Aftermarket engine immobilizer installed in Montreal

eucalyptuz1

Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me with this one...

I bought a new 2007 Toyota Matrix in Montreal and was pressured by the insurance company to have security inscribing AND an aftermarket immobilizer installed. This work was completed at a local Canadian Tire. Well, fast forward 8 years, and I've lost a set of keys - all of which are replaceable except the "immobilizer" fob. I've decided to just pull out the immobilizer but can't find it. In fact, a mechanic spent 30 mins looking for it and couldn't find it. The brand is Datacom Mobiguard and the invoice lists another name Moblius.

I have looked at the stater relay but it seems to be an original Toyota part and no other relays stand out as "aftermarket".

Has anybody had experience with this and can tell me where to look? TIA :)

Ok well thanks Revolux. Je peut essaisais on Francais mais c'est pa bonne ;) Je suis and Austrailenne qui parle just une peu on Fraincais.

I would just like a little help. If you are not able that's OK.

Ok, I can post some pictures of the relay panel if that will help but I'm not sure a picture of me will help ;)

I was just thinking that thousands of car owners insured by Desjardins et al in Montreal would have been forced to take a similar path and now that the company "Datacom" is out of business I don't know how to find out how to get this this removed...or even where it is!!

I have the car's title, my original invoice from Mobilus (does not exist now), the letter from Desjardins...I'm not a car thief because if I was I couldn't start the f'n car because of the f'n immobilizer. If you can't help don't. The same Canadian Tire that installed the damn thing can't help either.

Just looking for a little insight as there must be someone in the same boat...

Last edited:
Your car has a factory installed immobilizer already (since 05) Maybe you should mention that to your insurance co.

My dad had to get one for his 03 corolla. When it got stolen (because every crook and mechanic knows to play with the wiper/mirror etc) he got an 05 matrix. That car has the chip in the key and that was good enough for desjardins.

Your car has a factory installed immobilizer already (since 05) Maybe you should mention that to your insurance co.

I've realized this after my recent research :( I feel pretty foolish as we've obviously been scammed to have it installed in the first place. Since this time we've moved down to Florida and I'd like to take it out as we have just one fob left which works most of the time. I can't find a new fob to buy.

I saw a thread on here from a Mazda owner with the same problem and in her case it was the stater relay which had been replaced. I checked that on my car and the starter relay is an original Toyota part so it must be something else...

Thanks...

The Datacom Mobiguard is a real piece of shit. Had it on my car that I bought at a dealership. Fast forward a couple of months later, the fob breaks. Thankfully, I had a second set of keys that came with a remote starter so I could still drive the car.

If you want to take it off, I heard in a previous topic, you have to look for a relay going from the fuse box to the starter. It could be anywhere under the hood, though....

Last edited:
Check behind the glove box, center console around the radio. Is there a valet switch, follow the line to the box...

Thanks to all that have made suggestions...I have tried to look in all the places suggested, it's just that nothing stands out as "aftermarket" and surely there shouldn't be a big mass of wires going in and out? All relays I can see seem to be original. The one other clue I can find is on the installation invoice: As the "position d'installation" it indicates "(E)" out of the choices (E), (F) or (I)...whether that means engine, exterior, etc, well, I've no clue.

I mean after what I've read on the internet during the last few days about Mobiguard it's really amazing that that the thing still works after 8 years!

I am going to take some pictures and post in the hopes that someone with knowledge of a 2007 Matrix will see something odd.

Thanks, merci!

Check under the fuse box in the engine compartment. Else it is just a wireless relay looking original... I know because I removed a lot of these and some are so well installed it looks OEM !

Thank you Davepf, I just checked under the relay panel in the engine compartment and there is nothing other than thick bundles of wire, no components or splitting out of the ordinary.

I had another look under the steering column and got all excited when I saw a small black box with "immobilizer" written on it but after a search on the internet it seems to be the one that comes fitted with the car, again confirming that the Desjardins thing was a real scam.

I just wish there was a photo of the component I'm looking for... with so many people unhappy with Datacom/Mobiguard, you'd think that I'd find some images of the culprits...

You need to follow the relay starter wire. You'll need the electric schematic of the starting circuit, then start with the ignition barrel and follow the route to your starter. Beep each junction while the key is in the start position, so you know there's 12v comming from the switch. At the junction with no voltage, you know the immobiliser is in between this point and the previous junction.That way it will narrow your search quite a lot !

Back