Buying a car in europe for a eurotrip

I've been toying with this idea for a couple of weeks now and we might do a family eurotrip this summer for 2-3 months.

I quickly checked rental car prices and it's way too expensive (especially given it would need to be an automatic wagon/MPV) so I'm wondering if anyone has done this here: fly to Germany (or other EU country), buy a car, drive it around and resell it before leaving? If yes, how does it work given I am not an EU resident (I do have an EU passport though).

Europe offers "achat-rachat" programs (this is the renault one): https://www.renaultcanada.com/achat-rachat-renault/achat-rachat-auto.aspx

similar to renting a car, you essentially buy a car and then resell it a pre-determined price.

Guys, forget achat-rachat, it doesn't work for me. Very expensive overall and not sure if they're all the same but Citroen for example wants you to leave the car's purchase price as a deposit until you bring it back.

Would the 330D be eligible to be imported here? That would def be a nice buy, I find it looks better than that C-Class.

Why wouldn't it be if it's a 2001? Not sure who would buy it here though...if there would be any market for it. I'd need to sell it about 7k to break even I think. I'm thinking an AMG would be easier to sell and worth a lot more, especially since it was sold here so parts aren't a problem.

Assurer ta voiture sera pratiquement impossile. En tout cas au canada pour assurer une voiture à un étranger sans permis de conduire canadien et sans pouvoir vérifier son dossier de conduite, en plus pour 3 mois seulement, aucune compagnie ne va le faire.

La location est probablement ta seule option. A moins bien sûr que les règles sont différentes la bas.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I went to Europe and I hate taking trains, or any public transit.

We went to Paris landed at CDG we had an 9h layover so we decided to visit Paris. We took the bus to Paris, from there we only used Trains/buses. Let me tell you that when you have no clue what goes where and how their system works, it's very very hard to get around. And it was in French so way easier to ask people. Would never use public transit in Europe.

Went to Switzerland and rented a car, SO, MUCH. BETTER. then public transit, When you visit a country the last thing you want to do is sit in a bus in rush time...

Hmm I've had zero issues with public transit in Europe(except Dublin but still not bad) or Asia. Work's flawlessly, Of course having a car is better but in/ around the city centre public transit is great.

Fais-en ce que t'en veux mais j'ai fait un séjour de 5jours à Paris en famille l'été passé. Ça nous a coûté 1400$CAD tout inclus (transport, hôtel et amusement). T'as le projet de partir 2-3mois en Europe. L'Europe de l'est ne te coûtera pas une fortune mais des pays comme la France, la Suisse et l'Allemagne... sors ton chéquier.

Would the 330D be eligible to be imported here? That would def be a nice buy, I find it looks better than that C-Class.
Yes in August 2016 You can do 2000 right away or 2001 model year built in 2000.. Shipping container from Rotterdam or Antwerp is around 1200 Euros to Montreal

You will need to secure the fahrzeugbrief which is basically the title to the car and there are a couple of papers (I mean a ton and all in German) to sign. You just need to purchase export plates aka "ausfuhrkennzeichen" but only after you visit the "kfz-zulassungstelle" which will give you permission to buy the plates at a "Kennzeichen-Shop" Bad news, I suggest having a German friend or speaking German at German govt offices... Fact they nicht sprechen Englisch!! and you need to pay tax on the purchase...

You can get export plates on failed TUV cars but I believe those are only valid for 7 days

Assurer ta voiture sera pratiquement impossile. En tout cas au canada pour assurer une voiture à un étranger sans permis de conduire canadien et sans pouvoir vérifier son dossier de conduite, en plus pour 3 mois seulement, aucune compagnie ne va le faire.

La location est probablement ta seule option. A moins bien sûr que les règles sont différentes la bas.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

This exactly!

Aucune assurances Europeenne nassurent les etrangers pour rouler en Europe et aucune assrances Canadienne ne le fera non plus!

I've been toying with this idea for a couple of weeks now and we might do a family eurotrip this summer for 2-3 months.

I quickly checked rental car prices and it's way too expensive (especially given it would need to be an automatic wagon/MPV) so I'm wondering if anyone has done this here: fly to Germany (or other EU country), buy a car, drive it around and resell it before leaving? If yes, how does it work given I am not an EU resident (I do have an EU passport though).

You must be a resident of EU with a valid address to register a car otherwise you will get a transit plate ''for export'' including insurance for 10-30 days. (costs depend on countries )

re-selling won't be easy !

