The manual transmission is dying, and it is our fault....

Guygeo

Sad but true...

http://jalopnik.com/the-manual-transmission-is-dying-and-its-all-our-fault-1789087773

1st Gear: Manual Transmissions Are Going Quickly. Dammit.

Dammit dammit dammit. The manual transmission—the joy of car enthusiasts around the world, is dying. We knew this, of course, but now we were reminded again by The LA Times, who says less than three percent of cars in the U.S. come with a stick and a clutch.

It’s apparently all our fault, because we, Americans just not buying any of them. And in terms of vehicles offered with manuals, The LA Times shows the numbers are equally as bleak, saying:

In 2006, 47% of new models offered in the U.S. were available with both automatic and manual transmissions, according to a study by Edmunds.com. By 2011, that number had dropped to 37%. This year, the number has fallen to 27%.
The site rounded up brands that don’t offer a single manual, and that includes Mercedes, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Alfa Romeo, Volvo, Lexus, Chrysler and Buick.

They talked with KBB’s senior analyst Karl Brauer who said:

It’s a disgrace...Yes, it’s more troublesome and expensive for the automakers. But it’s completely inexcusable that Ferrari doesn’t even offer a manual.
Damn right it’s a disgrace! Especially when you look at other countries around the world. The LA Times did just that, saying:

Edmunds senior analyst Ivan Drury said fewer than 3% of current U.S. car sales are manual vehicles — compared with 80% in some European and Asian countries, and down in the U.S. from 7% in 2012 and 25% in 1992.
And, in the most depressing thing you’ll read all day, the article ended with this line:

“That number is never going to go back up,” Drury said. “The trajectory is down, headed for zero.”
I’m crying.

Honnêtement, mon prochain char va être automatique.

Je fais que de la ville pendant l heure de pointe. Je commence à être tanné de shifter 4 millions de fois pendant 1h.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Avec les performances que la DSG me donne, le launch control, sa versatilité dans le traffic ou quand t'a une main occupé(café.. etc), je dois malheureusement dire que je m'ennuie pas beaucoup d'une voiture manuelle. N'empêche que je trouve extrêmement dommage de les voir partir à petit feu. Ferait chier si dans 10-15 ans je veux me pogner un summer car manuel et que c'est rendu presque inexistant.. en même temps je comprend que la demande est plus la vraiment..

Lazy ass North Americans, most obese and lazy people on the planet. Can't even operate a manual gearbox.

My biggest issue with auto and DSG boxes, when there is a technical issue it is $$$ to resolve with all their electronics and control modules. Manuals are much more robust.

Anyways, screw gearboxes altogether, next car is electric.

I couldn't care less that the DSG is more performant.

Nothing beats the feeling of a manual.

Auto for the daily and manual for the toy. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Baby Boomer are old = Automatic
Kids of said Baby boomer = aging = automatic
Generation X, Y and millenial = automatic, cause don't care of car, need new iphone period

For the very few ''enthausiast'' its a disgrace, but it is what it is.

I'm 38, my daily is a 9 speed auto 200S and a 8 speed Ram
My toy is a a 5 speed manual

I won't buy another new manual car to let it sit in the garage.

Plus were can we have fun with our manual daily....can't go too fast, speeding camera everywhere, people complaint for just about anything that make noise, go fast or look dangerous...

C'est la faute de la société. Who the fuck cares, c'est juste une transmission.

Ceux qui aiment conduire, ceux qui réparent leur propre char et qui veulent pas de quoi de pas solide comme une automatique peut-être ?

Meh maybe in USA but in Europe all those cars with little engines still need manuals and people still buy manuals there. Good luck in a 1.2 Note with an auto gearbox.

Ma Civic Si est rentrée au garage et je l'ai pas eu pendant 2 semaines à cause que la syncro était à remplacer. Ma Jetta GLI avec transmission DSG était chippée 1 semaine plus tard et pendant 48 mois, elle n'a jamais montrée un signe de fatigue. J'aime conduire mais j'ai rien à prouver. Oh shit, tu conduits manuel! Wow! Sérieux?

Mes voitures sont toutes louées et toujours couvert sous la garantie. J'en ai rien à fouttre de perdre 4 heures de mes précieuses fin de semaine à travailler sur mon char. Le temps c'est de l'argent et mon dd va toujours être automatique à moins que seul la manuelle est offerte.

Pour un jouet de weekend, la c'est différent.

Les automatiques sont moins fiable 99.9% du temps et coute plus chère à réparer 100% du temps, il y a juste aucune obstination a avoir la dessus. une transmission manuelle c'est comme un gros différentiel un peu plus compliqué, un automatique c'est remplis de clutchpack qui use, c'est contrôlé électroniquement avec plein de selenoid avec un potentiel de bris mécanique beaucoup plus grand. Tu viens de prouver ce que je dis, char loué, pas de misère a te croire que tu te fou de la durabilité.

... une transmission manuelle c'est comme un gros différentiel un peu plus compliqué...

Ok je pense qu'on peut fermer le thread. Tout a été dit.

Différentiel:
2.gif

Transmission manuelle:
Manual_transmission_F_02_11_2010-390x302.jpg

Ma pensée:
Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

Back