Lightweight Camping Trailer I designed

Looks ace, the renders could use some work though, but they are clear and informative, so its more of a nitpick then anything else :).

<-- 3d artist.

Nice project and technical refinement (better than on my final project and pretty much every designer from udem). But what's up with those ugly colors? The wheels don't fit the simple/retro styling either. Solving technical issues is super important but having a good eye for the curves and color and trim and understanding the user's needs (which doesn't seem to be an issue here) are even more important if you want to launch a product or grow in a company.

I'm working on some transport projects too, I'll try to feed MR with my progress by the end of the summer.

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdQK5wq4T_E

ca serait pas pire pour faire le toit de la tente
beaucoup de power

I definitely looked at flexible solar cells, however my professors advised me to look into more durable / sustainable options. I really like the idea however, and like I said, I ran out of time and could have spend more time developing the tent system.. the tent was pretty last minute to be honest, I would absolutely revisit the design to improve. Solar power is becoming much more efficient with every year. I would have to look at how the tent would be folded up if I were to cover the tent with flexible cells. thx for feedback!

This is genius! I would add an additional storage box that you could lock above the axle on the trailer or make something so that extra luggage can be easily secured. This would be beneficial for the smaller cars & motorcycles.

Make the handle hole something standard that would be use with or without tools in case it gets lost (for raising lowering the roof).

Thats a great idea actually. thank you for your feedback!

beaucoup de potentiel a mon avis, mais...ca l'air asser complexe a fabriquer. $$$$

si tu trouve un moyen de production a cout acceptable pour etre capable de le vendre a prix profitable.

je vois beaucoup d'effort et de travail de conception. j'admire beaucoup les personnes comme toi.

I designed the trailer to minimize dies and molds, which are the most expensive parts in manufacturing. The aluminum extruded corner posts at each end, thats one die for all 4. There are 5 extrusion dies, which are actually very economical. The frame is all standard aluminum tubing, welded.. the honeycomb panels are just bolted to the extruded posts.. then there are 2 big molds for the roof and fender, rotational molding. Again, much cheaper then injection molding dies bang to buck. I think the dies / molds would cost about $100,000 give or take? All this could be done in Quebec. I would have to really look into it though.

Concept est nice mais y'a déja des produits tres polyvalent a 700-800lbs

Le probleme que je vois est ca implique pas mal de montage/démontage. Pour un produit a vocation tres nomade, ca peut etre une problématique.

There are trailers in the ~800 lbs range, not many provide you with the freedom of my camper, with a fully functional kitchen, toilet, shower, etc.. I would have liked to drop my weight a little bit though. Like I said, my goal ~500 lbs, its tough though. I'd really have to get into the engineering to keep dropping weight.

I absolutely agree with you on set up / take down. The stabilizer jacks are something I again kind of ran out of time with.. I wanted to design them to be quicker for installation. I would definitely revisit that aspect. I was also flirting with the idea of getting rid of the tent poles completely, and having the tent erect with an inflatable structure. Because I have a battery and 12V power, plug a 12V inflator pump to fill up the "structure" to get rid of tent poles.. but the stabilizer jacks are something I'd definitely revisit. thx for feedback!

Looks ace, the renders could use some work though, but they are clear and informative, so its more of a nitpick then anything else :).

<-- 3d artist.

Hey thanks for the feedback! I know what you're saying, I compressed the images from pdf to jpg to reduce my portfolio size. Are you talking about the first image? The whole presentation is like 350mb, I reduced it down to about 25 so I could email it out to potential employers. Dont worry the print version was much better resolution :)

Some of the renders are done in Keyshot, some are done in Solidworks Photoview. I'm not happy with the way my fabric looks.. man Its tough to get fabric looking photo-realistic. I need to get better with photoshop, definitely.

Last edited:
I was also flirting with the idea of getting rid of the tent poles completely, and having the tent erect with an inflatable structure. Because I have a battery and 12V power, plug a 12V inflator pump to fill up the "structure" to get rid of tent poles.. but the stabilizer jacks are something I'd definitely revisit. thx for feedback!

That would mess with the "substainability" aspect imo. A puncture, electrical problem or battery outage and your tent is "off the grid". Posts are a simple, lightweight & tried method.

VERY good job!

Nice project and technical refinement (better than on my final project and pretty much every designer from udem). But what's up with those ugly colors? The wheels don't fit the simple/retro styling either. Solving technical issues is super important but having a good eye for the curves and color and trim and understanding the user's needs (which doesn't seem to be an issue here) are even more important if you want to launch a product or grow in a company.

I'm working on some transport projects too, I'll try to feed MR with my progress by the end of the summer.

Thx for feeback broody. I actually won the prize for Best Technical Development, and all my professors have told me this might be the most ready-for-market project they've seen in 15 years.

