Lance Stroll: Williams F1 Development driver

Guylaine Gagnon et le sport automobile.

Facile, ma mettre ca plus simple.

1- Excélent pilote avec 0$ de financement = Va aller nul part
2- Pilote médiocre/bon/excélent avec des milliers de $$$ = Va aller bien plus loin que le 1e choix ...

so,

boys clubs,,,

Andrew Ranger est tu allé loin ? non ... pas d'argent $$$

Quand ta vie à toujours été axé sur la course automobile depuis que ta 3 ans et que tu as toujour eu les meilleurs profs et le meilleurs équipements j'hose espéré que tu va performé !

2- Pilote médiocre/bon/excélent avec des milliers de $$$ = Va aller bien plus loin que le 1e choix ...

so,

boys clubs,,,

Quand ta vie à toujours été axé sur la course automobile depuis que ta 3 ans et que tu as toujour eu les meilleurs profs et le meilleurs équipements j'hose espéré que tu va performé !

Lewis hamilton

so,

boys clubs,,,

The general cost from karts to F1 is 7-10 million.

It's not hidden that if you bring money to the team or sponsorship then you'll get a seat. It's been going on for years , yes there are exceptions but for the most part that's how it works.

I forget which driver in F1(might have been McLaren) was but he was invited to an F1 test. Ron Dennis pulled out the price list and said "well 1 day is 250000£" or something along those lines.

Ranger got caught out in the end of ChampCar and all the IndyCar seats got filled. It's a tough gig, I believe it's even tougher than getting into the NHL as seats in top levels are few/far between

A really good friend of mine raced F1600. She basically said that if you arent in it 100% and have great financial backing you won't break out to higher levels. As a hobby you can manage working on the car at night but if you plan to progress you need top equipment. She decided to go to med school and will be finished in a few years. Smarter choice IMO

The general cost from karts to F1 is 7-10 million.

It's not hidden that if you bring money to the team or sponsorship then you'll get a seat. It's been going on for years , yes there are exceptions but for the most part that's how it works.

I forget which driver in F1(might have been McLaren) was but he was invited to an F1 test. Ron Dennis pulled out the price list and said "well 1 day is 250000£" or something along those lines.

Ranger got caught out in the end of ChampCar and all the IndyCar seats got filled. It's a tough gig, I believe it's even tougher than getting into the NHL as seats in top levels are few/far between

A really good friend of mine raced F1600. She basically said that if you arent in it 100% and have great financial backing you won't break out to higher levels. As a hobby you can manage working on the car at night but if you plan to progress you need top equipment. She decided to go to med school and will be finished in a few years. Smarter choice IMO

True, coming from a racing background (granted on the other side, engineering not driving) you're much better going to school honestly. We've got a driver in our team, he's close to 30, never made it into F1, but he's very good. After spending money all these years, he gets paid £1500/weekend (3000$) to share a car in endurance with 2 young up and coming kids (who pay). Even with 20 race weekends a year, you'll never earn enough money to be able to pay back your ''investment'' into racing after all these years...

True, coming from a racing background (granted on the other side, engineering not driving) you're much better going to school honestly. We've got a driver in our team, he's close to 30, never made it into F1, but he's very good. After spending money all these years, he gets paid £1500/weekend (3000$) to share a car in endurance with 2 young up and coming kids (who pay). Even with 20 race weekends a year, you'll never earn enough money to be able to pay back your ''investment'' into racing after all these years...

On the other hand.. I think overall when you are watching high level racing , even F1 , you are not really watching the best drivers in the world , you are watching the best drivers that were born into money or happened to be at the right place at the right time such as Lewis Hamilton. Most F1 drivers cut cheques to other lower tier drivers, Alonso is one of them. There is always the exception of course but I am sure there are thousands of super talented drivers that just couldn't afford to go further because they did not have cheques behind them. Bemoaning the fact that wealth has at least partially displaced talent in Motorsports and especially Formula 1 doesn't make you a dick.

However why should I support some billionaire's kid just because he was born in the same country as me? I'll consider it if and when he proves himself but I certainly won't hate on the kid for being born into money and having a father who was willing to support his son. I have zero issues with that. Then again, we're living in a country where having a famous father and not much else can make you Prime Minister. Perhaps I'm just out of touch...

^^ first part is exactly what neon was saying but on much more politically correct terms...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'd also like to bring up the issue of getting an FIA SuperLicense...
Requirements:
Be 18 years of age at the start of their first Grand Prix weekend,
Hold a valid driving license,
Pass a test on the International Sporting Code and F1 Sporting Regulations
Complete at least 2 full seasons in junior racing series, &
Accrue 40 points over 3 seasons of racing in other motorsport series.

The new 2016 FIA requirements actually favor a GP 2 Champion (50 points alone for winning the series) and the future new F2 championship (60 points). There is a new 'minimum' age of 18 now - people are calling this the MAXV rule, (Max Verstappen)

Here's the issue: I believe he only has 12 points in total over the last three seasons now and even winning F3 next year only adds 10 points minus dropping the 2014 single point. So after 2016 he would still only have 21 points as (prospective) 2016 F3 champion - well short of the 40 required. What he should be doing is going to Japan (20 points) or the 3.5L or GP3 series, (30 points). Signing and paying money to Williams seems to be a dead end with the new license rules. Even 2nd and 3rd places in the higher series gain more points than winning a national F3 series.

His Williams deal is a PAY position - even to sit in the Sim costs big bucks.

So 2016 is the year to prove people wrong and even with money he still has to be successful in the lower classes but he won't be in F1 before the 2018 season at the earliest unless he jumps up a racing class and does well.

qzql3s.png

Back