Need a new bike.

wshockley

Banned
So some know I dropped a down payment on a panigale early last year, they told me i'd have to wait for the next year model to come out and offered to cancel since they didn't have any details. Meanwhile my situation changed and I don't want to spend that kind of money anymore.

I want a V-twin, preferably semi-sport. First bike was an SV650, got it for 3500 all in and it was pretty beat up, but I learned a lot about bike maintenance with it.

Power level was usually good enough but I'd like more roll-on power when at cruising speed so I don't have to worry so much about being in the correct gear.

Was thinking about a Monster 1100 but I don't think I can deal with no fairing. When it gets windy it's nice to have the option to lie on the tank and hide behind the bikini fairing/windshield!

That being said, 650 was more than adequate 90% of the time!

Wanted to bounce the idea off you guys, maybe I can get some suggestions?

Looking at:

- Used SV1000S, $5000-6500 depending on mileage.
2007-suzuki-sv1000s-1_600x0w.jpg

- NEW SV650, $5500 plus tax
Looks identical to SV1000, not interested in used examples because they're majorly overpriced.... 5000 for 30000km? no thanks.
But a clean low mileage SV650 for a good price would be fine too.

- Used TL1000S, $3000-3500 for a clean example, but these are often higher mileage (60K plus)
1998_TL1000S_black_520.jpg

- Used 1st gen SV650S - Only if I can find a low mileage example
This was my first bike and was satisfactory, shipped mine overseas to use when on vacation! Love the look personally.
2Fmb6WM.jpg

SV 1000 used or 650 new.
forget about the TL...they are great bike..but not the best with high milleage and the rear shock is problematic.
first gen SV: good but with the price of the new one, there's no reason to try to find a good one.
If you like v-tein and can look over the KTM too.

SV 1000 used or 650 new.
forget about the TL...they are great bike..but not the best with high milleage and the rear shock is problematic.
first gen SV: good but with the price of the new one, there's no reason to try to find a good one.
If you like v-tein and can look over the KTM too.

Hmm. Looks like all dealer prices on SV650s on lespac & kijiji do not include dealer prep. They charge $800 for it, so tax in would be $7200. Bonus is Suzuki is offering 36 month warranty.

Truth be told I'm more tempted for the 1000, wondering if the extra power is worth dealing with the typical issues of a 10 year old machine. Not that I mind doing the work myself, I just don't want a repeat of my original SV650 (weeks waiting for parts, etc)

Love that bike, but would rather avoid supersport plates. Price is very high too, they keep their value. thx for the suggestion though.

C'est certain que les criss de plaque SS font chier, mais j'me suis dit si tu voulais payer le $$$$ Pour une Pannigale + les plaques SS, c'est que ca te dérangeait pas t'en que ca,

en tk j'ai eu 2 amis qui on eu un RC51 et il en addoré leur bike, meme qu'ils pensent de s'en racheter un.
De plus ca garde un peu de valeur comparé au autre Japs.
Oui comme tout les bikes il a des qualités et des défauts, mais ca reste un bike mythique.

Sinon un 3 cyl Speed Triple ca te tenterais pas ? c'est nice et différent comme mécanique et la mélodie qui vient avec ca c'est fou.

Which panigale did you put a down payment on? 899 or 1199?

There's a world of difference between the SV650 and the panigale.

I went from a sv650 to a 848 evo and it's really fun. However, I don't know what kind of driving you do.

What are you interests? what type of riding do you do?

Which panigale did you put a down payment on? 899 or 1199?

There's a world of difference between the SV650 and the panigale.

I went from a sv650 to a 848 evo and it's really fun. However, I don't know what kind of driving you do.

What are you interests? what type of riding do you do?

There was no 899 at the time, I was going to go balls deep into the 1199.

I do city and highway. Do not intend to do track days.

I've been tempted by the 899 but the Canadian price is high, barely cheaper than the base 1199 so decided to get back to the semi-sport world for now.

Wish Suzuki still made the SV1000, it's exactly what I'm looking for. Looking at used ones, a lot of sketchy bikes out there. "Selling for a friend" etc

maybe look at a vfr? super reliable. different looks depending on the years.
you can get an early 2000s model for 3-4 or the 6th gen for 4-6

Back