Article: One-Owner, Original-Paint, Barn-Find 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona

DannyITR

Administrator
Staff member
1969-dodge-charger-daytona-with-owner.jpg

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1505-one-owner-original-paint-barn-find-daytona/

What a great read. Love this stuff. The car is probably worth $300K-$400K. Maybe even more than that.

The passing years turned into a decade, and then two before Smith got serious about resurrecting the Daytona. “I’d been trying to get the car back on the road for some time, but I couldn’t find anybody who I felt comfortable doing it,” he says. He found a lead in an unlikely place: Richard Jensen, a carpenter who the Smiths hired to do odd jobs around the property.

“I talked to Dick one time about finding anyone who was sincere. He gave me Marshall’s number,” Woolery explains. “We went back and forth for a few months before he could take a peek at it. I get people calling all the time to come out and look at some car they want me to work on, and usually it’s not even what they think it is.” Just out of respect to the friend who so highly recommended him, Woolery agreed to stop by when he got a chance. “One day I just happened to be going out that direction, so I called to see if I could take a look. My intentions were to see what he had and give him some advice where he should take it.”

Naturally, he changed his tune once the door opened. “I had the conversation with him about whether he knew what the car was,” Woolery continues. “Then I told him to get it insured for more than he thought it was worth. Way more.”

Though Smith brought him in with the potential of a restoration of sorts, Woolery shut the idea down. “He didn’t understand just how expensive it is to restore a car, much less do it right these days,” he says. “And even if you did it right, when all’s said and done, it’d be over-done and worth less than it is right now. You can’t reproduce history.

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/features/1505-one-owner-original-paint-barn-find-daytona/#ixzz3amLmKWjw
Follow us: @HotRodMagazine on Twitter | HotRodMag on Facebook

Never figured why until now why there would be so many barn finds : soldiers never making it back. That explains alot.

I really like that they're looking ( in the USA at least, following that read ) into making classic cars national heritage, pretty much like buildings. Very cool.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand that Daytona's one hell of a car.

Its only original once.

You got the choice:
1- Leave it as-is, making it a ''survivor'' with a cool story.
or-
2- Full 100 point restoration and sold at Barrett to a private collector and never se it again.

I like choice one. Patina, story and the fact the car is a survivor.
Would only make it safe to drive and left everything as-is.

Criss d'ailerons de ti coune

Commentaire de ti coune

Cette aileron la est tout sauf inutile, il a été designer par les ingénieurs de la division missile de chez chrysler. Il a été le premier "stock bodied" à rouler 200mph et détient une vingtaine de record. La raison pour laquelle il est si haut c'est pour qu'il soit au dessus de le zone de turbulence. C'est pas pour rien que les wing car on été banni, les versions de rue ont été construite a seulement 503 exemplaires pour homologuer les versions nascar.

That big, “dumb” wing is described in the paper: “The horizontal stabilizer is an aerodynamic surface of 3 sq ft in area with a geometric aspect ratio of 7.75. The cross-sectional shape is an inverted Clark Y airfoil which is a highly efficient negative force generator within the 12 deg adjustment range provided.”

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/the-superbird-wing-was-not-idiotically-ineffective-or-1704941408

1257506028976278420.jpg

1257506028588999828.jpg

1257506028719131540.jpg

Really awesome story, thanks for posting!

AFortin, everyone thought you were trolling, including myself. :p

Faut dire que plusieurs d'entre nous lache leurs fou sur MR. j'ai fais de même, par la suite des fois je me relis et je me dit hey boy you just look so stupid right here! Mais c'est la vie, mieu vaut en rire!

A premiere vue voir un ailerons de Boats sur un char ca fait bizarre quand t'en a jamais vue! Je suis pas de la vielle époque! Mais thx de l'info

le film Cars ... c'est de ton epoque ha ha

un gars de mon club d'Avenger / Sebring , sa famille possede un Daytona ET un Superbird ! le Daytona est un hemi le Superbird un 440

Bonne info american muscle,aussi cette aileron avait une poussé de downforce de 500lbs en haute vitesse.
Autre pourquoi de la hauteur..banale peut-etre mais c'était aussi juste pour clairer l'ouverture du couvert de la valise complètement.

Bonne info american muscle,aussi cette aileron avait une poussé de downforce de 500lbs en haute vitesse.
Autre pourquoi de la hauteur..banale peut-etre mais c'était aussi juste pour clairer l'ouverture du couvert de la valise complètement.

j'ai deja lu ca ailleur mais c'est peut etre une legende urbaine aussi :)

Commentaire de ti coune

Cette aileron la est tout sauf inutile, il a été designer par les ingénieurs de la division missile de chez chrysler. Il a été le premier "stock bodied" à rouler 200mph et détient une vingtaine de record. La raison pour laquelle il est si haut c'est pour qu'il soit au dessus de le zone de turbulence. C'est pas pour rien que les wing car on été banni, les versions de rue ont été construite a seulement 503 exemplaires pour homologuer les versions nascar.

Commentaire de ti coune

L'aileron est haut comme ca pour pouvoir ouvrir la valise... :D

J'ai regardé tout ou presque reportage /emmissions sur les "muscle cars "(sujet que j'm bien) ,et aileron vs valise est un point qui est venue sur le sujet.
Mythe ou pas...faite des recherches pour le fun!

Back