Mitsubishi apologizes to WWII Japanese prisoners of war

SimZx3KGT

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/19/asia/mitsubishi-japan-pow-apology/index.html

Tokyo (CNN)As Japan prepares to mark the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II, one of its largest corporations has given a long-awaited apology for wartime atrocities.

At a ceremony in Los Angeles on Sunday, a representative for Mitsubishi Materials Corporation apologized for using captured American soldiers as slave laborers.

Mitsubishi Materials is the first private corporation to express such remorse, although the Japanese government has made repeated apologies.

The solemn act of contrition comes far too late for most victims. Mitsubishi says it was only able to locate two living survivors. But former prisoner of war James Murphy warmly accepted the apology, which comes just weeks before the August 15th anniversary of Japan's 1945 surrender.

Forced labor added to Japan's arsenal

Murphy, a 94-year-old American, was in his early 20s when he became a Japanese prisoner of war during World War II. He said he was "elated" by the apology, which he had waited to hear in the seven decades since he was freed.

Murphy says he survived horrific conditions as a forced laborer for Mitsubishi Materials' predecessor Mitsubishi Mining Co., which supplied materials used to manufacture, among other things, Mitsubishi's feared Zero fighter aircraft used by the Japanese Navy from 1940 to 1945.

140828151558-17-world-war-ii-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Better late than never I guess. I wonder if Chrysler ever apologised to japan for manufacturing the atomic bomb as well as the engines in the B-29 that dropped the bomb.

"Yea, I know its been a while... but sorry for nuking you guys."

Getting an apology from someone who had nothing to do with whatever happenned back then doesnt change shit IMO.

Better late than never I guess. I wonder if Chrysler ever apologised to japan for manufacturing the atomic bomb as well as the engines in the B-29 that dropped the bomb.

"Yea, I know its been a while... but sorry for nuking you guys."

Chrysler did what now? Built the atomic bomb? Bitch please. The Manhattan Project was one of the largest science program humanity has ever seen. There were hundreds of companies and a solid half dozen countries involved.

Besides, the engines on that B-29 were Wrights, built under licence by various automakers.

Chrysler did what now? Built the atomic bomb? Bitch please. The Manhattan Project was one of the largest science program humanity has ever seen. There were hundreds of companies and a solid half dozen countries involved.

Besides, the engines on that B-29 were Wrights, built under licence by various automakers.

787fa060dceddf04afd54f84abceecf22087de8a395e09bab5910cd5ae4ba9fa.jpg

Yes many companies took part in the Manhattan project but my point was that Mitsubishi taking 70 years to apologies is just like "why now"? Makes you wonder how long they were thinking about it and what stopped them from saying sorry. The possibility that them taking responsibility for war crimes would affect their sales in the us? Just saying..

I don't see the issue with slavery during war. I mean, I'd rather be forced to work for a few years (illegal) than die of atomic bomb or radiations afterwards (semi legal during war)

I don't see the issue with slavery during war. I mean, I'd rather be forced to work for a few years (illegal) than die of atomic bomb or radiations afterwards (semi legal during war)

You need to read up on the Japanese's treatment of POWs. An apology was indeed long overdue.

As far as working, I think even Canada had the German POW working, but in a much more humane fashion.

Slavery, in japan's case, is not a misnomer at all...

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/78/787fa060dceddf04afd54f84abceecf22087de8a395e09bab5910cd5ae4ba9fa.jpg

Yes many companies took part in the Manhattan project but my point was that Mitsubishi taking 70 years to apologies is just like "why now"? Makes you wonder how long they were thinking about it and what stopped them from saying sorry. The possibility that them taking responsibility for war crimes would affect their sales in the us? Just saying..

And if that is what you meant, then why the hell did you not write that in the first place? The message is about the same length...

I guess at the Belle Pro you order by asking "I want the pink slime with the shredded death made from tortured animals" rather then simply asking for a burger?

Parlez en donc au détenu de Guantanamo pour le fun ! Comme si les Américains allaient faire des excuses à quelqu’un !

Des mauvais traitements, des exécutions sommaires et de la tortures il en as eu des 2 cotés ! Mais oublier jamais une chose, l'histoire est écrite pas les vainqueurs !

Celui qui perd es par défaut le pire des salaud !

Back