you gotta order it and wait for it, or go pick it up yourself and exchange it when it breaks yourself.

I dunno what you're doing with the tools to break them.. I barely managed to break a mastercraft sockets using crazy extensions.. otherwise the bolt usually breaks well before the tools.

I swear by my Mastercraft. They've come a long way in terms of durability, plus Canadian Tire is amazing at replacing broken tools.
For extra durability, Mastercraft Maximum is your best bang for the buck, and probably just as tough as Snap On at half the price.

We bought a few Snap-On tools and I was kinda disappointed with the quality. I truly believe that people who buy them are nostalgic about the brand, and/or want to show off the brand, much like the Mercedes badge on the front end of a B200.

I dunno what you're doing with the tools to break them.. I barely managed to break a mastercraft sockets using crazy extensions.. otherwise the bolt usually breaks well before the tools.

It happens, even to the best tools. Sometimes, you don't force well on it, or use it for the wrong application, or sometimes there's a defect in the casting / forging. Mastercraft tools of today are good enough for regular and heavy usage, but they do break. It's not worth getting a ridiculously expensive brand, especially if your an occasional fixer-upper.

snap on offers service a domicle if you break a tool or need to buy another one.

However snap on is not the ONLY top notch tool company. Mac tools is probably its rival, but less popular with car mecanics.

I use UltraPro sold at Napa - Love them, and they are guaranteed for life at Napa, just bring it and they'll give you a new one or fix it if its a ratchet. I find they work better than mastercraft too.

But ya, weekend mechanic, keep an eye out at Napa or Canadian tire, I know nice sets come on sale at Napa every once in a while for like 180$. Canadian tire they're always on sale..

Mac tools its rival? hellll nooo

They *try* to rival snap on but the quality is far far less. I bought a few mac tools products and I was dissapointed. Some stuff are china made, feels very cheap compared to a similar snap on tool. (i bought a pry bar set, pick set and bolt extractor kit from them, regret not dishing out the extra money and going snap on)

Give a try to Wurth tools, I am surprised by the quality for the price... And most shops already deal with them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Y'a des outils qui valent la peine d'acheter snap on ( Prybar, ratchet 1/4, 3/8 et 1/2 et tournevis ( Pis encore la, un paquet de 80 tournevis chez CT a 40$, essaie de battre ca, même si sa brise ca vaux la peine puis en plus sa brise pas.) mais c'est tout.

Des coffres a 10 000$ pour un gars qui fait de la mécanique automobile je comprendrai jamais. Un International fait la job en masse ou même un Mastercraft maximum.

Les outils a air c'est Ingersoll Rand.

Les pinces j'aime beaucoup les Blue point ( Snap on ) et les Irwin.

Y'a des outils qui valent la peine d'acheter snap on ( Prybar, ratchet 1/4, 3/8 et 1/2 et tournevis ( Pis encore la, un paquet de 80 tournevis chez CT a 40$, essaie de battre ca, même si sa brise ca vaux la peine puis en plus sa brise pas.) mais c'est tout.

Des coffres a 10 000$ pour un gars qui fait de la mécanique automobile je comprendrai jamais. Un International fait la job en masse ou même un Mastercraft maximum.

Les outils a air c'est Ingersoll Rand.

Les pinces j'aime beaucoup les Blue point ( Snap on ) et les Irwin.

met en les IR pour a l'air mais dans le cordless soit milwaukee ou snap-on. pour le reste sa varie sauf que jai plus de CT sauf pour a la maison

jai un coffre snap-on au travail depuis 10 ans et je regrette de plus en plus d'avoir acheter sa etant plus jeune.
dans un avenir raprocher ca va etre sa
honda-1-e1355508584125.jpg

Back