Little Info On VW's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Youngstarintheciv

I dont know very much about VW's as u can tell by the name I am more of a honda guy. What are the basic bolt on mods for both the 1.8t and vr6 GTI? I am interested in financing a GTI this year but I dont know weather one is better than the other b/c I dont know too much about them. Maybe if somebody can gimme some pros and cons for each. I basically want a quite fast daily driver but it also has to be reliable. Another question is can u turbocharge a Vr6? Also if somebody knows some good brands for bolt on parts and body kits etc. that would be very helpful.
Thanks y'all
Karim

Well it all depends. The models are getting closer and closer to each other. The vr6 is an engine which is built for raw power with an insane sound, but it's heavy. The 1.8T is a more refined engine, but can come up with just as much power as the vr6. If you wanna mod one, I would suggest the 1.8T, a simple chip, better intercooler, and an exhaust and you're up to 225hp easy, possibly more... Not to expensive either. The vr6 can come up to those numbers as well, but it'll cost you a little more. And yes you can supercharge or turbo the vr6. In which case that's just mad power. There's a golf out in europe with a twin turbo setup on a vr with excess of 800 ponies. I'll link the site when I get home from school.

It all depends on your budget. If you want a not too expensive car that'll easily be into the 250 range, I'd choose the 1.8T Cheaper to buy and less expensive to mod in my opinion. plus it's turbo. It's a matter of opinion.

As for reliability, it's a volkswagen... very reliable engines, it's just the extra things that'll fall apart. Window regulators, O2 sensors, MAF sensor, those type of things. I could tell you quite a bit about them, I've got an mk4.

Is it easy to get even more ponies out of the 1.8t more than 250?. Anybody else have any opionons?
Also Daso (or anyone else) could u tell me some respectable brands too. I would only want the best names and parts on my car.
Thanks Karim

If you're gonna go for big HP numbers...VR6 is no doubt your best bet! 1.8t is only better if you plan on staying under 300hp! IMHO

i would probaly want the GTI to be about 250-300 hp
Would u say I should still stick with the 1.8t?

VR6 with a JAP Tuning Turbo for around 8500$ = 350HP with a lot more TORQUE than a 1.8T

well for suspension, blistein, H&R, neuspeed.
for body kits, oettinger, projeztwo (or something like that.) my 2 fav.
chips, I'd suggest garret, authority.
exhaust, I've got the neuspeed cat-back and I'm happy with it, apparently the TT exhaust is nice too.
wheels, as long as you like it that what counts.
tires, go get info, I've got potenza's on mine and they're pretty sticky.

Other than that, go and take a look and research, that's what I did.

If you're looking for a 250-300 hp setup, I'd go with the 1.8T myself. I've driven the vr6 and personally didn't like it. It's got loads of power don't get me wrong, but it's front heavy the car. I'm sure that with a well sorted suspension it can get pretty good, but the lightness of the 1.8T just appeals to me. You've also got that little turbo whine....

apparently, the 1.8T's are bulletproof motors.
adrenaline motorsports have done 1.8T swaps into a Mk1 Scirocco and a Corrado, and they're pushing 400+ hp. well, that's what they claim. what do we need all that horsepower
for though? more problems!#@

if there is one thing that i have learned in modifying cars is that the more @#%$ that you do to them, the more crap that can go wrong. they lose they're reliability for being everyday drivers. i think an ideal car for everyday and fast car would be something that can do low/mid 14's. i (personally) don't need anything faster. it would be nice to say that i have 400+ hp, but i don't think my wallet will like it as much. every week something will be on fritz when you got so much aftermarket stuff on it.

i dunno, this is just me.
s'all good :)

paully

if I'm not mistaken, the 1.8T is built to take 22psi on stock internals. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I know it's overengineered. So just by upping the boost with a chip or boost controller, putting a front mounted intercooler, you've got lot's of power, and the engine is still reliable. That's why I would choose it.

K K
Thanks for ur words of wisdom.
This morning I prefered a Vr6 but tonight I'm more open for the 1.8t.
Anybody else have some other things to add.
What can I do u upgrade the turbo in the 1.8t?
Is it easy and is there endless stuff I can do?
By the way thanks Jap tuning however 8500 is kinda a lot for me. I'm a student.
Thanks Again
Karim

well you could gain 30 HP getting a P-chip. that will raise your boost to 0.8 bas (i think) . dont forget also the 1.8T is much lighter than a vr6 and turbo engines are much esier to mod.

the p-chip from neuspeed, raised the turbo to 1 bar, about 14.5 psi of nboost, bringing it to about 180hp, on the 150hp version. The new 1.8T is already 180hp, so I'm guessing a chip will pop it up into the 200's. If you're gonna change your turbo to put on a bigger one, make sure you research it well. Don't go putting on a bigger tubro which the engine won't be able to spool. You'll have way too much lag. Lot's of top end, but no low end.

Just look around, and research and go with what's best for you.

No I'm not interested in switching the turbo any time soon
I was just wondering.
I dont want to get bored further down the road.
Karim

WEIGHTS:
2002 GTI 1.8T = 1330 KG
2002 GTI VR6 = 1366 KG

Not much difference is there?? The 1.8t is quite a heavy engine for a 4 cylinder? Ever see how much room it takes in an engine bay? None less then a VR6!

Not to mention the fact that the VR6 has bigger brakes (also 3-channel with electronic break pressure distribution) , Stabalizer bars (front and back), bigger rims (16 vs. 17).

All this info is from www.vw.com/gti/canspec.htm

The 1.8t is quite a bit less refind than the VR6 in many other aspects! And when the 24v VR6 hits our shores... It will reign once again..but the 1.8t is a close second!

vrsik ur vote is on the 24v vr6 then
hmm strong points for both I dont know which to go for
Karim

but you've got to check the weight distibution as well, not just the total weight of the car. unless you're planing on putting in a suspension to adjust the front heavyness of a vr6, I'd stick with the 1.8T. But that's just because I'm partial to 4 bangers.

Daso u own a 1.8 right?
what mods have u done to it and what are u planing to do to it?

The 1.8T motor is a tuners delight. It's built real strong and is very easy to upgrade.
Neuspeed has a turbo upgrade good for 240hp and there are others that are good for 300+hp.
If you get the 2002 (actually the 2001.5 and up) 1.8T you will already have the bigger turbo (compressor side) and variable valve timing. With a couple of well placed modes (Neuspeed chip, exhaust, downpipe, and P-flow) you will get almost 220hp. The earlier 1.8T have the smaller KKK03 turbo and was good for about 200hp with the same mods. Lots and lots of torque also. Like 230lbs/ft!!

nope, I own a 2.slow unfortunately. but if I were to switch or swap that's the engine I'd want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back