Ford sues Ferrari over the F150 name

VWSpeed

If Enzo Ferrari would have sold to Ford in the 60's it would not be an issue today...then again, Ferrari may have gone bankrupt with Ford running it.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/02/ford-to-ask-courts-to-stop-ferrari-from-using-f150-name.html

Ford filed a lawsuit Wednesday asking a court for an injunction against Ferrari over the use of the F150 name for Ferrari's latest Formula 1 racecar, the automaker said.

"F-150® is an established and important Ford trademark and the name of the best-seller in Ford’s F-Series, America’s best-selling trucks for 34 years and best-selling vehicles for 29 years," Ford said in a statement Wednesday. "Through extensive sales and advertising and exclusive use, Ford has earned invaluable goodwill in the F-150® trademark. That hard-won goodwill is seriously threatened by Ferrari’s adoption of 'F150'."

Indeed, Ford claims, "when Ferrari announced the name of its race car as 'F150', Ford asked Ferrari to change the name. Ferrari did not respond in a timely manner, leaving Ford no choice but to take legal action to protect its important brand and trademark rights," the automaker said in a statement this afternoon.

The Italian sports car maker chose the F150 name to pay tribute to this year's 150th anniversary of the unification of Italy, but it's also the well-known and longtime name of Ford's half-ton pickup truck, * the best-selling vehicle in Ford's U.S. lineup.

We've asked Ferrari for comment, but have not yet heard back.

just like BMW tried to sue infinity for the use of "M" in promotions for the m45 or one of the m series cars and saying the letter M is bmw trademark and will confuse customers.....

Who fucking cares, these cars have nothing in common. There some much worse cases, like the Hyundai and Toyota Matrix, which are in the same segment (don't know if they sold in the same country with the same name though).

this is a great move from ford, whether they win or lose it will just publisize the brand even more

there are millions of marketing ideas to gain from a race car with same name

Legally there is no basis for this.

Ford seems to be making publicity. I hope Ferrari counterclaims and sues Ford.

Legally there is no basis for this.

Ford seems to be making publicity. I hope Ferrari counterclaims and sues Ford.

x2 I hope Ferrari fucking crushes them for humiliation.

A high class exotics sports car company wipes their asses with things more important than Ford.

Bad move on Ford imo, whether they get publicity or not.

x2 I hope Ferrari fucking crushes them for humiliation.

A high class exotics sports car company wipes their asses with things more important than Ford.

Bad move on Ford imo, whether they get publicity or not.

Meh, compare the amount of cars ford sells in a year to what ferrari does . Dont tell me ford isn't important .
I know they aren't in the same league at all but Ford has its presence

Back