1.8T swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daso

I'm curious as to know how much one of these would run. I'm talking about the complete price where you drive off, not just the engine price.

I know how much a vr6 swap is, but I'm clueless for a 1.8T. If anyone knows where I can get info on it or know how much themselves, please share. Any reputable shops do these? and how long does it take for a swap to be complete?

thanks.

1.8T swaps...

As the first shop in North America to do those swaps with DBW systems and in A2,A3 chassis, I think Trac could help you with the different details concerning this type of swap. but not here on a board. You can come see me anytime, just call firt and ask for me, I'll be delighted to help you make a decision with your project.

eurospec in the US sells the 1.8T conversion kit for an VW for $6650 US! i've seen prices range from all sorts of places. momentum probably does some of the cleanest swaps and i've seen that they charge 10k+ in certain cars!! yikes! but at least you know it's being done right...

A318Tkit.jpg

actually psycho you are right the most important thing in a swap (specially the 1.8T) is the installation, choose your shop right. Price is far 4th, after ligitimate parts 2nd and warranty 3rd.

Well, I'm just getting information to know where I'm headed. I'd like to swap, but then again, my car's a 99 mk4, so it's still got some value. So I'm wondering if instead of doing a swap or fiddling with the 2.0L, I should sell it and get a new one. It would cost more than modding, but I'd be under warrenty for 4 years bumper bumper..

My warrenty on this one runs out in a year and a half, so I'm gonna wait till that's over to either switch cars or swap or go FI, or something. Cause I'm not happy with the performance of the engine. I've also got to look at price too, with what advantages/disadvantages they bring.

I've got time to think about it, but I beleive I will pass by some day. It'll give me a better idea of the direction to take.

I'd suggest that you just sell your car and buy a 1.8t! If your car is a 2000, then in 2 years it'll still be worth at least 16000$! Put in the cash you would spend for a swap and buy a brand new one! If not brand new..get a year old from the dealer and you'll still have full warranty!

You'll be MUCH happier this way, and you'll have the traction control, the seats, all the other features that you don't have on the 2.0!

the only thing I don't have that the 1.8T has is the traction control, the heated seats, and obviously the engine... everything else is the same.

the disasters i have heard of 1.8T swaps are the only thing that scares me about them. i'm sure trac is reputable enough to pull it off, that's for sure. but if you're planning on attemping it yourself, you're going to run into some serious headaches. even hardcore shops in BC have screwed up some cars from what i've heard. andy varga that used to work at RPI had a 1.8T swapped into his A2 Golf and it was done by HPA motorsports. apparently the car was having SERIOUS electrical problems and would sit at HPA for month's at a time to figure it out. and these guys pull of VR6 Beetle swaps and pretty much know what they're doing.

the difficult thing about the swap now it that people don't know how to cut corners in it. VR6 swaps when they we're first done would cost up to 10k US to do, now you can have it done for around, what? 3k?

soon enough, people will figure out and easy way to do it (that's if there is...) and it'll come down in price.

GL!

paully

There is a golf that trac did a 1.8t swap on it! (red with textured bumpers) and apperantly this car is running REALLLY BAD! But John's (white jetta from NY) is doing great!

Kacey, the car you are talking about is not running like crap because of the swap...it was always an "ordinary maintained" car. Unfortunately the customer asked to do some of the job himself to "save" a bit of cash, couldn't pay for stainless piping, is chipped with a non-GIAC product, had a big incident on the road and has experience boost problem ever since. (and he now works for a competitor that you know)

Sounds more like a whining customer who wants to diss the competition more than anything else.

Our tech who installed that swap is the most experience VW tech in NA for swaps, he has over 40 swaps to his credit, all perfect jobs, he's also a master car electrician and a student in Mechanical engineering. Trac is only as good as its technicians, and we have the best!

Tx Daso, I hate doing this but from time to time I have to remind people that Trac is a bit different then the rest of the shops out there, I can do a mean driving, I know how to set up cars but I need mechanics and technician that are a million times better than me at what they do. I'm simply lucky that the members of the Trac familly are that good.

That's the problem, alot of shops out there have one good person working for them, or they've got a good sales rep, but the mecanics are so so only. That's why for most of my stuff I do it on my own, at least I know it's well done. But I'm not up for a swap just yet. Lack of space and tools. Once I find a good shop for one, I'll probably be more inclined to do one. Cause right now, I'm thinking supercharger. It's easy to install, I can do it myself, and it gives a little more power. Not the ideal solution, but it's cheaper than changing cars or a swap. And you get more power than remaining NA.

I've got lot's of time to think about it though. I'm in no rush for this. That's when you make mistakes, when you're hasty.

How long does it normally take to complete a swap? Just a ball park figure would be nice.

depending on the type of swap 2.0, TDI,G60, 16V, 1.8T, VR6 to which type of chassis: A1,A2,A3,A4....

But in the case of an A4 receiving a 1.8T it would be quite fast under 30 hours most probably if transfered to a DBW, if not even faster... again depending on the time of year, winter is better for fast swapping (January)

I wasn't puting you down at all Steph! I know you guys are the best around! All I was stating was that any good shop has a bad outcome once in a while!

I know thats what you meant and that you didn't mean any dissrespect, but in that case I needed to tell it straight so that it wouldn't be misinterpreted....actually the owner of that car is supposedly coming by tonight to make sure that we get it from the horses mouth....;)

Don't get me wrong, we do mistakes like any human being, but usually a professional shop repairs its mistake. And by saying that the swapped car was going REALLY BAD, I was affraid somebody could think that it was our wrong doing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back