*UPDATED* Squamish BC to Calgary AB in 4 (or 8) Minutes

Stirl_ae86

Legacy Member
This is a time lapse from the last leg of my 2 week, ~15,000km cross Canada road trip that I did with a friend a few years ago. We went from Calgary to Nova Scotia (and plenty of places in between), then back to Squamish BC. I dropped my friend off there then drove back to Calgary.

I've done this drive over a dozen times and this was the most frustrating. Constant left lane hogs, construction and slow moving campers. This is why I usually do it at night.

It will appear as a blur to you, but watching this brings back lots of memories. The Infinity G that refused to be passed until a Vette showed us both who was boss. The old Ford pickup that I almost kissed. The motorcycle that cut across 3 lanes to take a late exit without looking and almost became a hood ornament. Good times...

The video quality got seriously degraded on YouTube so be sure to click "1080p".

UPDATE

1/2 speed 8 minute version added:

Last edited:
makes me realise... Canada is boring AF on the roads... looks like quebec.. or any other province!

I suggest you do the same thing... but in Europe!

Most of our roads are definitely not too exciting. The mountains add some nice scenery but the roadways are a joke. There are some nice treasures in this vast country though. The Sea to Sky highway being one... Lillooet to Vancouver is 250km of non stop twisties.

A Euro roadtrip is definitely on my bucket list.

makes me realise... Canada is boring AF on the roads... looks like quebec.. or any other province!

I suggest you do the same thing... but in Europe!

Yep, super fucking boring. It's almost always the same scenery but most of Europe is sorta boring as well unless you get off the mainroads

Main Road
IMG_20150405_190046_zpsvah9jhoj.jpg

Off
pics_zpsf7lof3uv.jpg

sorry OP, I stopped it after like 20 seconds. The images advance so fast it was hurting my eyes and then the song was hurting my ears (not your fault there, I'm just allergic to that type of music).

A trans-canadian road trip is on my bucket list for sure even if I realize most roads are pretty boring.

bro' if you could do Squamish-Cgy in 4 mins, you'd have blurry vision too! Now you know how it is to ride a CF-18 ;)

OP what mods?

just kiddin'!

just curious, how much $ in gas on a trip like that, from lets say QC to BC, and what kind of car / mpg?

I'm highly considering it early next year.

just curious, how much $ in gas on a trip like that, from lets say QC to BC, and what kind of car / mpg?

Just do the math.... 15000km@8l/100km and gas at 1$/l = 1200$

Wtf is the purpose of the 4 min video? You can't see shit at that play speed

That was the "stock" length of the timelapse video. You're right, it's a bit intense. Here's a 1/2 speed 8 minute one, looks a little better. Any slower and I just don't think people have the time/attention span.

sorry OP, I stopped it after like 20 seconds. The images advance so fast it was hurting my eyes and then the song was hurting my ears (not your fault there, I'm just allergic to that type of music).

A trans-canadian road trip is on my bucket list for sure even if I realize most roads are pretty boring.

Slower version with slightly less obnoxious music added. Slightly more watchable?

It will definitely vary. You'll use more in the mountains. Prairies are flat, but the gas has more ethanol so your mileage won't improve much if at all (something I noticed in my Miata when I drove from QC to AB). A safe bet from Montreal to Vancouver would be about 8-9 tanks of gas in an average vehicle. Driving style is a huge factor as well. During this trip, I got 600+kms on some tanks, and less than 400 on others. I got about 350km on one tank blasting around Lake Superior at night.

I still have all the receipts from this trip somewhere, so I should be able to calculate it.

Just do the math.... 15000km@8l/100km and gas at 1$/l = 1200$

C'est 4,500 KM... pas 15,000!!!! donc encore plus ruff comme calcul 4500km @ 10l/100km @ 1$/L = 450$ pas mal loin de ton 1,200$$$$ a ce prix la, prend l'avion!!!

J'ai fait Mtl-Calgary au printemps passe en Corolla et ca a meme pas coute 300$...

C'est 4,500 KM... pas 15,000!!!! donc encore plus ruff comme calcul 4500km @ 10l/100km @ 1$/L = 450$ pas mal loin de ton 1,200$$$$ a ce prix la, prend l'avion!!!

J'ai fait Mtl-Calgary au printemps passe en Corolla et ca a meme pas coute 300$...

Le 15000km je l'ai pris dans le premier post de OP... C'est un road trip au travers du Canada, c'est pas nécessairement Mtl-Bc par le chemin le plus court!

Did you not ask me when I got back from my Montreal to Vancouver trip? I told you it was like around $400 in the Civic, was doing about 650 km per tank or so, can't remember the exact numbers as it was almost 2 years ago.

Back