Help me pick my Winter Tires

FieroAlex

Legacy Member
Hey Guys,

I'm having a hard time picking my winter tires this year.

In the past I always ran studded winter tires however those are banned here in southern Ontario and therefore I need to find an alternative this year.

The tires will be mounted on a 2016 WRX STI.

Tires I am considering:

Blizzak WS-80
Blizzak LM-60
Toyo Observe G3-Ice

Tires I considered but decided to opt out of:
Gislaved NordFrost 100 (bad reviews)
Nokian R2 (out of budget)

I will be doing lots of driving in snowy conditions. I drive to and from Montreal every other month and it seems it's always through a snow storm near Watertown, NY. Locally the plowing is very poor and the roads are often un-plowed during commuting hours as they wait for storms to stop before they begin their operations. We also get severe lake effect storms that pop out of nowhere and dump tons of snow on the roads.

Tires must be:
Good in deep snow and icy conditions
Last a minimum of 3 Winters.

I'm concerned that I will not obtain the lifespan from the Blizzaks, especially since I like to have fun with the car when it is snowing however I know they are the best tires I can get at a reasonable price.

I am familiar with the Toyo's summer line up (Proxes) I am not familiar with their new G3-ICE winter tire. Has anyone here used them?

Help me pick MR.

Just go to Costco and get whatever they're gonna offer you. Typically it's all good stuff and after all you don't really care if it's for a Subaru, as long as it's not some cheap caca tire tire.

hakkapellitta /thread

they last forever and they are so good in the snow it's not funny

It's worth the price since they will work a year or two longer than other.

I will never go back

Why do you pick the G3 ice?

The thing with the ice tires is they're not as good in deeper snow.
Blizzak or Hakka is the way to go.

Why do you pick the G3 ice?

The thing with the ice tires is they're not as good in deeper snow.
Blizzak or Hakka is the way to go.

Good Question. The tread on the G3-ICE is very deep and looks like a good snow tire IMO and does not look like your typical "ICE" tire. It also reminds me a lot of the General Altimax Arctic that I really enjoyed for overall quality, stability and life.

toyo-observe-g3-ice-cloutable-medium.jpg

Just go to Costco and get whatever they're gonna offer you. Typically it's all good stuff and after all you don't really care if it's for a Subaru, as long as it's not some cheap caca tire tire.

Costco is offering me the Best price on the Blizzak WS80 however It's steep at $1100 for a set of tires that would give me a maximum of 1 or 2 winters.. They are also offering me Michelin X-ICE however I hate everything about that tire. There is no where for snow and ice to go so it floats on just about everything.

hakkapellitta /thread

they last forever and they are so good in the snow it's not funny

It's worth the price since they will work a year or two longer than other.

I will never go back

At $1500 for a set of R2's I'm not sure it's worth it since the Stud-less R2's are not rated as well as the Hakka 8's. The Hakka 8's are no longer available as stud-less either.

Moi cette année je me gate, sa sera du Nokian

J'attend la réponse de Carl chez Perry pour le prix

J'aurais pris du Blizzak, mais j'ai pas encore de rabais donc...

Same issue here don't know what to get in 245/40/18. I think I'm going with the blizzak ws80 waiting to hear back from places on prices.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Nokian studded or xIce for me. Nothing else.

xIce very good for highway driving when it's 99% of the time clear.
Nokia just can't beat them for ice. So I have them on the truck.

Good Question. The tread on the G3-ICE is very deep and looks like a good snow tire IMO and does not look like your typical "ICE" tire. It also reminds me a lot of the General Altimax Arctic that I really enjoyed for overall quality, stability and life.

http://www.quattrotires.com/uploads/medias/9905/conversions/toyo-observe-g3-ice-cloutable-medium.jpg

Costco is offering me the Best price on the Blizzak WS80 however It's steep at $1100 for a set of tires that would give me a maximum of 1 or 2 winters.. They are also offering me Michelin X-ICE however I hate everything about that tire. There is no where for snow and ice to go so it floats on just about everything.
WS80 is good when new buy Y-sips just get shitty when they wear off. They get great reviews because they test new tires and not 50% worn ones.

Z-Ice is very very good if you travel on asphalt, which 90% of people near the city do. I had that on my last 4 cars (190E, V50, Jetta, Volt) because those were my commuters for 200km a say on the highway which is 99% of the time dry.

Studded Hakka is just alone is a completely separate league. I've had mine for probably 60k km+ (7 winters now) and they are still going strong with not much wear and not meant atuda ripped off!!!

Je ne peut commenter sur les bad reviews du NordFrost 100, mais j'ai rouler l'hiver dernier la dessus sur mon Tiguan et je les trouves excellent.

Comme point de comparaison, j'ai rouler du Nokian Hakka5 ,Hakka7 et Yokohama Ice Guard IG20.

Same issue here don't know what to get in 245/40/18. I think I'm going with the blizzak ws80 waiting to hear back from places on prices.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Best price so far is Costco at 1130$ installed and tax included for the ws80

WS80 is good when new buy Y-sips just get shitty when they wear off. They get great reviews because they test new tires and not 50% worn ones.

Z-Ice is very very good if you travel on asphalt, which 90% of people near the city do. I had that on my last 4 cars (190E, V50, Jetta, Volt) because those were my commuters for 200km a say on the highway which is 99% of the time dry.

Studded Hakka is just alone is a completely separate league. I've had mine for probably 60k km+ (7 winters now) and they are still going strong with not much wear and not meant atuda ripped off!!!

I wish I could get the studded Haka 8's but I can't as I would be breaking the law.

I had a set of Xice last year on my legacy. I truly hated those tires and never want to have those again. They cannot handle deep snow or slush. The treads just fill up with snow and slush and the tire becomes slick. I've never had a tire where I felt so unsafe before the xice.

I do not live in the city. I'm in a small town with very few plows and poor road clearing. It can take up to 24 hours for the town to plow my street. I need a tire good in deep snow and ice.

I agree x-Ice are not good on snow. Ice they are very good for non studded.

That's why they are recommended for clean highway driving.

tabarnak vous vous preparez pour la fin du monde ou quoi? Les hivers a montreal sont intense mais pas au point que ta besoin des #1 winter tire dans le monde LOL. Va a costco pi acheter le meilleure set qu'il t'offre.

Subaru + ok pneu d'hiver > anything FWD/RWD with the best winter tires.

Je ne peut commenter sur les bad reviews du NordFrost 100, mais j'ai rouler l'hiver dernier la dessus sur mon Tiguan et je les trouves excellent.

Comme point de comparaison, j'ai rouler du Nokian Hakka5 ,Hakka7 et Yokohama Ice Guard IG20.

Sur la Civic à ma femme c est ça qu elle avait l année passée,des NordFrost 100. Elle les a détestés. Elle me disait qu ils étaient instable sur l autoroute. J avais de la difficulté à la croire jusqu'àce que je prenne son auto.Pire merde que j avais eu comme pneus d hiver depuis longtemps. .Je suis présentement à magasiner un bon pneu avec de bons reviews mais j ai l impression qu elle va avoir des Nokian malgré qu overprice à mes yeux

C'est quoi votre opinion sur les nordfrost 200 pour cette année ?

Sinon les ipike de hankook pour une berline sa dit quoi ?

Merci !

Back