As for the color, the theme of our vernissage was "Design for a Sustainable Society". All our projects dealt with sustainable living, so I wanted to incorporate that into my project by using green as my primary color. As for the purple, its my favorite color, and green and purple are complimentary colors. I'm actually very interested in color and try to use as much color in my designs as I can for semantics. I didn't want to paint the whole trailer, as paint is not sustainable at all, I chose for clear coated aluminum to celebrate my material choices.. but I happen to really like the colors, and I will always use flashy colors in my designs.. nothing you or anyone can tell me to change that. I wear colorful clothing, I like colorful flashy designs. I felt those colors represented nature well.

As for the wheels, again I didn't design them. I found 14" wheels on grabcad, and was happy enough with their design to use them for rendering.. as so much tire is visible from the rear, I needed a proper CAD of wheel / tire combo. If I had the time I would have definitely designed my own wheels, again.. time constraints.

That would mess with the "substainability" aspect imo. A puncture, electrical problem or battery outage and your tent is "off the grid". Posts are a simple, lightweight & tried method.

VERY good job!

Thats why my professors shot the idea down haha. thank you for feedback! Much appreciated.

Hey thanks for the feedback! I know what you're saying, I compressed the images from pdf to jpg to reduce my portfolio size. Are you talking about the first image? The whole presentation is like 350mb, I reduced it down to about 25 so I could email it out to potential employers. Dont worry the print version was much better resolution :)

Some of the renders are done in Keyshot, some are done in Solidworks Photoview. I'm not happy with the way my fabric looks.. man Its tough to get fabric looking photo-realistic. I need to get better with photoshop, definitely.

If you get beyond this initial feeling out phase, you definitively need to invest in some wicked renders, for the schematics not so much, but for the initial "wow its real" impression pics you need to hit them hard with some advanced renders, look into vray for example.

This is one of my models, i literally took 30 minutes to setup a quick scene and did a super fast cheap\rough render.

bentley_test.jpg

Beau projet!
Je vois un problème sur les dessins avec la bouteille de propane qui est sur le côté. Elle doit absolument être entreposée,transportée et utilisée debout (à la verticale). Si non, c'est la phase liquide et non la phase gazeuse qui va sortir la la valve principale ou la safety valve, s'il y a surpression.

L'autre affaire c'est qu'elle est à l'intérieur, dans un endroit non ventilé, ce qui représente un danger d'explosion s'il y a une fuite ou que la safety valve ouvre. C'est assez fréquent lorsque la bouteille est pleine et qu'elle réchauffe, quand le véhicule est stationné au soleil, par exemple. Tu dois trouver un moyen de la fixer à l'extérieur et non dans un endroit compartimenté, non ventilé.

Tu dois corriger ça car c'est certain que tu va te le faire demander plus tard...
Hope this help!

If you get beyond this initial feeling out phase, you definitively need to invest in some wicked renders, for the schematics not so much, but for the initial "wow its real" impression pics you need to hit them hard with some advanced renders, look into vray for example.

This is one of my models, i literally took 30 minutes to setup a quick scene and did a super fast cheap\rough render.

http://s8.postimg.org/qh58w5ycl/bentley_test.jpg

Wow yeah the scene reflections that looks amazing. I'll be sure to contact you if I need some high quality renders! Keyshot can put out really nice renders, especially transparent products but I will def look into vray. Expensive as hell I imagine?

Beau projet!
Je vois un problème sur les dessins avec la bouteille de propane qui est sur le côté. Elle doit absolument être entreposée,transportée et utilisée debout (à la verticale). Si non, c'est la phase liquide et non la phase gazeuse qui va sortir la la valve principale ou la safety valve, s'il y a surpression.

L'autre affaire c'est qu'elle est à l'intérieur, dans un endroit non ventilé, ce qui représente un danger d'explosion s'il y a une fuite ou que la safety valve ouvre. C'est assez fréquent lorsque la bouteille est pleine et qu'elle réchauffe, quand le véhicule est stationné au soleil, par exemple. Tu dois trouver un moyen de la fixer à l'extérieur et non dans un endroit compartimenté, non ventilé.

Tu dois corriger ça car c'est certain que tu va te le faire demander plus tard...
Hope this help!

Oh damn, didn't know it have to be standing up. thanks! Are you sure it has to be ventilated? Most campers have storage containers for batteries / propane with lids that are pretty closed off, normally located on the fork. I wasn't happy with the way the trailer would look with one of those containers, but safety comes first.

Wow yeah the scene reflections that looks amazing. I'll be sure to contact you if I need some high quality renders! Keyshot can put out really nice renders, especially transparent products but I will def look into vray. Expensive as hell I imagine?

yes it is very expensive

Back