Iceland, not for the faint of heart

Dubweiser

It's been two months since I returned for Iceland, and it still feels like a dream. It was truly one of the most formidable experiences of my life, however it comes with a warning, think twice before going in the winter. The weather there, is just fucking batshit insane. Every two or three days, we were absolutely POUNDED by storms, 100-160kmh winds, snow, ice. -2 doesn't sound bad, but when it's cold, humid North Atlantic air, pounding your face with snow at 100kmh, -15 in Montreal feels like summer.

Just a sample of how intense the weather can get, one day, we just wanted to go from the capital city to Keflavik and the Reyjkanes peninsuala. These are the most travelled and well maintained rounds in the country, by far. That was the only day I didn't check the weather before leaving, because it's such a high traffic area. Well, we got caught in a shitstorm weather, the wind was blowing so hard, the highway was icy, that I decided to pull off, I felt that any gust slightly more powerful would simply blow us off the road. I pulled off the highway, parked in a bus stop about 50 meters away from the highway, somewhat sheltered from the wind, and we stayed there for 4 hours, getting POUNDED by wind, snow and sleet. After the whiteout ended, just in our fields of vision, there were dozens of trucks and buses blown off the road on the highway. We drove back onto the highway (they had closed off access to it in Reyjkavik and Keflavik for hours by now), so we were alone on the road, except for hundreds of vehicles that were blown off the road every few meters. Search and rescue vehicles had passes hours ago to pick up the passengers, so it was like driving through an apocalypse. I had made the right decision by pulling over, and I gained massive respect for the weather over there. Even hundreds of locals got caught by suprise in that storm.

Weather aside, it was one of the most wonderful places I've ever been to. Outside of the capital area, the population was so sparse, that you could drive for an hour, and not pass a single farm, person, restaurant, just NOTHING. And when you did meet someone, they were so nice, polite, and willing to help you in any way they could. I've never met a culture so willing to go above and beyond for another person like Icelanders. I guess when you live in a place where the weather is this hostile, you have no choice but to have a helping spirit.

Here's a few pics:

Thermal water near blue lagoon:

Some central plains. The wind was battering us, further down there intense whiteouts. If you don't have a good 4x4, you don't venture out here in the winter

A little further down the road

One minute later, visibility almost none, you have to follow the yellow markers. Winds were about 100kmh, and the road was a skating rink.

Mid-atlantic ridge, the European and American continents splitting apart right here

In the middle of fucking nowhere.

Last edited:
Fjords getting battered by wind

DSC_1842_zpsrsbqggjy.jpg~original

DSC_1845_zps6x6xkpki.jpg~original

Deserted fjords roads. As usual, covered in ice.
DSC_1875_zpsdjxalzkf.jpg~original

Heading down a mountain pass, towards Vik
DSC_1906_zpsjpg271kb.jpg~original

US Navy DC3 that crashed landed on a black sand beach 40 years ago
DSC_1990_zpsoz886c14.jpg~original

This is valley at the base of Eyjafjallajokull volcano, that erupted in 2010 and shut down European airspace.

DSC_1918_zpscmue7zgi.jpg~original

Nestled in the valley is an abandonned century old pool, that is still naturally heated and cleaned by hot water trickling down the side of the volcano. To get there you have to drive to a village of about a dozen people, park your car in a farmers field. Then you follow the river into the valley for about 30-40. There's no signs, or directions. We hiked out here and went for a swim, in the middle of winter and the water was still warm. Swimming here, in the winter, with nobody around for miles and miles, was just epic.

DSC_1955_zpsihkcrfma.jpg~original

Last edited:
After checking the weather and road conditions (like you should before leaving, AND during your trip) we set out for a six hour drive from Reykjavik to Akureyri

Closed road, thankfully not ours
DSC_2015_zps0rajlxoh.jpg~original

DSC_2086_zpsgjkoswwd.jpg~original

DSC_2097_zpsmz3noeth.jpg~original

Absolutely tore up these dry roads while we could in our SUV. One about 30-45 minutes of the drive was dry roads, the rest was sheet ice, as usual.
DSC_2104_zps0b94fpqf.jpg~original

Common sight, trucks, cars and buses blown over by wind
DSC_2085_zpsapcv1sn7.jpg~original
[/URL]

Views going through mountain passes

DSC_2102_zpsb3cxqzqq.jpg~original

DSC_2116_zpsoa8qujvs.jpg~original

DSC_2118_zpsrahggull.jpg~original

Seven hours later, Akureyri
DSC_2130_zps4hfmrxyb.jpg~original

Heading towards yet another pass, going from Akureyri to Myvatn

DSC_2139_zpscjyhubqv.jpg~original

Thermal waters in Myvatn

DSC_2195_zpsytz4rumz.jpg~original

DSC_2197_zpsnr8ty3tn.jpg~original

Typical Icelandic trucks

DSC_2199_zpszcx3apfn.jpg~original

Back in Vik

DSC00051_zps6gs0lns8.jpg~original

my friend went in the summer and the locals told him the only thing they do in the winter is drink because there is nothing else and the days are so short.

very raw and beautiful country!!!

Very nice. Thanks for sharing! Why would you go there? Epic none the less.

I wanted to go somewhere different.

I also really liked Scotland, Ireland, and Scandinavia, so I figured Iceland would be nice.

Everyone thought I was crazy to go there in march. They were right, it turned out to be a hell of an adventure, in a good way*tu*

my friend went in the summer and the locals told him the only thing they do in the winter is drink because there is nothing else and the days are so short.

very raw and beautiful country!!!

Isn't it the same up north in Québec too?!

I'll go in Iceland some day but maybe only in my 40s or 50s, no rush. My mom is going there saturday, she told me everything is really expensive too.

Absolutely stunning, recently iv been very interested in visiting Iceland. Its absolutely beautiful. I would not go in the winter however lol.

Im surprised Subbies arent the official vehicle of Iceland lol. Youd figured they own WRXs and stuff.

Amazing pics! Iceland is definitely fairly high on my travel bucket list.

How did the Rexton do?

Amazing pics! Iceland is definitely fairly high on my travel bucket list.

How did the Rexton do?

It was good. Really, really good.

I had rented a ''Land Cruiser or similar'', I ended up with this. At first I was dissapointed, but once I made peace with the fact that I was driving a SSansgyong, it was actually nice to drive. Very comfortable, the 2.0L turbo diesel had loads of torque and I averaged 9L-100km on my trip, which is spectacular for such a big SUV. It was well kitted out for off-roading, locking diff, low range gears, hill descent. Very cool. I'd buy one as a DD if you can get one here:bigup:

It looks good too, designed by Giorgetto Guigaro, and based on the Mercedes ML.

DSC_1877_zpsh94qcby7.jpg~original

Back