Just an idea, do the math if you ship your current car from here and drive it there (about $2500 there and back)

You must be a resident of EU with a valid address to register a car otherwise you will get a transit plate ''for export'' including insurance for 10-30 days. (costs depend on countries )

Just an idea, do the math if you ship your current car from here and drive it there (about $2500 there and back)

Would have been a great idea for my motorcycle 2 years ago when I studied there. Air Canada apparently offers it, 700$ to Europe (so 1400$ if you bring it back after).

Off topic but I wonder if it would be possible to import a bike with air canada or they need to go through a process that AC won't want to deal with?

Fais-en ce que t'en veux mais j'ai fait un séjour de 5jours à Paris en famille l'été passé. Ça nous a coûté 1400$CAD tout inclus (transport, hôtel et amusement). T'as le projet de partir 2-3mois en Europe. L'Europe de l'est ne te coûtera pas une fortune mais des pays comme la France, la Suisse et l'Allemagne... sors ton chéquier.

Ca serais juste environ 2 semaines en allemagne/pays-bas/suisse/autriche, le reste en roumanie (et p-e grece et bulgarie pour des petits voyages) mais oui, je sais que ca revient cher overall. C'est pour ca que je voudrais pas qu'en plus de toutes les autres depense, je paye 3-4k pour louer une auto.

Yes in August 2016 You can do 2000 right away or 2001 model year built in 2000.. Shipping container from Rotterdam or Antwerp is around 1200 Euros to Montreal

You will need to secure the fahrzeugbrief which is basically the title to the car and there are a couple of papers (I mean a ton and all in German) to sign. You just need to purchase export plates aka "ausfuhrkennzeichen" but only after you visit the "kfz-zulassungstelle" which will give you permission to buy the plates at a "Kennzeichen-Shop" Bad news, I suggest having a German friend or speaking German at German govt offices... Fact they nicht sprechen Englisch!! and you need to pay tax on the purchase...

You can get export plates on failed TUV cars but I believe those are only valid for 7 days

Very good info, ty. What's TUV? their annual inspection? Can you post the link to some companies that ship from Rotterdam/Antwerp for 1200 euros?

I've spoken to some friends there and I indeed, german temp plates are 30 days.

Thought about sending my car there also but doing a round trip would be too costly. It could be worth it if I send it there, use it the time I need and sell it there once I'm done. WIth the euro/CDN $ exchange, it could be an interesting option. Problem is I'd need to buy another car when I get back lol.

If you sell your car there you will need to pay the VAT tax which is around 20% and other ''import fees''

Would have been a great idea for my motorcycle 2 years ago when I studied there. Air Canada apparently offers it, 700$ to Europe (so 1400$ if you bring it back after).

Off topic but I wonder if it would be possible to import a bike with air canada or they need to go through a process that AC won't want to deal with?

Why would you import a bike ?

We don't have enough bikes here ??
paying cheaper with CAD$

If you sell your car there you will need to pay the VAT tax which is around 20% and other ''import fees''

The buyer normally does (or the seller if they register the car before selling) but you're right. There is a little trick though, in Romania at least, Bulgarian laws are very different and many people register cars in Bulgaria for that exact reason.

Ca serais juste environ 2 semaines en allemagne/pays-bas/suisse/autriche, le reste en roumanie (et p-e grece et bulgarie pour des petits voyages) mais oui, je sais que ca revient cher overall. C'est pour ca que je voudrais pas qu'en plus de toutes les autres depense, je paye 3-4k pour louer une auto.

Pour la location de la voiture, ça n'inclut pas les frais en extra: essence et frais de stationnement. Si je me rappelle bien, l'hôtel où je résidais à Paris offrait la possibilité de stationnement à 20Euro/jour. (ie: 300Euro de frais de stationnement à l'hôtel pour les 2semaines en Allemagne/Hollande/Suisse/Autriche).

As-tu évalué les autres modes de transports avant de choisir la voiture? (ie: le train/métro)

Why does it have to be automatic?

Auto transmissions are very rare in europe and it might be hard to resale when you're done.

Pour la location de la voiture, ça n'inclut pas les frais en extra: essence et frais de stationnement. Si je me rappelle bien, l'hôtel où je résidais à Paris offrait la possibilité de stationnement à 20Euro/jour. (ie: 300Euro de frais de stationnement à l'hôtel pour les 2semaines en Allemagne/Hollande/Suisse/Autriche).

As-tu évalué les autres modes de transports avant de choisir la voiture? (ie: le train/métro)

Oui, bagages pour 4 personnes pour 2-3 mois (donc minimum 4 valises) + poussette. Les transports en commun seraient un cauchemar. Si je peux pas avoir une auto, j'y vais pas.
J'eviterais les hebergement au centre des villes. En general je prefere rester plus loin (moins cher + pas de probleme de stationement) et de la prendre le transport en commun si je veux vraiment aller au centre-ville.

Back