So I got bad news today, our Pug is sick, only a few months at best to go.

lord_galathon

I might spoil your evening/morning whenever you read this so you might want to stop and change tabs.

Wednesday the Pug's going to be 11 in July. Best dog we've had, never barks, sweet sweet dog, likes everyone, runs at squirrels but that's about it. Loves to tag along with my wife and I for walks and car rides. Her biggest flaw has been that she tends to pace for no obvious reason, just walks around the house. Always did that since she was a puppy. No idea why.

Anyhow, she's been having trouble peeing since this winter, kept asking for the door, went outside and squats but little urine comes out or just a few drops. Eventually after a few minutes she pees a bit. Took her to the vet a month ago, vet ran an urine test, says probably an UTI gave antibiotics. No change. After the treatment vet wants to run more tests, takes a blood test and more urine sample, nothing new found. Vet then does x-rays (nothing found but the goofy Pug tail looks weird in x-ray vision) and an ultrasound and finds a tumor in her bladder. Inoperable.

Only thing we can do is give her medication to try and slow it down but vet gives her a few months at best.

10933726_10153582802974546_3926694277359406456_n.jpg

We're going to monitor her and pay close attention to how comfortable she is, when she starts showing signs of discomfort we will make sure to have her put to sleep but it's one of those times where you wonder if you'll ever want to have another dog.

10297689_10152907735229546_7039919411919428779_n.jpg

Right now other than the urine issue she seems to be doing fine, takes walks with us, eats properly, behaviour is normal. As I said we will monitor but it'll be a bittersweet spring into summer months.

:(

We've had plenty other dogs, in fact since we were married we've always had at least one. We've had two other Pugs, Shih-Tzu (never again) and a weird looking mutt but Wednesday the Pug has been the best of them all.

I think after she's gone, we'll take a break for a while...

Put her down, don't let her health deteriorate to the point where she will suffer just so you guys can have her around longer. I held my other dog in my arms till he was cold, letting him go was the toughest but right thing to do.

If you want to take a break from dogs, but still want something around, guinea pigs are fun and they greet you like a dog if you handle them a lot instead of just having it in a cage all day. Used to have 2 running around the house and they came to the door making a funny sound every time I was coming home. They also liked to just snuggle up to me while I was watching tv, did feel like having 2 mini dogs.

Takes a lot of discomfort for a dog to even show signs of it, by then she will have already been under duress for a while. We went through something similar with our 13 year old golden we put down almost 2 years ago, its not an easy decision for sure, you have my sympathy.

:balling: She's soo cute!!!! Don't let death stop you from loving, there are plenty of animals that could use a loving home, its just sad that our pets don't get to live as long as us. :tear:

Sorry to hear. Just don't let the poor thing suffer. The first hard month it has let it be the end of it. They hide the pain pretty well, so if it's noticeable then its pretty serious

Fuck man, mon pekinois s'en vien vieux aussi (a date pas de signes de faiblesse) mais esti que j'ai le motton en dedans quand je pense à ce qui s'en vien inévitablement. J'ai 24 ans, il en a 10... Pour dire qu'il est à mes côtés depuis une très grande partie de ma vie. Bref je sympathise bcp avec toi, lâche pas et écoute surtout pas ceux qui te dise que c'est juste un chien, fuck ce monde la, ils savent pas ce qu'ils manque!

a2011ddab4a80c9535028a61b801b23d.jpg

c77b7f8eba0c19fbbc943a804494a4ce.jpg

been there last month... had to say goodbye to my old boy. I can totally understand how you feel.

When we went to see the vet with him, it was a matter of days so we brought him home and spent a last night with him. He was suffering so we didn't wait more.

Gave him filet mignon for supper, cuddled alot and brought him to the vet in the morning.

Hardest decision ever for us!

Be strong, spoil her and enjoy every little moments left. Time will pass and you'll probably want another one after when you realise how empty a house can be when you are used to have a dog.

on a du faire endormir le chien de mon enfance y'a 3 ans, il avait 17 ans le p'tit mongole. Un lhassa apso de 17 ans. Je l'ai eu quand j'avais 10 ans. Il a eu une bonne run , à la fin il faisait de l'arthrite , on le faisait shooter à la cortisone pendant 1 ans (à la fin c'était une fois par semaine et ça fonctionnait plus) . Lui pis moi on s'est craqué une petite soirée fondue pour finir ça , 1 lbs de poulet dans la fondue pour lui et en déssert un paquet de bacon au micro ondes. Le lendemain matin j'suis allé le faire endormir. Il est parti en king.

Désolé pour toi LG. Avant que j'aille un chien, j'avais jamais réalisé à quel point ces bêtes nous apporte énormément. Maintenant je vois plus ma vie sans un chien, juste quand ma blonde part avec durant une journée, je trouve ça tellement vide!

OK. Thanks everyone, she's really not in pain or anything. At least it doesn't show. Vet says a few good months left, we'll see. It'll be a hard day when it comes but we will definitely spoil her until then...

About the guinea pig (CRANKY) they're awful cute. We've had some in the past but they're a PITA to clean so we've given up on that. We actually have two cages to give away, PM me if interested.

heheh will see what happens when this dog goes, he is old (aprox 10-13). She said no more dogs, but she said that the last time and two weeks after we put our other dog down, we adopted one from the SPCA, house was way too empty without a dog.

J'ai du faire euthaniser mon chat de 7 ans en janvier dernier il n'etait rendu que la peau et les os
ce fut un coup dur a donner

Quick update, after a month's treatment she got slightly better. No longer asks for the door 32983752 times a day and in the night. She still takes time to pee though. So far so good. Maybe it's a benign tumor.

Back